Transition from iPhone to the Note 4

raf66

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Hi everyone. It's been awhile since I logged into the site for assistance. Well at least 2 years since moving from my old Droid X to the iP5.

Anyway, earlier this evening I preordered the N4 through BB. I'm excited about the N4 after spending some time with it at BB and comparing it to the iP6+. The screen is awesome and I frankly was ready for something different than iOS. My question for you Android pros is how to move my music collection from iTunes to my new N4. Is it fairly straightforward? What about videos? Same process? After backing up my iP5, is there an easy way to move my contacts over?

Sorry if these are amateurish questions but I'm just hoping for a smooth transition.

Thanks for your guidance.

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Re: Transition from iP5 to N4

Hi everyone. It's been awhile since I logged into the site for assistance. Well at least 2 years since moving from my old Droid X to the iP5.

Anyway, earlier this evening I preordered the N4 through BB. I'm excited about the N4 after spending some time with it at BB and comparing it to the iP6+. The screen is awesome and I frankly was ready for something different than iOS. My question for you Android pros is how to move my music collection from iTunes to my new N4. Is it fairly straightforward? What about videos? Same process? After backing up my iP5, is there an easy way to move my contacts over?

Sorry if these are amateurish questions but I'm just hoping for a smooth transition.

Thanks for your guidance.

Apple does not make it very easy to go from Apple to Android. The other way, is easier. With that in mind, the transfer from ITunes to Google Music Is easy. Its done though Google Music Manager. It will ask you if you want it to search your hard drive for ITunes and it will do it for you. Calendar info on the other hand is not as easy. The contacts, I wound up having to do by hand. The conversion worked but, the mobile number did not port over to the mobile number on gmail contacts so, I had to manually change some of them. The bright side,,,, it allows you to do some housecleaning before you start the transfer process. I believe it took me about 2 weeks off and on to get everything set up just the way I wanted it.

I went from the IP4 to the S3 and hated the S3 so, I went back to Crapple and got an IP5. I vowed never to leave Apple and stay with it. Then one day, I walked into Verizon and saw the N3 and that was it. At that time I also got the promotion to get the Galaxy Gear watch at a discount price. Ever since then, I never looked back and now I am looking forward to trading up to the N4. Finally and Android that I actually enjoy using. The battery life on the N3 was way better than the IP5. The pictures it takes are awesome as well.

You can always do a Google search on how to transfer stuff over. All in all, it was not all that bad. Not sure I would want to redo it again. Then again, I do not plan on switching back to Apple.

dohlo

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site

I can't recall if a single license was free or if I paid... But a program called iExplorer made it pretty easy for me to move pretty much everything from my iPhone to designated folders on my PC. I originally used it for backing up files with my devices jail broken, and when I did the switch last week I figured it would make things pretty seamless. My contacts had never been synced with an email account so I had to make a vCard to upload them to my existing gmail account, and once uploaded I think they were basically right there with my gmail account already synced on the S5. I made a separate folder for my photos to go to before uploading them to the SD card, worked just like any other photo transfer.

I've seen people talk about an app called Double Twist to transfer music and iTunes media files to their new device with pretty good success. However I stumbled upon a program called Easy Phone Tunes, it required a PC download as well but it seamlessly put all my music/videos/playlists to the SD card with the phone connected to the PC.

If the iExplorer license is free, or he'll even if it's a couple bucks it's worth looking in to. It literally takes every file off your ios device, even your messages and voicemail history, and saves in in folders of your choice on your computer and even creates backups that don't require iTunes. I hope it doesn't seem like I'm preaching about Apple or the program, I just think it's a great option to try and sync all your info with ease :)

Cheers

salmanahmad

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site

The Nexus 4 is even today a great device, and you'll likely also see the Android L update on it soon.

Have fun with your new device OP. :)

raf66

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site

Thanks for the replies. Since I've got all my contacts and calendar items on my office Gmail account and sync them through the Gmail account into Microsoft Outlook, I'm thinking that maybe the transition may be fairly easy on those items. I'm assuming that the Android OS recognizes Exchange email accounts? I hope so as I do not much want to use the Gmail mail account app.

The media (music and video) transfer sounds like it may be more of a challenge, though there are apparently some apps/software that can assist me.

Thanks again for your help. I'm excited about getting the new device. I am getting some grief from my office colleagues (and some family members) who have iPhones as they do not like the fact that our text messages back-and-forth will now show mine in green. It's funny that I was more than a year into my ownership of the iPhone before I even paid attention to the fact that some messages appeared in green while others appeared in blue. Apparently that distinction holds little value to me.

goin_nil

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site

I'm assuming that the Android OS recognizes Exchange email accounts? I hope so as I do not much want to use the Gmail mail account app.

Yes it does. One important piece of advice if you use Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync, don't set the sync option to "push" (which means immediate delivery). I have found that this drains my battery much faster than if I set it to "sync every 5 minutes" or "sync every 15 minutes".
Unless you need to know immediately when you get an email, set it to something else.

It's odd that Gmail delivers email immediately and does not seem to negatively impact battery, but Microsoft's is a battery hog. Something is not right in their implementation of sync.

Phillip Pugh

Banned
Nov 21, 2013
Visit site

Thanks for the replies. Since I've got all my contacts and calendar items on my office Gmail account and sync them through the Gmail account into Microsoft Outlook, I'm thinking that maybe the transition may be fairly easy on those items. I'm assuming that the Android OS recognizes Exchange email accounts? I hope so as I do not much want to use the Gmail mail account app.

The media (music and video) transfer sounds like it may be more of a challenge, though there are apparently some apps/software that can assist me.

Thanks again for your help. I'm excited about getting the new device. I am getting some grief from my office colleagues (and some family members) who have iPhones as they do not like the fact that our text messages back-and-forth will now show mine in green. It's funny that I was more than a year into my ownership of the iPhone before I even paid attention to the fact that some messages appeared in green while others appeared in blue. Apparently that distinction holds little value to me.

Rock on with your new n4 don't worry about the hates believe me they want what you have there just stuck in a rutt with old technology welcome to the new age

Posted via Android Central App

muadib279

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

If you use itunes, checkout the app synctunes. With it, you can copy both your music & videos to your android phone.

stackberry369

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site

Apple does not make it very easy to go from Apple to Android. The other way, is easier. With that in mind, the transfer from ITunes to Google Music Is easy. Its done though Google Music Manager. It will ask you if you want it to search your hard drive for ITunes and it will do it for you. Calendar info on the other hand is not as easy. The contacts, I wound up having to do by hand. The conversion worked but, the mobile number did not port over to the mobile number on gmail contacts so, I had to manually change some of them. The bright side,,,, it allows you to do some housecleaning before you start the transfer process. I believe it took me about 2 weeks off and on to get everything set up just the way I wanted it.

I went from the IP4 to the S3 and hated the S3 so, I went back to Crapple and got an IP5. I vowed never to leave Apple and stay with it. Then one day, I walked into Verizon and saw the N3 and that was it. At that time I also got the promotion to get the Galaxy Gear watch at a discount price. Ever since then, I never looked back and now I am looking forward to trading up to the N4. Finally and Android that I actually enjoy using. The battery life on the N3 was way better than the IP5. The pictures it takes are awesome as well.

You can always do a Google search on how to transfer stuff over. All in all, it was not all that bad. Not sure I would want to redo it again. Then again, I do not plan on switching back to Apple.

And you can customize your phone.... Unlike crapple

raf66

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Transition from iP5 to N4

And you can customize your phone.... Unlike crapple

I've enjoyed my iPhone 5 and I like my iMac, so I'm not prepared to call Apple a disparaging moniker. But I do like the Note 4 better than the iPhone 6+ from what I've seen in BB, and that led me to pre-order the N4. Calling the competition names because YOU don't prefer the products it produces is a bit sophomoric in my opinion. No offense to those who do as it is your right, but this is the type of thing that diminishes your argument.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AlusionL

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site

I've enjoyed my iPhone 5 and I like my iMac, so I'm not prepared to call Apple a disparaging moniker. But I do like the Note 4 better than the iPhone 6+ from what I've seen in BB, and that led me to pre-order the N4. Calling the competition names because YOU don't prefer the products it produces is a bit sophomoric in my opinion. No offense to those who do as it is your right, but this is the type of thing that diminishes your argument.

Im against calling names to anything, but Apple is one that truly deserves them. Ripping people off in return for crappy devices like the i****

Posted via the Android Central App

raf66

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site

I think most iPhone people and Apple people in general would disagree with you about being ripped off, and frankly most everyone agrees that the new iPhones are NOT crappy devices. My reason for moving over to the N4 is that I like it better. But to argue that the iP6 or 6+ are "crappy" devices is absurd. Again your preferences are YOUR preferences, but iPhones are wildly successful and get darn good reviews, so your argument sounds a bit "off".

Buy what you like, and like what you buy. I love capitalism.

AlusionL

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
But some things are just cold facts.

In a lot of ways, iPhone is just no way nearly as good as other phones, no matter how many good reviews it gets.

For example, the option to customize is better than not to. Androids give two in one, whereas Apple gives you no option.

Posted via the Android Central App

raf66

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site

Well I'm not here as an Apple apologist, so we'll just agree to disagree. I'm happy with my choice of the Note 4. I don't really care as much about customization as I do about my device working without fail. My iPhone 5 did that, and I'm assuming my N4 will as well.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae