Buying the Note 4 outright

harryhayde

Jul 12, 2014
Visit site
I'm gonna be purchasing the Note 4 from best buy on the 23rd for Verizon, does anyone see any issues I might have?

Posted via the Android Central App

Crimsonforce

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm gonna be purchasing the Note 4 from best buy on the 23rd for Verizon, does anyone see any issues I might have?

I may have to buy outright also as Verizon ended the early Edge upgrade they were offering on 9/30. I was planning on upgrading via edge..

harryhayde

Jul 12, 2014
Visit site
I'm purchasing outright because I don't want to wait until next year to upgrade. I was planning on buying a BlackBerry Passport, but it is not available on Verizon :( so I decided that this is a good time to try android, I've been a BlackBerry user for 6 years lol

reesh11

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
I was wanting to start a thread on this subject but I'm glad someone else did. I am buying outright on AT&T bit I am wondering if it isn't better to get AT&T Next? While I want a lower monthly bill I want it to have a high resell value as well. I haven't kept a phone for an entire year in a long time so I'll bet it's a better value for me to get Next. I'd only end up paying $429 for the 12 months then I'd trade it in for the next Note phone yearly. But once again, my bill would be $41 extra dollars even with the discount idk if I want to go that route...

Posted via Android Central App

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
No issues. There's nothing stopping anyone from buying a phone full retail. Edge, Next and Jump are all good options too provided you have excellent credit. Buying full retail allows you to take the phone somewhere else anytime you want. You can also self upgrade by selling, recouping, then buying another device.

harryhayde

Jul 12, 2014
Visit site
I just went into best buy to preorder the Note 4 for Verizon as they do a down payment of 50$ They tried to go into the system and when they selected the Note 4 it said it was not available for preorder. Did not say why, so then I went to Verizon I know the manager, and to preorder the phone from the verizon store you have to pay the full fee early lol! All I all, I'm gonna buy it on the day of release

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
I was wanting to start a thread on this subject but I'm glad someone else did. I am buying outright on AT&T bit I am wondering if it isn't better to get AT&T Next? While I want a lower monthly bill I want it to have a high resell value as well. I haven't kept a phone for an entire year in a long time so I'll bet it's a better value for me to get Next. I'd only end up paying $429 for the 12 months then I'd trade it in for the next Note phone yearly. But once again, my bill would be $41 extra dollars even with the discount idk if I want to go that route...

I go through phones once per year. So, when I left Apple to buy the Note, I had a choice to either pay full retail, renew another line or do the Edge. I chose to do the Edge. I am 10 months in and ready to upgrade to the Note 4. If I was to sell my Note 3 back to Gazelle, they would give me $200 on a device that was close to $700 originally, Of course with the Edge program, I am supposed to pay off the entire balance OR give back the phone. With the Edge program, I get a line discount of $25 per month. So, in reality after the discount I am paying $5 per month to be on the Edge program. That would take me well over 10 years on the Edge to recoup my cost if I purchased it outright or, if I bought it outright, I would have lost $500 the first year on the phone. Granted, I could sell it on Ebay which I have done in the past but, they take 20% for their fees.

Now for another predicament. Now that I know I am due for an upgrade, do I do the Note 4 or try another device. After all, technically, I am only into a phone for as little as 30 days or 10 months so, if I get into another phone and dislike it, I can get out of it without too much monetary loss. For me, this is the first phone that I really enjoy and the difference between the Note 3 and Note 4 is not too much that wowed me. So, in a way, I really do not want to give back the phone but, if I keep it past the year, I should have just gotten into another 2 year contract. That is the bad part.

On the flipside, when I had my IPhone 5, what allowed me to take a chance was the Edge program. I knew that I could get out of the Note 3 if I did not like it with no long term commitment. Otherwise, I probably would have remained an Apple fan and never went back to Android again.

Sorry if I confused you but, in many ways I am a fan of the Edge or Next program. Of course, others will disagree and if you do a search on the Edge program or Next you will see a lot of varying opinions.

reesh11

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
www.swappa.com

I upgrade yearly and sell my old phones on swappa.

I've looked on that site and I'm not a fan. But then again I haven't really used it much. See my problem is that I got the HTC One in June on two year contract. If I go to Next on my current line I'd have to pay ETF (at least that's what I was Todd although he said it was only 100 something dollars) or add a line and switch my number to the new line. My old line would then go to my 6 year old daughter (don't laugh lol she'd only be getting an old cheap basic phone) then my bill would be really high. I will call again and check because if I can get my current line to Next that's what I'll do. The longest phone I had was the S3 I think for about a year haha

ctk4949

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
If you are gonna pay full price why not buy it at Worst Buy and get the $200 for trading in a smartphone??

reesh11

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
I was told yes by two stores and no by two stores. Three employees from the same store said yes. Majority wins right? My co-workers daughter used to be a manager at BB she is looking into it for me. Will report back.

TechNut79

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Thanks! Another thread has a mobile associate in it and he said you just have to preorder and have a working phone with some value to qualify. I already preordered through verizonwireless.com.

Note 2 via Android Central App

reesh11

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
I pre ordered thru AT&T and BB because if BB messes this up I'll just do it the Samsung way. I feel the 17th will be a day of great joy and pain for many lol

sux2bu

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
I'm buying mine outright. Pre-ordered from Verizon wireless. I have two unlimited lines and a third dummy line so I can still get my subsidy phones and keep my unlimited. I had to buy this one full price because my next upgrade isn't till late next month. Then I have another in may and another in October. With these three lines I can get an upgrade every 8 months.

reesh11

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
I'm buying mine outright. Pre-ordered from Verizon wireless. I have two unlimited lines and a third dummy line so I can still get my subsidy phones and keep my unlimited. I had to buy this one full price because my next upgrade isn't till late next month. Then I have another in may and another in October. With these three lines I can get an upgrade every 8 months.

How much is your dummy line? I was hoping mine would only be $9 but it's $20 to add a "dumbphone" on AT&T!