Note 4 Android Authority Review

anon(469638)

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Overall, a very impressive phone as we knew it would be.

Points I've taken away:

1. TouchWiz isn't bogging down the device as it has in the past. The functionality with the SPen is a big plus in its favor.

2. Screen is great; viewing angles, clarity and brightness.

3. Build is a major step forward. (That black model is sick!!!)

4. Camera performance in low light is definitely better thanks to OIS.

What else is there to say...Go ahead and watch!

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Review!: Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Review! - YouTube

TransAm461

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
Re: Android Authority Review

That's a nice review! Thanks for posting...the black sure is nice, but I will be plenty satisfied with my White one I pre-oerded....it will be nice for change as I've always owned black phones. Also, I've already checked out the White in person and it's Purdy too!! :)

Brian

TheDonJ77

May 13, 2011
Visit site

Outstanding review. So glad I pre-ordered this sexy white beast! A device worthy of my money with innovation. My first ever Note, I'm pumped!!! 12 more days!!!

honey_bee_33

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

I haven't had a black phone in some years...and the black is nice, but boy how i wished tmobile carried the pink...lol

anon(469638)

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site

I haven't had a black phone in some years...and the black is nice, but boy how i wished tmobile carried the pink...lol

Though as a guy, pink isn't my color, it still looks good.

I think the only color that looks horrible is the gold one. Its hideous. Maybe they should have done a black face with gold trim like the S5.

Peter McCain

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site

The White Note 4 is gorgeous. The black looks good on the video, but you can compare them in the store.. You will see the difference.

Posted via Android Central App

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site

The part about meeting Samsung's second claim about the charging "to 100% in 100 minutes" is crap. My Note 3 can do that. I hope it's 0 to 100 in under an hour. The camera review was pretty short and lacking confidence in low light performance.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

IrishFXDB

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site

17% battery remaining in a screenshot showing only 4 hours and 25 minutes of screen on time concerns me greatly. My S5 usually does better than that.

If the Note 4 has the same battery issues the G3 I used for 2 weeks had it will further convince me that 4k screens are more than current battery tech can handle and the lack of real 4k content means they aren't even worth the loss yet.

Pushing specs just to push specs is stupid when you lose important function as a result. Imagine the same hardware and battery powering a less hungry 1080p screen...

I don't want to jump to conclusions yet and I'm holding final judgment until more reviews come out, but the battery shown in that video wasn't what I want to see.

Posted via the Android Central App

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

17% battery remaining in a screenshot showing only 4 hours and 25 minutes of screen on time concerns me greatly. My S5 usually does better than that.

If the Note 4 has the same battery issues the G3 I used for 2 weeks had it will further convince me that 4k screens are more than current battery tech can handle and the lack of real 4k content means they aren't even worth the loss yet.

Pushing specs just to push specs is stupid when you lose important function as a result. Imagine the same hardware and battery powering a less hungry 1080p screen...

I don't want to jump to conclusions yet and I'm holding final judgment until more reviews come out, but the battery shown in that video wasn't what I want to see.

He abused it too. Gaming and downloading isn't exactly friendly. You'll see around 5 hours of display and remember he did say this is what you expect from a phone that size.

Samsung Galaxy S5 (Verizon)

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site

He abused it too. Gaming and downloading isn't exactly friendly. You'll see around 5 hours of display and remember he did say this is what you expect from a phone that size.

Samsung Galaxy S5 (Verizon)

Sometimes people forget that they have no clue what the owner is doing with their phones to get the stats they post. They see 4 hours screen on time and freak out! For all we know, he could be watching a video from youtube, downloading 10 apps, brightness to 90% with ALL features of the phone turned on. We just don't know.

David Lees1

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site

Really good review, the phone looks awesome, it's getting tough to wait. I'm excited to get back to android.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site

Really good review, the phone looks awesome, it's getting tough to wait. I'm excited to get back to android.

Me too! It's a long story but I've been using an iPhone 6 for two weeks and I'm dying a little each day. I'm waiting for the N4 to show up so I can give the iPhone 6 to my son.

IrishFXDB

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site

Justification just to justify is as stupid as pushing tech just to push tech. I used to "abuse" my Note 2 and my Note 3 and still see 6 hours of screen time. Also, a phone SHOULD still get good battery life when making use of all its FEATURES.

Like I said, I see battery screen on time with my S5. You tell me not to make assumptions on the usage the tester out the phone through, but I have to assume you're making the same assumptions of me since I clearly said I see better screen time on my S5.

I have Google Now on, I leave GPS on high accuracy, I push email, I sync Twitter and Facebook, Evernote, Flipboard, and I have Google Plus set to auto upload pictures. I don't neuter my phone's features and I see better battery life than what was indicated in that review of a phone that is part of a series which used to set the standard for amazing battery life.

I'm not hating on anything and I'm waiting until further reviews to make final judgment. If this early review is in line with those to come, and the phone only gets 4-5 hours of screen time through babying it and turning off a bunch of features, that isn't cool when you consider it is a Galaxy Note phone. The only reason behind it would be the screen and as much as many people love talking about "my phone has a 4k screen" just to talk about it (namely during fanboy arguments) we all know it is overkill at this stage and it isn't worth losing battery life over.

clatus

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site

I'm not hating on anything and I'm waiting until further reviews to make final judgment. If this early review is in line with those to come, and the phone only gets 4-5 hours of screen time through babying it and turning off a bunch of features, that isn't cool when you consider it is a Galaxy Note phone. The only reason behind it would be the screen and as much as many people love talking about "my phone has a 4k screen" just to talk about it (namely during fanboy arguments) we all know it is overkill at this stage and it isn't worth losing battery life over.

You're jumping a couple years on us Irish. It's only 2K display not 4K, but I still see your point. I think the battery may will suffer a little bit so you just have to ask yourself, is the display worth it to you.

The Galaxy Note 4 is 14 percent more power efficient than the Galaxy Note 3 though, according to Displaymate, so maybe we are jumping the gun.

at 518 ppi vs note 3's 388 ppi, it's noticeably sharper and according to Displaymate, the colors are more accurate too.

"The Galaxy Note 4 Basic screen mode has the most accurate colors for Standard (sRGB/Rec.709) consumer content of any Smartphone or Tablet display that we have ever measured. "

"Based on our extensive Lab tests and measurements, the Galaxy Note 4 is the Best performing Smartphone display that we have ever tested. It matches or breaks new records in Smartphone display performance for: Highest Absolute Color Accuracy, Highest Screen Resolution, Infinite Contrast Ratio, Highest Peak Brightness, Highest Contrast Rating in Ambient Light, and the smallest Brightness Variation with Viewing Angle. Its Color Management capability provides multiple Color Gamuts – a major advantage that is not currently provided by any of the other leading Smartphones. The Galaxy Note 4 delivers uniformly consistent all around Top Tier display performance: it is the first Smartphone display to ever get all Green (Very Good to Excellent) Ratings in all test and measurement categories (except one Yellow for a Brightness Variation with Average Picture Level) since we started the Display Technology Shoot-Out article Series in 2006, an impressive achievement for a display. The Galaxy Note 4 has again raised the bar for top display performance up by another notch."

Galaxy Note 4 and Note Edge OLED Display Technology Shoot-Out

So it's not just numbers and bragging rights.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance