Note 4 Display

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
How good is the screen, really?

The following seems to describe it aptly (from a Russian tech website, translated):

"In my opinion, the amount of work that Samsung has done in SuperAMOLED screens, created a gap between the closest competitors for years...The bottom line is I want to mention that the screen in Note 4 can be called a work of engineering art - it's the best screen..."

And from the same review, a super magnified picture showing the display of the Note 4. It looks sharper than print found in high quality artbooks!

View attachment 140570

For me the display is the primary reason why I cannot even consider other phones (M8, G3, IP6, X, S5). This plus the battery life makes it a strong choice for me and I think is well worthy of being called the best phone out there. And that's not even looking at everything else on this powerhouse!

I played with one at best buy, and yes the screen was nice, but unless you have it right next to another phone, you are not going to be able to tell a difference, even from 1080p devices. Now if you are constantly comparing phones side by side, you will see a difference. That being said. I love how far screens have come and how great they are now.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
The end statement remains: no matter how you look at it, the Note 4 has the most accurate colors one way or another.

And it also has the best saturated colors. You cannot go wrong either way.

Basic on previous Galaxy devices was pretty average however.

Posted via the Android Central App

I'll let you know tomorrow how accurate / nice it looks :D. I can't wait to see that screen!

Phillip Pugh

Banned
Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
I've seen both lg g3 and the n4 and the Sammy with super ammo screen is much better and brighter check out the promo pictures they have on the phone there amazing don't walk run to get the n4 before there all gone

Phillip Pugh

Banned
Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
Ok FYI I've seen the iPhone plus and it's no match for the note 3 let alone the note 4 it's the best out there right now

b_slow1

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
All of the screens on modern smartphones these days are perfectly fine, even the 720p displays. They all get the job done. My 10" tablet is 702p (132ppi) and it's perfectly readable, with clean text. You only see pixels if you hold these phones directly against your eyeball. My advice.... stop doing that. It's unhealthy; you can get an infection.

On something as small as a 5 inch screen, QHD is ridiculous overkill. I hope phone manufacturers finally call it quits at QHD and start focusing their energy on features that REALLY need their attention, like improved battery life, or better personal assistant integration.

AlusionL

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
All of the screens on modern smartphones these days are perfectly fine, even the 720p displays. They all get the job done. My 10" tablet is 702p (132ppi) and it's perfectly readable, with clean text. You only see pixels if you hold these phones directly against your eyeball. My advice.... stop doing that. It's unhealthy; you can get an infection.

On something as small as a 5 inch screen, QHD is ridiculous overkill. I hope phone manufacturers finally call it quits at QHD and start focusing their energy on features that REALLY need their attention, like improved battery life, or better personal assistant integration.

No. First of all, its 5.7in, close to 6, not 5. Secondly, DisplayMate's intensive research and lab tests labeled N4's screen as literally being an 1440p uhdtv in the palm of your hands. There is no screen degradation due to it being a smaller screen.

Secondly, battery life on the N4 is one of the best to ever exist. I buy new smartphones for amazing graphics and features, with great battery.

If all you care about is battery, might as well as switch back to Nokia 3310.

b_slow1

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
No. First of all, its 5.7in, close to 6, not 5. Secondly, DisplayMate's intensive research and lab tests labeled N4's screen as literally being an 1440p uhdtv in the palm of your hands. There is no screen degradation due to it being a smaller screen.

Secondly, battery life on the N4 is one of the best to ever exist. I buy new smartphones for amazing graphics and features, with great battery.

If all you care about is battery, might as well as switch back to Nokia 3310.

That's fine. You're still enjoying "amazing graphics" on a baby-sized screen, whether it be 5in or 6in. The fact is it's NOT a uhdtv. They can shove all the pixels they want in there. It won't make the picture any better than it already is, and won't make the experience any more immersive because the screen is too small for those purposes. Sure, people do it. People play games on their phones, and they watch movies on their phones. And they convince themselves that it doesn't suck, but it does.

raf66

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I've loved my iPhone 5's LCD screen for the last 2 years, and I've historically liked LCD more than the amoled screens on Android devices. But I gotta tell you that I love LOVE the screen on the N4. Saturated vs. non-saturated, warm vs. cool, accurate vs. non-accurate colors, all meaningless to my old eyes. The N4 screen looks incredible in person and is a bit better, IMO, than the iPhone 6+, which I was also considering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AlusionL

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
That's fine. You're still enjoying "amazing graphics" on a baby-sized screen, whether it be 5in or 6in. The fact is it's NOT a uhdtv. They can shove all the pixels they want in there. It won't make the picture any better than it already is, and won't make the experience any more immersive because the screen is too small for those purposes. Sure, people do it. People play games on their phones, and they watch movies on their phones. And they convince themselves that it doesn't suck, but it does.

Except it gives you the best possible experience on the go. No one is nor can hold a 55inch tv around in their pockets. The N4, and any 1440p phone, gives the graphics fidelity of a uhdtv on a handheld screen. In fact, the N4 has a perfect ratio to either a 55inch or 70+ uhdtv shrunk to handheld.

There is no convincing needed. The better experience is my 55inch Samsung uhdtv yes, but the more portable and equally enjoyable is my current note and from tomorrow on, the Note 4.

b_slow1

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Except it gives you the best possible experience on the go. No one is nor can hold a 55inch tv around in their pockets. The N4, and any 1440p phone, gives the graphics fidelity of a uhdtv on a handheld screen. In fact, the N4 has a perfect ratio to either a 55inch or 70+ uhdtv shrunk to handheld.

There is no convincing needed. The better experience is my 55inch Samsung uhdtv yes, but the more portable and equally enjoyable is my current note and from tomorrow on, the Note 4.

I guess where we disagree here is the "enjoyability" factor. I personally don't enjoy watching movies by holding a phone close to my face. So when given the option of watching the movie on my phone, or waiting, I just wait until I can see it on my TV.

anon(5503495)

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site

Hey downer relax. You can use the note 4 with virtual reality too when it comes out. Imagine not needing to go to a theatre. Screen is great and Note 4 users will be happy. I'm sure most of us love that we will have the best screen and it feels great on the eyes.

Posted via Android Central App

AlusionL

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
I guess where we disagree here is the "enjoyability" factor. I personally don't enjoy watching movies by holding a phone close to my face. So when given the option of watching the movie on my phone, or waiting, I just wait until I can see it on my TV.

The enjoyability factor for an hdtv comes from the fact it can go to very big screen sizes, 55inch on average. The Big Picture.

But the enjoyability for the handheld viewing comes from the facts it is truly portable, and you arent limited or locked to one room/sofa/bed. I have a beautiful, ultra slim Samsung 55inch smart tv, but over 80 percent of the time I use my Note device to view Netflix, Youtube, and movie/media streaming.

I suppose its a preference, but one would be lying if they say a portable device isnt enjoyable, especially when it looks as good as the N4.

itsnotmeitsyou

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
Arguing about enjoyability is like arguing about whether or not something tastes good.. It's pointless. Everyone has different likes and dislikes.

nlitenme

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Arguing about enjoyability is like arguing about whether or not something tastes good.. It's pointless. Everyone has different likes and dislikes.
This.

Also, as vinnyvin mentioned virtual reality, the Note 4 is a dual purpose device.

I had the opportunity to try out the Samsung VR headset. Since the Note 4 is what powers it, it's screen is VERY important. I took special notice at the pixels because of how close the screen is to the eyes, & yes I could see them. It wasn't bad, but noticeable.

So if a screen with a pixel density of over 500 looks like that, just imagine how it would look with a (much) lower density.

If consumer VR becomes mainstream & continues to be powered by smartphones, I could see 4k screens being put in them to enhance the VR experience.

b_slow1

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
This.

Also, as vinnyvin mentioned virtual reality, the Note 4 is a dual purpose device.

I had the opportunity to try out the Samsung VR headset. Since the Note 4 is what powers it, it's screen is VERY important. I took special notice at the pixels because of how close the screen is to the eyes, & yes I could see them. It wasn't bad, but noticeable.

So if a screen with a pixel density of over 500 looks like that, just imagine how it would look with a (much) lower density.

If consumer VR becomes mainstream & continues to be powered by smartphones, I could see 4k screens being put in them to enhance the VR experience.

I see no reason why VR headsets would be powered by smartphones. VR is really a home experience, and there is more powerful hardware at home that would produce better results.

I think people are looking for a single device that can do everything and be everything. Such devices don't exist, and even if they did, there is no way to get a perfect implementation of every circumstance. Dedicated devices do it better.

That's really the crux of what I was getting at before. HDTVs are for watching movies and TV shows. Computers and gaming consoles are for gaming. Smartphones are supposed to be designed for phone calls, texting, light browsing, GPS, etc. all while being portable.

nlitenme

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I see no reason why VR headsets would be powered by smartphones. VR is really a home experience, and there is more powerful hardware at home that would produce better results.

I think people are looking for a single device that can do everything and be everything. Such devices don't exist, and even if they did, there is no way to get a perfect implementation of every circumstance. Dedicated devices do it better.

That's really the crux of what I was getting at before. HDTVs are for watching movies and TV shows. Computers and gaming consoles are for gaming. Smartphones are supposed to be designed for phone calls, texting, light browsing, GPS, etc. all while being portable.

Obviously you're choosing to ignore itsnotmeitsyou's comment, which I was agreeing with. The rest was just another point of view that I wanted to share, which you seem to have a problem with.

Everything in your last post is your opinion, which you have a right to. Please don't tell me (or anyone else) that their's are wrong.

I come here to get & share information, not to argue. If you want to continue in this manner, please leave me out of it & ignore my posts.

b_slow1

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Obviously you're choosing to ignore itsnotmeitsyou's comment, which I was agreeing with. The rest was just another point of view that I wanted to share, which you seem to have a problem with.

Everything in your last post is your opinion, which you have a right to. Please don't tell me (or anyone else) that their's are wrong.

I come here to get & share information, not to argue. If you want to continue in this manner, please leave me out of it & ignore my posts.

There is no reason to be so sensitive. Yes, everything I said in my comments is my opinion. That's how it generally works. And other people were expressing their opinions. I never told anyone that they were "wrong". I was simply emphasizing my perspective on things. This is a forum, where people converse. I certainly don't consider that to be an argument. You didn't see me get upset when Vinnyvin called me a "downer"; after all, he may be right! And who knows? Maybe someone has an argument that could convince me that all this time, I've been wrong about large phones, and QHD screens.

I could come on here and say, "NOTE 4 IS THE BEST! I can't wait! [drool, drool, drool]." But there's plenty of that already, so there's no need for me to do that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol