Had my N4 for a few hours and put a dent on the metal frame.

stan23

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Not sure if it was a good move putting a metal frame around the perimeter. I got out of the car, took my phone out of the dash and it barely tapped the side of the door.

It was so gentle that I didn't even think twice about it.

Took a good look at the side of the phone and there is a dent right on the metal.

Darn

nugj

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
This is just a guess on my part but that metal frame is probably very rigid but only on its long axis. Hit is perpendicular to its long axis and against the flat and it is probably not very rigid. Painful way to find it out but it is sounding like a case is advisable.

stan23

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
I usually do use a case, but the local ATT store didn't have one in stock and the one I ordered from Amazon won't get here for a few days. I'm usually very gentle careful on a new phone - no joke, I upgrade every 6 months or so. Out of all the phones I had, the only ones that were very fragile were this and the M8.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
That sucks! Unfortunately this can happen without a case.. Going naked means you have to completely baby it. I had to do it with my Note 3 and I've been doing it with my Note 4... Got to keep it perfect :).

msndrstood

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
I preorder cases, otherwise, the phone doesn't leave the house or the leather pouch it's in at home. I clutch it with a death grip. 😨

via The Note 4

CehowardNote7

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
I had a case and temp glass a week before my Note 4 got here. Since then I have replaced the case and the temp screen with a better case and screen. As soon as I cut the seal on the box, a temp glass screen went on, and a bumper case!! IMO, this phone is too expensive and good looking to not have it in a case. IMO, going naked has big risk. I have dropped my several times, yes, my Note 4, but it was DOUBLE CASED. Didn't even bothered to look at it!! :D

Fell bad for the OP, but almost all the advice around here would be to have it in a case. Hope everything is okay with the phone, and you can cover the dent with a case, or if possible, and I do mean if possible, return it!! Nobody has a Note 4 over 5 days old!!!

nugj

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
I wanted to thank the OP for posting his experience. His event did prompt me to think about the likelihood of that metal piece being pretty vulnerable to hits perpendicular to its long axis. But I would not have given it a thought probably without his coming here and telling us what happened. While I already had a case for it on the way, I was still seriously considering the possibility of going just with a screen protector. That is out the window now and the case that is on the way will be employed.

stan23

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
I'm kind of OCD, and any damage really bugs me. I had my Note 3 for 8 months, took it to many trips with and without case and not a single scratch.

I can't return/exchange it because the damage was done by me, and that would not be right. I have a case coming in tomorrow and hopefully it will cover up the dent.

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Not sure if it was a good move putting a metal frame around the perimeter. I got out of the car, took my phone out of the dash and it barely tapped the side of the door.

Took a good look at the side of the phone and there is a dent right on the metal.

Darn

With the Note 4 frame being Magnesium Aluminum alloy I find it a stretch to say it dented with a "gentle" contact with the car door frame. I believe we need to now have a series of YouTube videos showing the "gentle tapping" failure of a Samsung product. A whole new topic of manufacturer bashing. God I love this site :D

lazerproof

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site

Darn

I am sure the same or worse would have happened if you did it to an iPhone.

Posted via the Android Central App

nugj

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
I would actually think that thin alo back cover of the new iPhone is likely very vulnerable to damage. I would think it much more susceptible than the N4 is to damage. But by the same token it does not surprise me that a 90 degree shot into that N4 metal frame can be damaging. None of these metals at their thickness are immune to a hit in exactly the direction they are weakest. I am sure there are structural details on the inner surface of that frame that help its integrity along its long axis which is why it was such a good idea to integrate it by Sammy. But it won't help it if you hit it just right in the direction it is weakest especially if the item hitting the N4 is something like a car door edge or even worse a car door corner. It won't take much of a hit in that instance to probably leave a mark.

At the end of the day it is virtually impossible for these manufacturers to make it invulnerable to every hit from every direction. However there is a big dif between aesthetic damage and structural damage that disables your phone. One is a tough break and tough to take....the other is a royal pain in the behind.

Emperor

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I concur 100% I don't like using a case because it hides the beauty and executive feel of the phone. IMO its the same as putting slip covers on new furniture.

Posted via the Android Central App

nugj

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
As the newly posted vid shows, this is such a thin phone that bulking it up too much would be tough to swallow...so is damaging it though as dents in phones are not attractive either. IMO, but especially after seeing that vid, I won't be able to tolerate something like a defender...might even struggle with something like the UAG one piece. I had purchased the Tough Armour in Slate because the deal was hard to pass up and I figured I would use it till I found something I really wanted. Still on the way to me. That might end up being the case I use long term as it might just be enough protection without adding tons of bulk. Plus they designed it neat...like the N4 itself. Everything on that case seems to have a purpose and there is no added anything anywhere. It looks like it will take a screen protector as others have already applied one using that case.

curney

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I for one dont want to put a case on it. First Samsung phone I have ever had that looks great. I have insurance that I have never used in 5 years so I think I am going to do a glass screen protector and go naked. Maybe ill just use a case when im working.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante