Note 4 Google Search freezing/locking up when I go to settings

jj482

Aug 2, 2014
Visit site
Anyone have any tips on how to fix this?

This is my first Android phone, normally I'd think to reinstall but that doesn't seem possible

Posted via the Android Central App

reesh11

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Re: Google Search freezing/locking up when I go to settings

Clear the cache under settings then apps then click on Google search or whatever it says.

From my smokin' hot N4

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

That's a good thing to start with. Can you give us a few more details about what's happening? So you're going to the System Settings screen? Or are you opening Google Search or Google Now, and tapping the Menu button to go to its settings? Does it freeze in the settings screen, or does it freeze if you go back to Google Search?

jj482

Aug 2, 2014
Visit site

That's a good thing to start with. Can you give us a few more details about what's happening? So you're going to the System Settings screen? Or are you opening Google Search or Google Now, and tapping the Menu button to go to its settings? Does it freeze in the settings screen, or does it freeze if you go back to Google Search?

Isn't Google Search/Google Now the same thing. Whatever you access by the long prss of the home key or hitting the Google search bar, when I hit settings it just hard locks. Goes black, I get a pop up eventually asking me to continue waiting for the app to respond or hit OK which seems to force quit it

In any case I fixed it by Clearing Data not just Cache. I guess that's Androids version of a reinstall? That was weird, oh well its reset but I'm back to working.

Phone is working great other than that. Especially after the OTA update.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Yes, Google Now is part of Google Search. I'm glad you figured it out--Clear Data can help correct various issues, presumably if there's some bit of bad data associated with the app. It's a little more drastic than Clear Cache, because Clear Data will also clear out any settings you may have chosen, returning it to default.

jj482

Aug 2, 2014
Visit site

Yes, Google Now is part of Google Search. I'm glad you figured it out--Clear Data can help correct various issues, presumably if there's some bit of bad data associated with the app. It's a little more drastic than Clear Cache, because Clear Data will also clear out any settings you may have chosen, returning it to default.

Hmm it's happening again...

Frek

Oct 16, 2014
Visit site

I'm having the same problem, my brand new note 4 freezes whenever I try to go to google now settings. Wondering if you ever solved this.

mashinboo

Oct 28, 2014
Visit site
I'm having the same issue and I cleared out the cache and data files for google search, and after a while it reverts back to its laggy ways. Anyone know if this is simply a version 3.8 issue, I read online that the latest update of google search has been very unstable, with performance and not properly showing card information. I don't know if its a phone defect or simply software.

thanks

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams