Note 4 Hangouts vs Stock Messenger

SteveISU

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Re: Hangouts vs Stock Messenger

Hangouts. The stock messaging app is ugly as sin.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

boufa

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site

Textra (?) is my choice. I have personal reasons for not using Hangouts. But the stock messenger app has 1 really annoying feature that I just can't get past. When you set notifications to repeat every 2 minutes, you must actually exit what you are doing and go into the app and read the message. You can swipe it away from the notification drop down, but it will continue to beep every 2 minutes.

At least with textra when you click on the notification you get a pop up with an option to reply, while you remain in your app that you are using. If you swipe away from the notification, it will stop reminding you that you got a new message. Seems simple, but on this Multi-tasking power house, the need to exit an app and load messenger, then exit messenger and re-load your app is just too much... especially if the app you are exiting isn't multi window compatible.

Munky#AC

Sep 24, 2010
www.kyleajohnson.com

I use the stock messenger app. I have never tried anything else so might pay attention to this thread to see what others are using and try something different.

Chicago33

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site

Handcent is my choice.. I love themes and customization. This app is the way to go. Stock looks better then the note3 version and hangout need to add themes for me to use it because let's admit it, that green and white is getting old.

Posted via the Android Central App

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

I use ChompSMS... Made by the textra crew.. I've used it ever since I came to Android. It's fast customizable, and has a quick reply... Love it :).

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site

I am using hangouts for now because of its compatibility with my moto 360.

timmo

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Hangouts is laggy as hell for me on the Note 4, especially when using the keyboard. The keyboard constantly freezes and can't keep up with my typing, and many times repeats the same words when this happens. Anyone else also have this problem with Hangouts?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Hangouts is laggy as hell for me on the Note 4, especially when using the keyboard. The keyboard constantly freezes and can't keep up with my typing, and many times repeats the same words when this happens. Anyone else also have this problem with Hangouts?

I do not. I use SwiftKey as my keyboard.

LaTuFu

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
I used Textra on my S4, I'm still using the stock app on my Note 4. Debating whether to load Textra or wait for the Message app to update with Lollipop.

HOLLYWOODANT215

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Textra butter smooth and has black theme... Enough said and it doesn't show ppl numbers in text conversation just they name and picture

KingT33

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Try disabling the key press vibration. Worked for me.

Sent from My Note 4

shanghaichica

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
I use hangouts. It's a lot cleaner. Plus I use the instant messaging facility so it makes sense to just use one app.

Posted from my nexus 7 2013

GalaxyOnyxWitch

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
I bounce in between Chomp SMS and default. Default lets you send larger picture files but I don't like not being able to swipe the notification away. I like Chomp for its customization and swiping of messages from notification pull down. However Samsung makes you choose its default each time you want to send some pics or such. I just switch defaults.

timmo

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I'll give SwiftKey a try to see if any better...but i really love samsung's keyboard (which surprised me).

I used Swype and much much better....i don't notice any lag with it. BUT...i don't like it or SwiftKey because the numbers are not always present on top as with the Samsung keyboard. So back to Samsung...along with the lag :(

Would be nice if one could choose what keyboard to auto-set for each app.

raqball

Trusted Member
Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
I use the stock app as I find Hangouts to be absolutely horrible!

You can't adjust the font size either in Hangouts which kind of unbelievable to me..