Rooting the Note 4 ?

steven Hadjez

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
Hello,

I just ordered a Note 4 and I am very exited to upgrade to a big screen, but I really hope I will be able to add more apps to the multi window tray just like I did on my soon to be retired s5.

Does anyone know if:

1) The note 4 will be rootable ? preferably with Towelroot to save some headaches for Mac users like me..
2) Will there be a mod/app to let us add more multi window app ?

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,
Steven :)

pmcnei11

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
It is rootable but rooting will trigger the 'knox' security feature so you're warrant will be void and also OTA updates will not work. I usually root straight away with my new phones but I'm holding back becaus of this.

steven Hadjez

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
I have a factory unlocked international model because I live in Cololmbia and my carrier is movistar. My note 4 model is SN910F.
Can any of you who already rooted try the windows manager app to see if it works with the new multi window on the note 4 ?
By the way, how did you guys root your phones ?
Thanks !

xxx420

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
I have a factory unlocked international model because I live in Cololmbia and my carrier is movistar. My note 4 model is SN910F.
Can any of you who already rooted try the windows manager app to see if it works with the new multi window on the note 4 ?
By the way, how did you guys root your phones ?
Thanks !

You can root your model using cf auto root. Google it.

Posted via Android Central App

steven Hadjez

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
Thanks Mate, but from what i've understoof this for Windows only and I am on mac. Do you know if Towelroot will root the Note 4 ?

Thanks !

xxx420

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
Thanks Mate, but from what i've understoof this for Windows only and I am on mac. Do you know if Towelroot will root the Note 4 ?

Thanks !

Well that might be a problem. I don't know of any way to do it on a Mac. And no, towel root won't work. It only works on android 4.4.2. The exploit used for that has now been patched. Sorry buddy.

Posted via Android Central App

steven Hadjez

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
Just to let everyone know, I managed to root my note 4 SM-910K easily with Cf auto Root, using Boot Camp for mac. It worked flawleslly.
Regarding Multi Window Manager, the app developped by Aeon Time works perfectly on the note 4. Every new feature of Multi Window (i.e. Pop Up window) and every app works flawlessly.

I guess this concludes the conversation since we now know that the Note 4 is already rootable for most models and that Multi Window works great on rooted phones !

Thanks everyone

JasW

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
It is rootable but rooting will trigger the 'knox' security feature so you're warrant will be void and also OTA updates will not work. I usually root straight away with my new phones but I'm holding back becaus of this.

I don't think anyone can answer this with 100% certainty now since the program is less than a year old, but I'm wondering if AT&T checks to see if the Knox counter is tripped on Next program phones if you turn them in on for a new upgrade after 12 months. I mean, it's easy enough to do: in download mode, it says right there, "Knox warranty void: 0x1." I'm not sure whether AT&T would, though (and whether if they did, they'd refuse to take the phone in for a Next upgrade).

cliffg5252

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
I don't think anyone can answer this with 100% certainty now since the program is less than a year old, but I'm wondering if AT&T checks to see if the Knox counter is tripped on Next program phones if you turn them in on for a new upgrade after 12 months. I mean, it's easy enough to do: in download mode, it says right there, "Knox warranty void: 0x1." I'm not sure whether AT&T would, though (and whether if they did, they'd refuse to take the phone in for a Next upgrade).
No we don't check that. We only look for any type of damage. Honestly majority of the reps at my store doesn't know what 'rooting ' is.

keblonal gzyura

Apr 22, 2015
Visit site
Yes it's root able. . But Use cf auto root flash able through odin .
And always download and flash the Right version of Cf auto root (by chainfire)
Don't ever flash Cf auto root 4.4.4 on lollipop 5.0.1.
If u r Touch get unresponsive After rooting...
Just type this star code in Dialler *#2663#
A page will be displayed with certain update requirements. .

Like "TSP UPDATE"

Tap on TSP update and don't touch Until it say "passed"...

No need restart after update TSP .

Oberdier Reunion

Sep 3, 2015
Visit site
On the sprint variant if you can get a hold of the Device msl (obtained through sprint.com via support online chat ask for it ) adding a ,dun to your apn permission after the mms,sms in both apn settings will give you hotspot no root

Ambivalencetech

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
I was about to comment but just saw OP was Oct 2014 and the owner is maybe even using a Note 5. Rerooted and Tekxodus rom. One word: stellar! Whatever you do stick with the xda forums.

Hivona

Sep 5, 2015
Visit site
Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum although I've lurked a bit here & there. I have a Galaxy Note 4 on At&t purchased Dec 2014. This is my first Android, coming from iOS. In all honesty & not to start a war I'm really missing iOS. I have never been one to care about all of the customization, removable batteries, expandable storage, & all that people extol about android phones. However, my job situation changed 1.5 years ago and I find myself on my phone waaay too much! Not for business but for fun & time killing. So I got a bigger phone & initially I was happy. I like the note 4 hardware, I cannot stand Touchwiz. I don't have a solid reason why, there is just a lack of fluidity, apps crash more than I think they should, something about the look & feel of it...

I'm seriously contemplating going to the iphobe 6s when it's released or giving android another shot with the new Moto X Pure. I really want to see what near stock android is like.

But then I got to thinking since I like the note 4 hardware maybe I should root it? (The Apple part of me thinks it's absurd I should have to do that!) The thing is I am not that tech savvy & I'm really afraid of bricking the phone.

If I root it can I remove touchwiz, the Samsung apps & at&t bloat that was added? Will I then have stock android left or do I have somehow add stock android back in?
Is there a really simple step by step tutorial for removing touchwiz? What about the ir blaster? I actually like using it on my small kitchen tv. Would I lose that functionality?

Should I sell my note 4 and just go with moto x pure or wait & see what the new Nexus phones bring?
It's like I have too many options and the only thing I'm sure of is I don't want touchwiz anymore!
Thanks in advance!

Posted via the Android Central App

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum although I've lurked a bit here & there. I have a Galaxy Note 4 on At&t purchased Dec 2014. This is my first Android, coming from iOS. In all honesty & not to start a war I'm really missing iOS. I have never been one to care about all of the customization, removable batteries, expandable storage, & all that people extol about android phones. However, my job situation changed 1.5 years ago and I find myself on my phone waaay too much! Not for business but for fun & time killing. So I got a bigger phone & initially I was happy. I like the note 4 hardware, I cannot stand Touchwiz. I don't have a solid reason why, there is just a lack of fluidity, apps crash more than I think they should, something about the look & feel of it...

I'm seriously contemplating going to the iphobe 6s when it's released or giving android another shot with the new Moto X Pure. I really want to see what near stock android is like.

But then I got to thinking since I like the note 4 hardware maybe I should root it? (The Apple part of me thinks it's absurd I should have to do that!) The thing is I am not that tech savvy & I'm really afraid of bricking the phone.

If I root it can I remove touchwiz, the Samsung apps & at&t bloat that was added? Will I then have stock android left or do I have somehow add stock android back in?
Is there a really simple step by step tutorial for removing touchwiz? What about the ir blaster? I actually like using it on my small kitchen tv. Would I lose that functionality?

Should I sell my note 4 and just go with moto x pure or wait & see what the new Nexus phones bring?
It's like I have too many options and the only thing I'm sure of is I don't want touchwiz anymore!
Thanks in advance!

No you can't "remove" touchwiz by rooting but you can debloat. To get stock Android experience one need to flash an AOSP based ROM. Overwriting the entire system.

There's different interpretations by people for what constitutes touchwiz so it may be important to distinguish; the home screen/launcher while part of Samsung's touchwiz design of the UI is changeable at any time. The look and feel of the deeper parts of the system (the menus, the settings menu, what's available in the settings, the features available with the pen menu, the multiwindow features etc.) these things are engrained in touchwiz. I bring this up because while at times one will dislike parts of the touchwiz user interface there are many parts that are essential distinguishing features of the device and you'll lose them when going AOSP. This important point is no greatly apparent than on a Note device from Samsung with the many pen based features that distinguish the Note line from everything else.

Don't get me wrong, the pen can still function in cyanogenmod or AOSP ROMs but the features associated with the pen like smart clip/select or action memo won't be there. If the pen integration is important to you then this may be critical.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Hivona

Sep 5, 2015
Visit site
Muzzy996, thank you for your response! One of the selling points for me initially was the S pen however I find I almost never use it! But I understand your description of the software integration and I feel too novice to mess around with it. I will be patient & see what the Nexus phones are like & then go from there with my options! Thanks!

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
If the S-Pen stuff isn't that important to you AOSP based ROMs might be the ticket. The draw towards the Note 4 for those who install AOSP based ROMs is typically the hardware, particularly the memory expandability and the replaceable battery. If this is you then yes it may be worthwhile to consider going with a ROM.

I honestly don't know what is out there for the AT&T version though, a quick visit to the XDA forum for that variant shows not much ROM activity at all, I suspect because the bootloader is still an issue . . Not sure . . I'm on AT&T too but back in 2014 knowing that AT&T's version had a locked bootloader I purchased a TMobile Note 4 to get root early on and use my AT&T SIM in it. Love having a custom ROM even though my preference is that ROM is based on Touchwiz. Gives me the best of both worlds IMO, a little lighter than stock but still has the full pen and multiwindow functionality that I wanted out of the device.