Samsung Galaxy Note 4 car Bluetooth issues?

cvaria

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
I had a Samsung Galaxy S III and never had a problem. I got the Note 4 and my bluetooth would switch to the phone sound intermittently. The Bluetooth would then show bluetooth setup and phone. I could not click on phone, but I could click on bluetooth setup. I would touch the bluetooth setup and it would go to the next screen. The only option visible was bluetooth off. Nothing would happen if I touched it. Everything else is grayed out. This was an intermittent problem. Sometimes it would work fine, others not at all.

I brought the car in to Toyota and they took a look at the bluetooth and we were unable to get the bluetooth to come on. They said they reset the computer and the bluetooth was working. Again, it was working intermittently. Sometimes it works after shutting the car off and on. However, it shortly reverts back to the phone audio.

I brought the car back to Toyota and they replaced the radio and a bluetooth part. The bluetooth worked fine for 3 days. I got into the car and the bluetooth would not come on. I got to where I was going and when I started the car again, the bluetooth was working, but quickly cut back to the phone audio. I got to where I was going and when I restarted the car the bluetooth was working.

There is definitely something wrong with the car bluetooth and not my phone. The reason I believe this is due to if my phone did not work with the bluetooth, I should still be able to search for other bluetooth devices. The bluetooth in the car is off and does not allow me to add devices. So, even if I had another phone to connect, it would not find it. It is almost like I am in driving mode (even when parked) where I cannot do anything with the phone or bluetooth. The switching on its own to the phone has me completely baffled. Any advice would be helpful!

Al

Again. Not the car. Note 4 chipset seems to ignore older bluetooth standards. I'm currently searching for a fix for my edge. I will call samsung later today.

LaTuFu

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
I haven't worked my way through here but this was a bad answer. Blaming the car/stereo is bad. And this issue is, in fact, the note 4/edge... it's a known issue. Judging by the age of the original post, thd op knows this by now.

Absolutely not bad.

I've been through this issue with 3 different Samsung devices. In every situation, the car manufacturer was slower than Samsung in adopting the newer BT version. Once the firmware was updated to the same version of BT, the problems were resolved.

It is not a "known issue" from the standpoint of there is something "wrong" with the Note 4. It is a "known issue" of firmware incompatibility.

LaTuFu

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
Again. Not the car. Note 4 chipset seems to ignore older bluetooth standards. I'm currently searching for a fix for my edge. I will call samsung later today.

It very well could be the car. What is the bluetooth version supported by the car's head unit? It DOES matter.

PlanetPluto7

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
My Bluetooth was excellent on the Note 3. Note 4 had connection fails, dropping, not connecting, and short range. Samsung had me go to one of the Bestbuy stores that had a Samsung store in it. Guy re-installed the Samsung software. My Bluetooth connected to 3 devices before I got in the car and has been fine ever since.

heathersimon

Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
When I use the Spotify full app, the control buttons on my steering wheel work fine. When I use the Spotify widget, the control buttons do not work. Hope this helps.

alorlando

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
My Prius bluetooth has worked intermittently since I got the Note 4. I was told today that Toyota and Samsung are working on a solution. Who know when the update will come. I drove 4 hours and it worked fine. A week later I drove 4 hours and it worked fine. I then tried it yesterday and it would not connect. It stays in bluetooth setup mode.

David Escuderos

Jan 8, 2015
Visit site
I'm trying to play The Economist while driving through my wheel audio controls, but every time I hit next song, a songs starts playing on my phone. Audio from the Economist gets streamed correctly to my car audio system though.

MarqBland

Oct 13, 2009
www.facebook.com
I'm also suffering from the bluetooth issue. I have a 2011 Optima and the bluetooth disconnects constantly. It also happens with my Logitech UE Boom speaker and my Samsung Level Over headphones. It happens if I'm streaming music or on a phone call. The phone stays connected to the radio (I can still control the phone) but audio gets routed back through the phone. I had the Note 2 a couple of years ago and had the same problem. When I got the Note 4 that was my main concern since having solid bluetooth connectivity for me is an absolute must. Just a note, my OnePlus One nor my partner's iPhone 6+ have this issue. Only my Samsung phones have had the issue.

I called T-Mobile about the problem. I've hard rest the phone, wiped the cache partition, unpaired and repaired the phone to the car and other devices but the problem still happens. T-Mobile is sending me a replacement phone which I'm just going to sell on ebay and go back to my OnePlus One since it doesn't seem like there's a fix coming down the pipeline for the Note 4.

luisito4christ

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site
I have a 2014 Nissan Pathfinder. My vehicle does have Bluetooth which I use for phone calls. My vehicle is not equipped with Nissan Connect but I was wondering if anyone knew if I could listen to my music from my Note 4 via Bluetooth on this vehicle without having to use Nissan Connect?

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Mr.Gadget

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
I've just switched to the Note Edge and my Bluetooth is working very well! I've noticed that, with the Subaru stereo, I need to delete all references to all phones and then connect and it works quite well. It actually seems to be working just as well as my old Note 3. Go figure...

D4ve83

Feb 1, 2015
Visit site
I have the same issue, with Note 4 (Italian N910F) and Alpine CDE-133BT.
Connect, calls e and music works, but I can't pause/resume the music or change track with back/forward buttons.

But is there any chance that this problem will be solved in future firmware update or it is an incompatibility between the different bluetooth technologies?

Chris Nikles

Feb 2, 2015
Visit site
Re: car Bluetooth issues?

This was a joke right? Or does this miraculously fix the issue of my phone dropping all Bluetooth calls?

I want to steering wheel control my phone damnit!

Any updates?

Hold the power button on you car stereo with the window switch up pump on your brakes 3 times then let go...
Should reset

AntaeusX25

Feb 10, 2015
Visit site
Have a similar issue with the Note 4 purchased in December 2014 and the Bluetooth audio on a Lexus Ct200h (both EU models purchased in Athens Greece). Can see the song playing and track info, but no audio. Phone functionality is otherwise perfect 3 Other phones tested connected and worked normally with the car. So what is going on?

LaTuFu

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
Have a similar issue with the Note 4 purchased in December 2014 and the Bluetooth audio on a Lexus Ct200h (both EU models purchased in Athens Greece). Can see the song playing and track info, but no audio. Phone functionality is otherwise perfect 3 Other phones tested connected and worked normally with the car. So what is going on?

Here is the TL;DR of this thread: It is either firmware update necessary in the head unit of your car, or there is a BT update coming from your carrier that will allow it to work with older BT versions.

Some vehicles have no problems with it, others do. My wife's 2011 Jeep pairs just fine with my Note 4, but it does not display media info on the screen like my S4 used to. Steering wheel controls still work, so the lack of display is not an issue for me. My 2010 VW works perfectly with it. No screen info, but the BT module in my car doesn't support it anyway. All I really care about is phone controls on the wheel, which it does just fine. I might upgrade to the newer BT module later to get MFD display info, but I don't use it enough to justify, so I doubt it.

alorlando

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
I saw where someone did a force stop on the bluetooth and their problem was resolved. I tried this, pluse unpaired the device on both ends, and my problem went away. I never had a connection problem again. I had a weird problem on my phone where I could not delete a bunch of pictures that came down from the cloud, so I had to do a factory reset on my phone. When I did this, the bluettoth connection problem came back. It will connect, then after about 5 minutes, it disconnects and I cannot connect again, until after I shut the car off, but most times, it discinnects again, in about 5 minutes. Lat weekend I went on a long trip and I stayed connected. It makes no sense!! It is frustrating as hell. I cannot believe after 4 months of this phone being out, there is not an update to fix this, if that is the problem.

ramalvakonda

Feb 19, 2015
Visit site
I have the same issue too with my Subaru Legacy. Everytime I turn off my car the checkboxes get cleared and I cannot check them back also.
Only option is the unpair and pair the connection every single time. Previously I was using an iPhone 4s and the connectivity was super smooth. I never had to unpair and pair in 2years.

Rena Filizetti

Feb 27, 2015
Visit site
I have a Samsung Galaxy Note Edge. I previously owned a Hyundai Sonata (2013) and my bluetooth audio always displays the song and title (coming from my Google Play playlist). Now that I have purchased a 2015 Kia Optima, the name of the artist and song do not display. It merely says "No title No artist." Wondering why...