Confusion about screen time

thatdarnpunk

Oct 7, 2014
Visit site
This is probably a very naive question, but I am wondering why everyone is getting 5-6 hours of screen time, when the GSM reviews suggest otherwise.

Battery life tests - GSMArena.com

If I read this correctly, these reviews suggest that an individual can 10:44 hours of Web Browsing and over 17 hours of video watching. Obviously, the screen must be on for these tasks, right? So, can the Note 4 be used for a long plane ride and be able to play videos?

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
here is the method they used:

The web browsing test is performed using an automated script which reloads a webpage every ten seconds. There are no flash elements on the web pages, so the playing field is even. The brightness of the phones' displays is set to 50% and we use a Wireless N router placed a few meters away to get full connectivity bars.

GSMArena feature labs: The tests - page 6 - GSMArena.com

Since nobody does exactly that in real life, the result will surely vary.

Its a great test for "comparison" for sure. Just don't use number as a fixed expectation.

draconianchaos

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
This is probably a very naive question, but I am wondering why everyone is getting 5-6 hours of screen time, when the GSM reviews suggest otherwise.

If I read this correctly, these reviews suggest that an individual can 10:44 hours of Web Browsing and over 17 hours of video watching. Obviously, the screen must be on for these tasks, right? So, can the Note 4 be used for a long plane ride and be able to play videos?
Those tests are performed under very specific conditions. It's usually stated how they were performed. But generally they use a standard brightness, (possibly auto) minimal excess resources running (eg Bluetooth, WiFi for a cellular based test, cellular for a wifi test) those would all be shut down. Background data may be disabled. Usually for videos or audio the files used are offline files.
Tl;dr these tests don't match real world use cases which is what members here at AC report.
Just noticed you asked a question at the end of your post. Yeah the battery capacity of the note 4 should be fine for air travel. Providing you disable the cell radio.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
I too missed the question.

For air travel, sure, any relatively long flight will have charging port on the plane nowadays.

If you just play offline video, it can last 12+ hrs.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Wow 12+ hours seems in airplane mode seems great to me!

yup, AMOLED screen is great for playing videos, great contrast, and use less battery displaying them. My Note 3 last 12+ hrs playing videos, since Note 4 is even better, I can safety state it would do 12+ hrs.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
So all of these low on screen times people report are based on lots of things going on everyday?

yes, many other things use a lot of batteries:

bad cell signal
browsing web with 95% of background being white
Data over 4G LTE, Wifi
Wifi on while no known network nearby

etc.

IrishFXDB

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
So all of these low on screen times people report are based on lots of things going on everyday?

What do you consider low? Are you also taking standby time into account?

Too often people talk about battery life and forget that it isn't just about how long you're off chare, nor is it just about the screen time - it's about both. I managed to get 30 hours off charge WITH 6 hours of screen on time and that is excellent, especially considering I still had 11% left. I've had phones that wouldn't get 30 hours off charge with 0 screen time...

The battery tests in question are in a 100% controlled environment and they are usually testing one specific thing, like looping video. They should be used as a baseline, or guide, when considering what sort of real world battery life you should expect, nothing more.

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-10-20-15-54-01.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-10-20-15-54-01.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 68
  • Screenshot_2014-10-20-15-54-12.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-10-20-15-54-12.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 69

g8orballboy

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
those are some impressive results. haven't gotten anything quite that good yet. Hit 6 hours once, but had 1% left and only had 10 hours off charge. Did you get the battery software update? I'm on AT&T and i'm wondering how much of an impact that will make.

IrishFXDB

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
those are some impressive results. haven't gotten anything quite that good yet. Hit 6 hours once, but had 1% left and only had 10 hours off charge. Did you get the battery software update? I'm on AT&T and i'm wondering how much of an impact that will make.

I'm on T-Mobile and I did get the update. I never got much of a chance to test before the update so I can't compare, unfortunately.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm on T-Mobile and I did get the update. I never got much of a chance to test before the update so I can't compare, unfortunately.

I had it before the update .. I can say the update definitely helped a lot ... Before it wasn't bad but this update made it sip battery as little as possible.

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site
Getting great battery life on ATT.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-10-21-16-29-35.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-10-21-16-29-35.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 31
  • Screenshot_2014-10-21-16-29-32.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-10-21-16-29-32.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 31

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

I always plan to get about a third to half of what those tests suggest.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith