Questions/ Switching from Windows Phone to Android

Simaan5

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Hi Everyone! New to android

I ordered the black note 4 on verizon (This will be my first android phone and first time using android's OS) and will not be receiving it until tomorrow but i have a few questions since i never owned and android and am coming from a totally different OS.

I own a nokia lumia 822 (windows phone) and i have a few questions regarding the transfer of contacts,email,photos, etc.

- Is there a way i can transfer my contacts from my windows phone to my new samsung galaxy note 4? (I heard of smart switch but it does not look like they have it for windows phone)

- What virus protection apps do you recommend?

- Is there a built in app that can locate your lost phone? (similar to lost my Iphone)

- Do launchers such as (Nova) void your warranty?

- Any apps you recommend for note taking, movies, music?

- Anything you recommend i take off or install when i first power on the phone?

I have a few more questions but will list them when they come to mind.

Thanks in advance

goin_nil

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site

- What virus protection apps do you recommend?
None. Never used one. Never felt the need.

- Do launchers such as (Nova) void your warranty?
No.

- Anything you recommend i take off or install when i first power on the phone?
Install these...
Display Brightness
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...berbigpepper.DisplayBrightness&token=pc2weAKm

SwiftKey
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ails?id=com.touchtype.swiftkey&token=TUHpdU2T

goin_nil

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site

- Is there a way i can transfer my contacts from my windows phone to my new samsung galaxy note 4? (I heard of smart switch but it does not look like they have it for windows phone)

Sorry, not sure. You could try this... If there is a Windows app for Gmail, install that. Then make all of your contacts Gmail contacts.

Or, I'm sure that you can export your contacts to some flat file (maybe in your pc if not your phone). Then import into Gmail on your pc.

Gmail has contact mgmt that links to your Gmail account you use in your phone. They will automatically sync to your phone once you login to your phone.

When you add new contacts on your awesome new Note 4, make sure to add as Gmail contacts, not phone contacts (which stay only on the phone).

skippyg

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
I can help with a few. Not too familiar with Verizon bloat ware but you can try to remove anything verizon you wouldnt find useful.

You don't need an antivirus app unless you plan on installing apps from outside the playstore. (Which is not recommended unless you're positive its clean) if you dont just stick to playstore and you'll be fine. In all my years of android ive never had one.

The stock music player is quite good. Otherwise if youre into subscription music, google play music and Rdio are good or Spotify

Of course install android central app.

Dont install battery saving apps. Just use the built in powersaving mode or ultra power saving mode thats built in. Most task killers cause a loop and make the battery life suffer.

If you need expandable storage stick to a wellknown brand. Samsung is your best bet or Sandisk.

For device location just enable android device manager under google settings app. Itll help you find it if its lost or stolen you can remotely wipe it or lock it if you didnt have a passcode

Enjoy!

Posted via the Android Central App

Frek

Oct 16, 2014
Visit site
I just switched from a lumina 920. For your contact list, go to people.live.com from either your phone or a desktop. Log into the same account you use on your phone. Then export your contacts list. Log into gmail and go to contacts. In the sidebar use the import contacts. Easiest way to do it.

Posted via the Android Central App

txlnghrn79

Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
When I switched from iPhone5s to GN4, I did it at Best buy and they used the geek squad app and it was terrific and only took 5-10 minutes...now i had 1700 photos...so that could be why it took so long...I am not sure if you have to have a geek squad account but it is worth looking into.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome