Note 4 AT&T Foxfi/Pdanet+

JasW

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Re: AT&T Foxfi/Pdanet+

This is the problem that, after no longer being able to use FoxFi after the 4.3 update, drove me to drop my so-called unlimited data plan that had been grandfathered into my AT&T contract and change to the 10GB Mobile Share plan. Even with the 30GB plan (doubled from 15GB through their special offer this month) that I just moved to, it's still less expensive than the old "unlimited plan."

And I get free mobile hotspot.

mty msi

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site

This is the problem that, after no longer being able to use FoxFi after the 4.3 update, drove me to drop my so-called unlimited data plan that had been grandfathered into my AT&T contract and change to the 10GB Mobile Share plan. Even with the 30GB plan (doubled from 15GB through their special offer this month) that I just moved to, it's still less expensive than the old "unlimited plan."

And I get free mobile hotspot.

So there is no way to use the Foxfi/pdanet+ mobile hotspot on AT&T?

On the xda forums two Verizon users say their Foxfi/pdanet+ mobile hotspot works and another poster said it didn't work on Sprint & TMo.

If not I'm going to have to switch to a Mobile Share plan to pick up the mobile hotspot. I haven't gotten around to calling them to see why my login portal pricing is so much higher than yours.

Last edited:

JasW

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site

So there is no way to use the Foxfi/pdanet+ mobile hotspot on AT&T?

On the xda forums two Verizon users say their Foxfi/pdanet+ mobile hotspot works and another poster said it didn't work on Sprint & TMo.

If not I'm going to have to switch to a Mobile Share plan to pick up the mobile hotspot. I haven't gotten around to calling them to see why my login portal pricing is so much higher than yours.

The only way I knew to use FoxFi after I received the 4.3 update OTA on my Note 2 was to root and flash a custom ROM. Now, this would not seem that problematic, but remember if you took 4.3 OTA, you now had the locked bootloader problem as well as Knox. I took the 4.3 update OTA so I could get the Gear watch, and that created an additional problem, which was that I also had to find a custom TouchWiz type ROM that would work well (or at least work) with the Gear. This got very frustrating, so after I researched the Mobile Share deal, it actually proved to be a no-brainer to switch.

Here are the relevant excerpts of the last AT&T bill on my old, "unlimited" data plan, which my wife and I both shared (her summary is in the left column). As you can see, we each had the $30 "unlimited" data plan for a total of $60, shared 1400 minutes of talk for $80 and unlimited messaging for $30, and paid an extra $10 for her line (and paid another $10 for mobile protection and insurance for her, a fee I later removed). After taxes and fees, that came to $215.86 total per month:

OldATTBill.jpg

Here are the relevant excerpts from my latest bill. You'll see that for each line (again, my wife is on the left)l, there is a Mobile Share Value Smartphone charge of $40 a month, but also a $25 discount for each line -- that's for either bringing your own phone (which is what we did) or using a phone through the Next plan. (It's important to note that if you go the two-year upgrade route instead -- e.g., paying $300 for the Note 4 and the additional upgrade and activation fees -- you do not receive this discount.) Then there is the $100 Mobile Share charge for 10GB of shared data, and unlimited minutes and unlimited messaging -- and free hotspot on each line. After taxes and fees, this comes to $139.78. (We got a $3.00 credit on this bill when I remove the mobile protection/insurance on my wife's phone.)

NewATTBill.jpg

The bill is going to go up another $30 this month because I changed from the $100 10GB plan to the $130 30GB plan -- AT&T has a special offer this month to double the 15GB plan to 30GB when you switch plans or sign up. Even that's still waaaay cheaper than the old plan. Using Next to get my Note 4 will add another monthly charge, but I will still come out ahead. And I have hotspot.

mty msi

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site

Thanks for posting that AT&T billing info. The difference in my case is my 2nd line doesn't have a data plan or texting so that's why my cost is about the same switching to the Mobile Share plan. After an 18% national account discount my bill is about $100/mo for unlimited data, 700 shared minutes and 200 texts. My choices are to add the mobile hotspot to my current unlimited data plan for $20/mo or switch to a Mobile Share plan and pick up the unlimited minutes & texts. I think the Mobile Share plan may work out better because of the unlimited minutes plus on the unlimited data plan I believe the speed is throttled after 5 GB/mo usage.

Know that I know Foxfi/pdanet+ will not work in the mobile hotspot mode I do have to do something to get it from AT&T. Apparently it does work on Verizon but not AT&T or Sprint. Not sure about TMo.