Have Verizon Note 4 ... How to Activate without Losing Unlimited

droidRama

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
I went to BB and picked up my new Note 4. I have unlimited data on my line. My son does not and he had the upgrade. So, I bought the phone using his upgrade. So, the new Note 4 is attached to his line. In the past, I have bought the phone at a Verizon store and they took care of switching the phone so that I did not lose my unlimited data. Not sure I can do that now or if I should just do the SIM swap. BB did not turn the phone on but when I log into my account I see the SIM number of the Note 4 on his line. If I swap the SIM card and turn it on will everything be OK?

I cannot believe I have this awesome new phone and I am scared to turn it on and risk losing my unlimited data plan!

carraser891

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
I went to BB and picked up my new Note 4. I have unlimited data on my line. My son does not and he had the upgrade. So, I bought the phone using his upgrade. So, the new Note 4 is attached to his line. In the past, I have bought the phone at a Verizon store and they took care of switching the phone so that I did not lose my unlimited data. Not sure I can do that now or if I should just do the SIM swap. BB did not turn the phone on but when I log into my account I see the SIM number of the Note 4 on his line. If I swap the SIM card and turn it on will everything be OK?

I cannot believe I have this awesome new phone and I am scared to turn it on and risk losing my unlimited data plan!

If the SIM is under his line, than the phone will activate on his line. Then all you have to do is switch the MEID and sim to your number and put his phone back on his line.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I did the switch at BB today to keep unlimited data. Son has a data line but wanted to keep his jail broken iPhone. BB activated the N4 on his line and then switched my sim into the N4 and then reactivated my sons iPhone.

droidRama

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
I did the switch at BB today to keep unlimited data. Son has a data line but wanted to keep his jail broken iPhone. BB activated the N4 on his line and then switched my sim into the N4 and then reactivated my sons iPhone.

This sounds exactly what I need to do. The wiki referenced above says not to use the new SIM card. But if I put the new card into my old phone (his new phone) and put my UDP SIM card into the Note 4 I should be good??

I guess what I find confusing is when is the SIM card activated? When I turn the phone on for the first time? It has not been turned on yet. Or, is it already activated since under his number on their website it lists the Note 4 SIM number? From your experience it seems like it does not matter if it gets activated, the switch can still be done.

greggb47

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site
It's best to buy your phone online. The sales people can't insist on setting the phone up this way. Just switch your old Sim cards between phones and don't use the new Sim card they send you. I have done this many times and it always works. When your unlimited line is due for an upgrade just transfer the upgrade to another line. Swap the old Sim cards and everything will be good

AthensMatt

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
After a really long story and almost losing my UDP last night and having cancel an order using my wife's upgrade (my wife's plan is 2GB mo.) I was told by the Verizon rep that NO upgrade could be used without forfeiting any and all UDP phones on the account.
Does anyone know if this is true?

I was thinking of attempting the Best Buy upgrade but now I'm wondering if Verizon has closed another loop hole. Thoughts?

LaTuFu

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
After a really long story and almost losing my UDP last night and having cancel an order using my wife's upgrade (my wife's plan is 2GB mo.) I was told by the Verizon rep that NO upgrade could be used without forfeiting any and all UDP phones on the account.

I was thinking of attempting the Best Buy upgrade but now I'm wondering if Verizon has closed another loop hole. Thoughts?

Check out the Wiki Link at the beginning of this thread.

Of course the VZ rep is going to tell you that you have no choice but to get rid of the UDP. That's what they're instructed to do.

There are ways around it, however.

VZ will get to a point where they can make you get rid of it. AT&T got rid of all of SunCom's unlimited everything plans when they went from 2G/3G Edge by simply not allowing any 3G phones to ever be on an old plan. If you wanted the new tech, you got the new plan. VZ will probably do the same thing eventually. Enjoy the loophole for as long as you can.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

The rep is wrong. Officially, you would only lose unlimited on the line that takes a subsidized upgrade. The other lines would be ok. You can use a loophole to keep unlimited when upgrading too.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Check out the Wiki Link at the beginning of this thread.

Of course the VZ rep is going to tell you that you have no choice but to get rid of the UDP. That's what they're instructed to do.

There are ways around it, however.

VZ will get to a point where they can make you get rid of it. AT&T got rid of all of SunCom's unlimited everything plans when they went from 2G/3G Edge by simply not allowing any 3G phones to ever be on an old plan. If you wanted the new tech, you got the new plan. VZ will probably do the same thing eventually. Enjoy the loophole for as long as you can.
But difference is the terms of Verizon's 700MHz spectrum. They have to allow all devices capable of using its network. While Verizon might not activate the phone on the line, you can take an active sim and put it into any compatible device. Right now I have a Verizon 4GLTE broadband router with voice on my plan. Verizon must allow it, though they won't activate it on the line. I had to remove 6 security screws to get to the sim.

Now they could force everyone off the old plans by automatically migrating them to a current plan, but I don't see that happening.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1416587965177.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1416587965177.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 21

LaTuFu

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
I agree. That's the same problem AT&T had with the 2G spectrum.

If/when there is a migration to a new spectrum or technology, rest assured the legal department will find a way to make sure that the UDPs get left behind.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I agree. That's the same problem AT&T had with the 2G spectrum.

If/when there is a migration to a new spectrum or technology, rest assured the legal department will find a way to make sure that the UDPs get left behind.
Yeah. Hopefully by then things will change on the mobile landscape. But at least for the foreseeable future, it looks ok. Of course Verizon can always pull a fast one. Wouldn't put it past them.

Btw, Verizon did the same with the digital choice plans, whose unlimited data wasn't compatible with 3g/4g.

AthensMatt

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
Thanks Latufu! I went through the verizonwireless.com site, upgraded my wife's phone to the phone I want and no where did I see any change to my or her plan.
Once the phone arrives, I guess I'll activate it on her number, let her run around with it for a day and then log back on and swap her phone to me and put her old phone back on her.
Hopefully if all goes well I'll transfer my upgrade to her and then she can upgrade later.

Btw, awesome bug in your avatar. I've owned a few, all cal style. Love the mix of the flat black and the color!