Note 4 Camera/Focus Problem

Serpico172

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
It's crazy. I'm major pissed off by this after reading all these reviews. If you put your finger on the back near the sensor, you can feel it focusing continually like it's spasming. I'm taking mine back to Verizon tonight to see if it's just bad luck. Everything else about this phone is amazing, but I can't stand taking these really ****ty pictures on such an expensive phone with a 16 megapixel camera.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
You don't have to have a receipt. Your *** is getting played. Each device is registered with samsung when you activate your Samsung account and that my friend covers the warranty for the first year. You are dealing with incompetent fools at your store. tell those tennage punks to send the phone in for repair because it's registered with your serial number for the phone. You are getting horrible customer service because you are dealing with inexperienced people. Get a manager involved and don't leave that store until they agree to send the phone in for repair under samsung warranty.

Hey Hey Hey!

The warranty is covered by Samsung. Exchange is through T-Mobile ... two different companies. T-Mobile doesn't cover the warranty for these phones.

Exchanges usually do require a receipt so they can ensure you bought the phone from them and not somewhere online.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
The warranty is covered by Samsung. Exchange is through T-Mobile ... two different companies. T-Mobile doesn't cover the warranty for these phones.

Correct. Exchanges usually do require a receipt so they can ensure you bought the phone from them and not somewhere online.
The warranty information should have been provided when you bought the phone. But typically only the manufacturer is legally required to provide warranty service. Carriers provide warranty exchange as a a courtesy.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4

Serpico172

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
It's got to be that. I can hear and feel the ring opening and closing (for lack of a better term) trying to focus on the object - repeatedly - leading to blurry shots. It appears to be random, or when you quickly change where you are shooting. It's really disappointing, because when it works the shots are really nice.

valiantgrey

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
I've been having focus issues on my note 4, thinking it was a user error, I took it to an att service center, and it was and issue with the phone itself since the camera is covered under warrenty they are replacing the phone. So some note 4s do have an issue camera itself. But it does help to have it takin into a service center to have it looked at.

mache62

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
So I opened up the camera and when you push the mode button you reset the order of the auto modes. Once I did that it seems to have solved the problem for me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

mohamed_11

Dec 9, 2014
Visit site
[/color][/font][/size]
nope i'm sorry, as i further investigate the issue it seems like a hardware issue. When i lightly hit the camera with my hand the the visual becomes focused, after i lightly shake the phone the visual becomes unfocused again.
It seems focus inside the camera broke or something. So nope its not a software issue definitely a hardware issue and the unit must be replaced.

Last edited:

Melaza

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
So my here is my 2nd conversation with Samsung Support...

Chat InformationPlease wait for a Samsung Agent to respond.
Chat InformationYou are now chatting with 'Valen'. There will be a brief survey at the end of our chat to share feedback on my performance today.
Chat InformationYour Issue ID for this chat is XXXXXX
Valen: Hi, thank you for contacting Samsung Technical Support. How may I help you today?
Visitor: Hello! yesterday I contacted you guys through IM because my Galaxy Note Edge takes about 30 seconds to focus...
Valen: I'd appreciate it if you could give me a detailed description of the problem to assist you better.
Visitor: the agent I talked to told me to take it to Best Buy to have the phone re-flash, but that didn't work either
Valen: Could you please explain the device issue in detail?
Visitor: here's the forum that explains what is happening to me
Visitor: http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-note-4/452750-note-4-camera-focus-problem.html
Visitor: when you 1st turn on the camera app (rear) it will take about 30 seconds to focus. If you put your hand on front of the camera it focus to it right away, but nothing far away. Now once it focus it works fine, but it takes too long for that initial focus
Valen: Thank you for the information.
Valen: May I have three minutes to research the required information? Meanwhile, get attracted viewing the amazing functionality of Samsung products by visiting us at Samsung Smart Simulator
Visitor: k
Valen: Thank you.
Valen: Thank you for waiting. I appreciate your patience.
Valen: I've checked with the details.
Valen: I've to inform you that to the camera focus will only work up to 3 to 4 feet as it is a product limitation.
Visitor: that's fine I don't have an issue with close up pics
Visitor: the problem is taking a picture of someone that far or further away
Valen: Thank you for waiting. I'll be with you in just a moment.
Visitor: k]
Valen: Thank you for your time and patience.
Valen: I've to inform you that the camera of the phone will not focus the pictures which are far away.
Visitor: seriously? I'm not talking about pictures 100 feet away , I'm talking about pictures 4 to 10 feet away, you know normal range for pictures. I'm not talking about taking professional pics here. My last phone was a Galaxy S4 and it never took that long to focus
Valen: Please follow the below instructions on your phone.
Visitor: I did, and your representative at Best Buy tried it too and couldn't get it to work either
Valen: From the home screen tap on Apps>>Settings>>General>>Application manager>>ALL tab>>Camera>>Clear data.
Visitor: we tried that last night
Valen: From the home screen tap on Apps>>Settings>>General>>Application manager>>tap on menu>>reset app preferences.
Visitor: k, just did
Valen: Please check whether the issue persists or not.
Visitor: still the same, it took 15 secs to focus
Valen: I've to inform you that during the start up of the phone camera it will take 10 to 15 seconds on the phone to focus.
Visitor: ok, so when I start up the camera of my Galaxy S4 is supposed to take 15 secs to focus? Just as a brand new Note Edge that's not even a month old.
Visitor: I was always able to pull my phone hit the phone app and it would focus within a second or 2 not 15 to 30 seconds
Visitor: and I'm talking about older phones, never been able to do that with this one
Visitor: and if it was just me being picky, there wouldn't be all that people on the forum complaining about the same thing. That's just one forum, you can google the problem and they are others complaining about the same issue
Valen: As it is a product limitation the camera on your phone will take 10 to 15 seconds to focus as it has added camera features than the old model devices.
Visitor: If that's the case why some phone do it others don't?
Valen: Did you check with the camera of same model?
Visitor: Your representative at Best Buy said it was too long of a wait also
Valen: I've provided the information to you after checking the details of the phone camera.
Visitor: I'm just gonna call the 1-800 number, you're just trying to run away from the problem, but the fact remains that I know I'm not the 1st complaining about this and won't be the last
Valen: Due the added camera features, it will take few seconds to load on the camera start up.
Visitor: you and I know thta's BS
Valen: I do understand your concern.
Valen: Had I been in your situation, I would feel the same.
Visitor: and your 2 reps recognized that I had an issue
Visitor: Issue ID XXXXXX
Valen: I've to inform you that there is no issue with your phone.
Valen: I apologize for the miscommunication from our end.
Visitor: yeah sure, would love to see Apple get a hold of this as fast as you guys got a hold of bend gate smh
Visitor: and let's see how fast you guys fix it
Valen: I've to inform you that we in live chats trained on troubleshooting the device issues.
Valen: You can post your valuable suggestions in the survey field after ending the chat.
Valen: Those suggestions will be monitored by our supervisors.
Valen: May I help you with anything else?
Visitor: you didn't

In other words it's supposed to work like this... such BS!!! :mad:

Marco Pedini

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
I had this problem with regular camera use and during other apps like Snapchat. However, I did fix this problem by going into the camera settings and clicking the reset setting on the bottom left.

Darshan Purandare

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site
I have the exact same problem as mentioned by the original post. I have Note 4 from Samsung. I have tried removing the plastic sticker from the camera but it didn't help.

Overall, I get the impression that it may be a hardware issue. Can anyone confirm if changing software setting can fix the issue. I have tried re-setting my phone few times but it has not helped. I have also tried Google Camera app thinking that Samsung Camera app could be buggy.

More insight will be helpful.

Thanks.

Melaza

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
So I decided to call 1-888-987-HELP(4357) [Samsung Help Line] and they want me to send my phone in :-\ but I'm going to do it because it's getting on my nerves, but the down is that I'll be without a phone for about 1 1/2 to 2 weeks :eek: but I guess I'll use my work cell until then

I had 2 online chats, one rep @ Best Buy and one on the phone and 3 out 4 agreed that it wasn't right, but the guy from about was a total a-hole!

Last edited:

Sharon May

Dec 16, 2014
Visit site
I just bought my note 4 a week and very disappointed in the camera. I thought it was suppose to have a great camera on it. I am experiencing the same issues with focusing and a fuzzy appearance when zooming in. I took pictures indoors this weekend of my son's banquet and upset that half of them are all blurry. I removed plastic covering and still didn't resolve the issue. I'm ready to return the phone because the camera is the most important tool I need for picture taking of kids, sports, etc... ugh!

LDenis

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
I have read a lot of unsutisfied and satisfied posts on different forums and can say that the main reason of unsatisfied posts is that users try to change settings - it is not right. Camera works perfectly even with standart settings, restore all setting and than try to focus and make shot. If you see that the light is too less just shake the phone with camera - in most cases it helps the lens to catch the appropriate brightness.

Melaza

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
I have read a lot of unsutisfied and satisfied posts on different forums and can say that the main reason of unsatisfied posts is that users try to change settings - it is not right. Camera works perfectly even with standart settings, restore all setting and than try to focus and make shot. If you see that the light is too less just shake the phone with camera - in most cases it helps the lens to catch the appropriate brightness.

In my case I've reset the camera setting, Smasung @ Best Buy flashed the OS and even did a factory reset. I can tell you it's not a setting issue.

dmitri_sc

Dec 16, 2014
Visit site
I also have the same problem with my T-Mobile Note 4(Black). I bought it from Bestbuy and they don't have a replacement for me as they are out of stock. I took a video of the issue. Are you guys facing the same problem?

youtube.com/watch?v=9Z6J6sT9ulk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC