Problems with the fingerprint scanner

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I am having a really tough time with the fingerprint scanner. Takes many tries before it works. I know that the technology is not perfect but on my 6 plus, it works the vast majority of the time on the first try. I have never gotten it to work on the first try and usually need multiple tries on the note 4. I made a short youtube video. Any suggestions for improving it would greatly appreciated.

http://youtu.be/QQJT8ywoxHs

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I am having a really tough time with the fingerprint scanner. Takes many tries before it works. I know that the technology is not perfect but on my 6 plus, it works the vast majority of the time on the first try. I have never gotten it to work on the first try and usually need multiple tries on the note 4

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4
I have 2 prints one with my index and my thumb. Index works 100% of the time since it's a simple swipe down. My thumb it's like 65% since I do it like a slide down sideways since it's easier to open more naturally I guess for me when holding the phone in one hand.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

tlo07

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
I have 2 prints one with my index and my thumb. Index works 100% of the time since it's a simple swipe down. My thumb it's like 65% since I do it like a slide down sideways since it's easier to open more naturally I guess for me when holding the phone in one hand.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Even on my iPhone 6 I have problems with my thumb. I've reprogrammed it a couple of times but my iPhone just does not like my thumb. Do you think because of the larger surface area thumbs are just difficult (besides the sideways swipe thing)?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Even on my iPhone 6 I have problems with my thumb. I've reprogrammed it a couple of times but my iPhone just does not like my thumb. Do you think because of the larger surface area thumbs are just difficult (besides the sideways swipe thing)?

On my iPad Air 2 it works great imo

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
It must just be my mutant thumb then. Lol!

I think apples is just better imo . Samsung makes a decent one but you need to do it simple . Slide down north to south. Can't do it with one hand imo

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tlo07

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
I haven't programmed my Note 4 scanner yet but I probably won't bother with the thumb.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Sadly it just doesn't work as well as TouchID .. It works only some of the time. I tried and disabled it due to "swipe slower" or "swipe the whole keypad" errors even when I was going slow and down the whole thing.

ronb

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
It looks to me like you may not be getting enough of the thumb. Can you try it with the thumb a little higher, even on the screen and pull it down just like you are doing? You want the middle of the pad to be read and on the thumb, it is just above the joint..
Good Luck!
Ron

biggunspaul

Oct 22, 2014
Visit site
I notice that you don't drag your finger over the button,you seem to roll it it more.i would start again and set up 1 finger to start and swipe it at all angles but each time drag your finger straight,don't keep bending it,

My mrs set hers up all wrong and it was so bad that she had to use the password.after I registered her finger the way I told her to it seems to work pretty much every single time.

canonuevo

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Mine isn't working. FInger print scans fine just the feature itself wont enable. After a restart it worked but after locking it right away its just swipe to unlock. Not so impressed so far as a first time android user.

Alexander Burnside

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
2 days hasn't proven long enough for me to get annoyed by the failures. I haven't really counted, but if I had to give a conservative guess, it works with both hands (index finger) 75% of the time. Even if I have to swipe a second (or third) time, that's still faster than keying in a password.

Very, very cool feature. I left my s4 completely unprotected because I eventually got annoyed by all of the security mechanisms. This is way easier and less likely to get me to stupidly bypass my own security.

mikef1182

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
I have tried to get this to work with no luck. I get it about 1 in 20 times. Pretty worthless IMO. Apple's implementation is much more reliable.

Posted via the Android Central App

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs