Is it just me or... does the Note 4 lag?

asd14

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site
Think of it this way...if you are on the phone, typing an email, and getting directions from your boss at the same time, you are going to move more slowly. However if you're just typing an email it'll be really quick right? That's what I think when ppl say there is "lag". Of course it's a little slower. It's backing up your photos, managing your memory and retrieving emails all while looking darn sexy. I have an iPad mini and lately the keyboard has been taking several seconds to type. Literally. Now THAT my friends, is lag.

From my smokin' hot Note 4

I do understand what you are saying here, yes it has more futures and the phone has better multitasking features than let's say the iphone or nexus 5. However, you should not be accepting that lag just like that guys. I love my note 4 as well, the screen is nice, s pen is there when you need it, splitting screens, etc. But simple commands like opening the contact list, messages and emails should not take time (especially done in itself, no other apps opened), i do notice some lag on the keyboard when typing texts as well, but by doing this i am ginding the words suggestion future great (something i didn't have on my IPhone 5).

My friend has the iPhone 6, will compare today and make my mind.

So i don't really know what to do, shall i hope that a future update will fix these issues or shall i return it? What do you think people?

Last edited:

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
I do understand what you are saying here, yes it has more futures and the phone has better multitasking features than let's say the iphone or nexus 5. However, you should not be accepting that lag just like that guys. I love my note 4 as well, the screen is nice, s pen is there when you need it, splitting screens, etc. But simple commands like opening the contact list, messages and emails should not take time (especially done in itself, no other apps opened), i do notice some lag on the keyboard when typing texts as well, but by doing this i am ginding the words suggestion future great (something i didn't have on my IPhone 5).

My friend has the iPhone 6, will compare today and make my mind.

So i don't really know what to do, shall i hope that a future update will fix these issues or shall i return it? What do you think people?

I'm in the same boat as you. I have to make a decision on what device to keep the iPhone 6 Plus on my Note 4. I thought that the Note 4 was going to be my device for the next year. That was until my iPhone showed up finally in the mail two days ago. Now I really don't know. I have been using my iPhone since Thursday after about six days with the Note 4. The experiences are very different.

Sent from my 128 GB, Space Grey iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

sbhatia1981

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
I too have iPhone 6 plus and note 4 ( s5 and iPhone 5s before)
Finally I am ready to jump ship from apple, as we speak iPhone is listed for sale.
IOS 8 and 6 plus lags a lot too, you don't notice much as you don't white/ black background but just slow animation, 8.1 fixed it but it is slow, I have tested opening several apps side by side, note 4 wins the hands down, apart from safari and camera.
Note 4 does many more things which iPhone i can't do, each to their own though, I am rocking my note 4 and loving it. Just my 2 cent!

Posted via the Android Central App

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
I too have iPhone 6 plus and note 4 ( s5 and iPhone 5s before)
Finally I am ready to jump ship from apple, as we speak iPhone is listed for sale.
IOS 8 and 6 plus lags a lot too, you don't notice much as you don't white/ black background but just slow animation, 8.1 fixed it but it is slow, I have tested opening several apps side by side, note 4 wins the hands down, apart from safari and camera.
Note 4 does many more things which iPhone i can't do, each to their own though, I am rocking my note 4 and loving it. Just my 2 cent!

Posted via the Android Central App

I think it's interesting how those who have experienced both devices have different experiences or perceptions. I definitely think that both devices are awesome. When I did a side by side comparison of speed and smoothness the iPhone was the clear winner in just about every app and every web page. But what I love about the Note 4 is the feature set. All of the things that you can do with the s-pen is truly impressive. And the camera is awesome. To be able to shoot in 4K is also a plus. And of course the customization options are abundant. One of the accessories with the Note 4 that I had grown to really love was the s-view flip cover. The functionality associated with the case along with its beauty is to be admired. Great innovation there. I'm still deciding between the two though.

Sent from my 128 GB, Space Grey iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

asd14

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site
Well, i just had a coffe with my friend and i had the seen the new IPhone 6, i don't know why when i saw it at first i thought is super snappy. I have compared the two devices now and i can say they are almost identical in terms of fluidity and responsiveness. I was thinking the IP 6 was very fast but that wasn't the case. The animations are as slow as on the note 4. I have even disapled the motion on the iphone 6 and still not as fast as i thought.

So that did help to make a dicision.

I am keeping my Note 4, the difference in speed and responsiveness is not noticeble enough to exchange the features of the note 4 for the iphone 6 plus.

That's simply my opinion.

Last edited:

dj2big

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
After reading this whole topic I Uninstalled all the apps I really don't use including some of Google stuff and disabled apps that I could not Uninstall and now it's running super fast I'm also using the native Internet browser and Google Now Launcher disabled chrome I'm not using Gmail app disabled using Samsung email app

respibob

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
The only place I have noticed any lag is in the Recent Apps, just like a lot of people have said. Though this does not bother me in the least. As for everything else it seems snappy. Plus, even a little lag now and then is worth all this phone will do. I think we are all just spoiled. I mean, honestly, 1/2 second lag? We should just slow down and relax!

Joemgreen92

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site
I completely agree on the Note 4's lag. People do NOT understand the definition of lag, apparently. Lag ranges from so many things (scroll lag, animation lag, runtime lag, etc.) I have had to do so much to this Note 4 that I haven't had to do on my previous Note 3, or 2. Scroll lag right now, is unavoidable. Completely. It is horrendous. I don't care what anyone says, get your face up to the screen and scroll down some damn text, you can see each letter drag, causing motion blur on text! Ughhh. I've switched runtimes to ART, improving animation and app lag drastically, but if you don't restart your phone at least once a day, it slowly goes back. Disgusted that this is a continuation. I clearly remember this with the Note 3 but having no options to fix it (before KK was avail.) I saw the GS5 5.0 vid, and I can only hope Lollipop fixes all of this. I LOVEDD my Note 3 ONCE KK arrived so no, before you say it, I don't live an angry life under a rock, I'm a consumer. :)

SJAprilMay

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site
I haven't experienced ANY lag. I also have not seen the infamous "gap" that loads of people are hyping. My Note 4 is amazing, beautiful, intuitive and the best phone I have owned so far, going WAY back to flip phones and walkie-talkie type cells. This phone is beautifully constructed and works fast and flawless for me.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
I completely agree on the Note 4's lag. People do NOT understand the definition of lag, apparently. Lag ranges from so many things (scroll lag, animation lag, runtime lag, etc.) I have had to do so much to this Note 4 that I haven't had to do on my previous Note 3, or 2. Scroll lag right now, is unavoidable. Completely. It is horrendous. I don't care what anyone says, get your face up to the screen and scroll down some damn text, you can see each letter drag, causing motion blur on text! Ughhh. I've switched runtimes to ART, improving animation and app lag drastically, but if you don't restart your phone at least once a day, it slowly goes back. Disgusted that this is a continuation. I clearly remember this with the Note 3 but having no options to fix it (before KK was avail.) I saw the GS5 5.0 vid, and I can only hope Lollipop fixes all of this. I LOVEDD my Note 3 ONCE KK arrived so no, before you say it, I don't live an angry life under a rock, I'm a consumer. :)

The scroll "lag" you speak of is also present on the iPhone. When you scroll, the text becomes blurry. That's not really lag though. It has everything to do with the refresh rate of Amoled and LCD panels. As the pixel count rises, the higher the refresh rate. They have just recently got the 2560x1440 to a refresh rate of 1ms. That's fast. But that's on 24" or higher displays.

Joemgreen92

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site
Annnnddd, my Note 3 did not have any scroll lag whatsoever. Please try again and tell me why the refresh rate of this AMOLED display causes blurry texts.....*****.

Joemgreen92

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site
The scroll "lag" you speak of is also present on the iPhone. When you scroll, the text becomes blurry. That's not really lag though. It has everything to do with the refresh rate of Amoled and LCD panels. As the pixel count rises, the higher the refresh rate. They have just recently got the 2560x1440 to a refresh rate of 1ms. That's fast. But that's on 24" or higher displays.
I'll stick to my experience, and what I know, you do the same.

bigmatt503

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
look buddy, instead of trying to be funny, you better answer my question if you can and want to do that. there is no point making that thread any longer. Yes, I did make a mistake, it happens.

I have the s5 and it does lag on occasion and most Samsung phones will not be as fluid and fast as vanilla android. The best things I can recommend is turn the animations off and use a different launcher (i use nova launcher prime).
I have been using my s5 since April 15th and after a few tweaks it's been a great phone..

Sent from my rooted Verizon galaxy s5

ronb

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
Go to about device in settings and tap about 5 times on Build Number. Developer Options will the be visible about 4 lines above About Device.
Good Luck!

hasan50

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
Try this.
-turn off (uninstall if possible) all of the 'bloatware' apps (including Google&Samsung apps)
-make nova launcher your default launcher
-download the app greenify, enable automation (keeps apps running in the background off)
-Uninstaller any un-necessary apps that you don't use

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aaahza