Is it just me or... does the Note 4 lag?

Mac58

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I bought the Note 4 from day one and Im coming from the Nexus 5. Long story short I dont know if its 'lag' or just the way touchwhiz is coded but it seems like it takes a half second longer to do things on the Note 4 than on the Nexus 5 which is almost a year old. I love the Note 4 for all of its features but touchwhiz is giving me growing pains. At first I thought it was just me but my wife had a moto x, and then I got her the S5 the same day I got note and she has been having same complaints. Issues so far are
- sporadic apps closing (especially hangouts, but random apps as well)
- sometimes the screen hangs for a half a second before doing what you tell it to do
-Taking pictures and then immediately going to view them causes the app to hang for a full second if not longer before opening the picture to view.
- S voice simply doesnt work. Well it wont talk back to me and I cant understand why. I started a thread on it but nothing has solved my problem.

For everything the Note does great it cant seem to do everyday tasks right. I have noticed that if I celar out the recent apps it is much faster but I dont seem to understand why it idles at using over 2gbs of RAM when everything is closed? Its because of these little things that I am reconsidering taking the Note 4 back and getting the Nexus 6. Ik I will lose out on features but the features mean nothing if I have to struggle between switching apps. Anyone else notice these things? And is anyone else considering switching back to stock android?

skippyg

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
To be honest the only lag i have is when hit the recent apps button. Everything else is ultra fast with no hiccups. Occasionally ill come across an app or two that dont like the Qhd resolution and freeze or crash, But remember the phone just came out. Like most phones its going to have some bugs especially because of the resolution but bugswill be ironed out with updates. Every phone ive had on release day has had bugs. Every phone.

About the ram dont worry about it. Android is excellent in Ram management. Its using it to make your apps load faster with less reloads. Thats what its there for. Its not windows style management where if you run out itll tell you.

Posted via the Android Central App

ecs180

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Under the developer options you can lower the animation time, or turn animations off. This will definitely help. Also, using a launcher like Nova instead of the stock touchwiz would help also.

Mac58

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Under the developer options you can lower the animation time, or turn animations off. This will definitely help. Also, using a launcher like Nova instead of the stock touchwiz would help also.

Yes I actually switched to the Google Now launcher and that has helped alot with stutters. The problem is I was ready to go, excuse my french, balls deep into samsungs ecosystem and everything they offer so that I could have a true experience with the Note 4 the way they intended it. I almost feel like I cheated a little because I changed out the launcher and the keyboard after a few days. I also wanted to be able to give an ubias opinion about Samsung to other people who may be switching from iphone to Android and want a galaxy phone. For those people it seems to cumbersome to have to tell them to switch this out or switch that out for the phone to function with no hiccups.

Mac58

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
To be honest the only lag i have is when hit the recent apps button. Everything else is ultra fast with no hiccups. Occasionally ill come across an app or two that dont like the Qhd resolution and freeze or crash, But remember the phone just came out. Like most phones its going to have some bugs especially because of the resolution but bugswill be ironed out with updates. Every phone ive had on release day has had bugs. Every phone.

About the ram dont worry about it. Android is excellent in Ram management. Its using it to make your apps load faster with less reloads. Thats what its there for. Its not windows style management where if you run out itll tell you.

I would love to agree with you on that statement except there was one exception to that rule for me. The nexus 5 had no hiccups from launch until I put her down last week to get this phone. Also, I would expect that from apps on new phones but I noticed it has actually happened alot more with Googles own apps vs any other apps I have. Not sure why this is. I agree that updates should iron things out but since I only have 14 days to decide Im trying to figure out if the Note 4 is worth it for the long haul.

lterry913

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
I think samsung has that little lag due to options attached to physical home button...try swipe home app and see if swiping up from bottom improves lag time...other than that you can remove options attached to home button, there are ways...you just have to google them as I don't recall. Or use a launcher as suggested above, which I believe you already tried.
I too was excited to just use the samsung touch wiz and run with it, but found that little lag annoying and found myself hitting the button too many times due to lag. I love the note series but my other phones did not have this issue.

bontjes

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
Same here, no lag. I think I just expect the recent apps to be as fluid as every thing else.
I am loving this phone!

Mac58

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I think samsung has that little lag due to options attached to physical home button...try swipe home app and see if swiping up from bottom improves lag time...other than that you can remove options attached to home button, there are ways...you just have to google them as I don't recall. Or use a launcher as suggested above, which I believe you already tried.
I too was excited to just use the samsung touch wiz and run with it, but found that little lag annoying and found myself hitting the button too many times due to lag. I love the note series but my other phones did not have this issue.

I have removed the home button functions like double tap for s voice. The majority of the lag is from the recent apps screen but also using the keyboard I notice some stutters as well. For example if I have my lock screen set to pin and I put my pin in at the same rate I would do it on my Nexus 5, the screen doesnt capture the touches as fast. I have to slow down how fast I am typing in order for my pin to register.

Mac58

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies guys. I really do want to love this phone. Right now I like it lol. Also do any of you guys have to close down recent apps often to speed up phone?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I only notice a small delay on the multi-tasking button as others have said .. but other than that this thing is snappy for me (T-Mobile Note 4).

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I've definitely noticed a lot of lag on a lot of the different features. Honestly, call me crazy but I really don't mind most of the time. I too came from the Nexus 5 and I guess I just got used to having zero hesitation on anything, so it's been an adjustment. But when it comes right down to it I don't mind half a second to think in between doing things on my phone. The one time it annoyed me, is when I couldn't get the green notification bar to go away after talking to my wife. She had hung up at the end of the call, but on my end it looked like it hadn't ended the call because I still had the red hangup box, and the top of the screen stayed green.

phillthedrill

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Let's see if they fix the lag in the next version of android....Lollipop when it comes out soon. They are supposed to have a newer touchwiz as well, so we'll see if that fixes it.

giper54

Feb 13, 2010
Visit site
I don't own one but I turned down the animations to .5, added nova launcher and turned off S voice. It still had stutters but scrolling on chrome was much slower than on the 2014 Moto X that was right next to it. I am sure a store model gets slowed down with all of the different users but it was slow enough that I would be worried about buying a Note 4, especially since Samsung phones are known to do that. It is a beautiful phone and the display is top notch though.

asd14

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site
Hi all,
it is been 4 days since I bought my note 5. i am coming from Iphone 5, I just got bored with Apple and their simple ios and their lack of innovation. However, as you know, IOS is very fast and responsive). I have disabled S voice, all the apps I don't use, i have also changed the animation in the developer options to 0.5. I would say all of that helped but i can still see that little lag, I dont even know if it's lag or not, if i touch the contact, msg or chrome the phone first shows a white screen for less than 1/2 a second and then it opens the app.
I know it's not a big deal, but it would make a difference if those little things do not happen every time. Once opened, apps are fine, i cannot see any lag even on games like fifa14 and asphalt 8.
i am in the Uk and I had 2 updates, shall i be expecting more updates from Samsung to fix that little lag. i am not used to it and it's definetely not nice to have on a flagship phone for which i have paid £600.00. I have used my friends nexus 4 and it seems it's better experience thena the note 4 unfortunately.
I really love the screen and the features but i cannot stand that kind of responsiveness from the phone.
As the person above said, we only have 14 days to consider so i would be grateful if you can share your opinion in terms of expectations for future updates, etc.

Old Guy 59

Oct 18, 2014
Visit site
I agree that updates should iron things out but since I only have 14 days to decide Im trying to figure out if the Note 4 is worth it for the long haul.
I agree. My plan all along has been try it for 13 days and by that time I can decide if I "love" it enough to keep it. By then we should also have more information on the Nexus 6.

asd14

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site
look buddy, instead of trying to be funny, you better answer my question if you can and want to do that. there is no point making that thread any longer. Yes, I did make a mistake, it happens.

jrsmiles

Oct 18, 2014
Visit site
lol tense in here

I notice some lag when scrolling documents and Web pages. I'll push a page up with my thumb and get a lot of resistance and jittery movement while the screen is scrolling.

Doesn't happen all the time but is annoying when I'm trying to skim a page or find something quickly.

TechNut79

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
look buddy, instead of trying to be funny, you better answer my question if you can and want to do that. there is no point making that thread any longer. Yes, I did make a mistake, it happens.

You threatening me? LOL! I guess funny is not a thing in your country.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yadde