Samsung Galaxy Note 4 S-Pen issues with lower right side of screen?

ProtoformX

Oct 26, 2014
Visit site
Has anyone else seen this?

When writing on the lower right side of my Note 4 screen with my S-Pen (the side the pen is stored in) the cursor will be slightly off from where the pen is actually touching. As a result, anything I draw or write will look derptastic once it traverses to that portion of the screen.

Is this common? Is it just a calibration issue? Is there a fix?

Thanks in advance!

PaulaO

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
Re: S-Pen issues with lower right side of screen?

I just tested mine using Sketchbook and didn't notice anything being off. Gah, I hope you've not gotten a bad one.

TaterMay

Oct 16, 2014
Visit site

I have the same issue. I think all corners have the issue for me. Is there any way to calibrate it?

Posted via the Android Central App

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site

Do you have a case on or other accessory with a magnet in it?

honey_bee_33

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

Do you have a case on or other accessory with a magnet in it?
The note 3 was having the same issue while using a case with a magnet. I read in the note 3 forum last year around this time.

girls love tech too

ProtoformX

Oct 26, 2014
Visit site

I currently have no case on it. I bought the S-View flip cover and put it on VERY briefly. I did not like it, and took it off.

My phone is currently caseless until I can find one I like.

The weird thing is I'm positive that it's only THAT corner. Everywhere else the pen is very accurate on the screen.

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site

The note 3 was having the same issue while using a case with a magnet. I read in the note 3 forum last year around this time.

girls love tech too

It's not actually an issue with the Note 3 or 4. It's an issue with the case and the magnet in it. A lot of people who had fake S-View cases had the problem because of the magnet either being badly placed or too strong. The S-Pen works through a magnetic field.

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site

I currently have no case on it. I bought the S-View flip cover and put it on VERY briefly. I did not like it, and took it off.

My phone is currently caseless until I can find one I like.

The weird thing is I'm positive that it's only THAT corner. Everywhere else the pen is very accurate on the screen.

Ok, this is slightly tedious to do, but open S-note and scribble repeatedly all around the edges of the screen. Do this without lifting the pen the whole time.

ProtoformX

Oct 26, 2014
Visit site

Ok, this is slightly tedious to do, but open S-note and scribble repeatedly all around the edges of the screen. Do this without lifting the pen the whole time.

That was interesting. When I do it that way, it's as if the pen anchors the cursor back to it, and it appears to be most consistent. It's when I lift the pen and try to put it down again that the cursor is off to the left or up slightly.

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site

This code will not work on all carriers (some disable it) but if you want to test your screen, you can go to this hidden menu. in the phone dialer dial *#0*#

If that works you will get a menu with several options. You can choose Wacom test and there are also hovering tests and touch tests, etc.

ProtoformX

Oct 26, 2014
Visit site

Didn't work. Guess Verizon disables it (also, WTH!? I disable the touch bubble sounds because I found them to be annoying as heck.... I kept dial sounds enabled, only to discover that they too are the silly bubbly noises!? Why can't we have normal key tones!?).

Guess I'll just have to deal with a derpy corner of the screen. Thanks anyway.

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site

Didn't work. Guess Verizon disables it (also, WTH!? I disable the touch bubble sounds because I found them to be annoying as heck.... I kept dial sounds enabled, only to discover that they too are the silly bubbly noises!? Why can't we have normal key tones!?).

Guess I'll just have to deal with a derpy corner of the screen. Thanks anyway.

Verizon always disables it.

Well, the S-Note thing I had you do is as close as anyone has come to finding a way to calibrate an s-pen. If you feel like it, you can keep trying it over and over and see if it improves.

I don't know if you want to put up with something on a brand new phone, unless it's very minor and you're fine adjusting the way you write or tap or whatever. You might want to see if Verizon will replace it unless that would be more trouble than it is worth to you.

ProtoformX

Oct 26, 2014
Visit site

I think it's minor enough that I could learn to adjust. Just annoying that a brand new phone had an issue like this. Wonder if replacing the s-pen tip would fix it....? Probably not.

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site

I think it's minor enough that I could learn to adjust. Just annoying that a brand new phone had an issue like this. Wonder if replacing the s-pen tip would fix it....? Probably not.

You might as well try replacing the tip. I assume you got several replacements with your phone. They last a long time so using up one of them won't be an issue for you.

itsnotmeitsyou

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site

You just had to point this out, didn't you?! Lol. I checked mine and it does the same thing. To show an example, I drew 3 sides of a square without lifting the pen, then lifted the pen and drew the last line. The pen was lined up, but the line didn't go in the right spot. uploadfromtaptalk1414305773761.jpg

reesh11

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site

This code will not work on all carriers (some disable it) but if you want to test your screen, you can go to this hidden menu. in the phone dialer dial *#0*#

If that works you will get a menu with several options. You can choose Wacom test and there are also hovering tests and touch tests, etc.
This works my AT&T version. Although I was scared for a second as I couldn't get out of the screen. Also it is very blinding regardless of your current display settings so beware.

From my smokin' hot Note 4

swampystorm

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site

I also just noticed this. I was wondering why I had to press harder on the back space of my keyboard on right hand lower screen than the rest of it. Then noticed the circle thingy under the pen isn't under then pen!

I am using an s view case

ProtoformX

Oct 26, 2014
Visit site

Just to give you an idea of what I'm looking at...

I tried to put dots on lines in groups. Granted, my accuracy isn't phenomenal... but you can see what happens to my grouping towards the lower right corner.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-10-27-21-17-48.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-10-27-21-17-48.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 115

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2