Auto capitalizing

RJMullins

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
OK, call me lazy… but on the Note 3 and Note 2 I got used to not capitalizing the “I” when texting and referring to myself and Android would see the “I” alone and capitalize it. On the Note 4 running 4.4.4 this doesn't happen. I know it isn't the Note 4 having issues but Android.

Is there a setting to change this? I have auto capitalize on but that only works on words after punctuation.

TIA.

phillthedrill

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
OK, call me lazy… but on the Note 3 and Note 2 I got used to not capitalizing the “I” when texting and referring to myself and Android would see the “I” alone and capitalize it. On the Note 4 running 4.4.4 this doesn't happen. I know it isn't the Note 4 having issues but Android.

Is there a setting to change this? I have auto capitalize on but that only works on words after punctuation.

TIA.

It's really the keyboard that Samsung uses in the new Note 4's that for some reason doesn't have that feature. You might see if you can extract the apk Samsung keyboard from the Note 2 or 3 or perhaps one of the XDA sites (search for Note 3 keyboard) and then install it on your Note 4 and then just use that keyboard.

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site

TIA.

Weird, mine auto changes "i" to "I" every time. Do you have auto replace turned on?

RJMullins

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
No, and I don't believe I did on my other devices since I really can't stand Android (or any platform) changing words, you know the "damn auto correct" thing. I just looked at my Note 10.1 2014 and it replaces the i with I and I have Auto Replace turned off..

shaneontherocks

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone else have this problem? I just updated my S5 to 4.4.4 on Sprint and now every time I type "I" it shows as "i" every time! it's so annoying I have to correct it myself!

lterry913

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
I don't know why every keyboard with English as an option doesn't have i auto correct to I...in English it is always "I" when typed alone. I have gone so far as to ask other keyboard developers why this isn't built in...no answer but it get votes by others so hopefully more keyboards will just implement the capital I.

pinkone83

Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Has anybody come up with the solution? My att note 3 just started to do this after i updated to 4.4.4. I have the same problem with the i. It's also adding double spaces after random words,even though I'm only adding one space. It's driving me up the wall!!! (I've left this just as my phone typed it, to show an annoying example)

Last edited:

ronb

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
You can train the keyboards to do what you want. If it offers a suggestion/replacement and you don't want it to anymore, long press the suggestion box and it should ask if you want it removed from suggestions.
Once removed, make the changes you want to relearn a new offering.
This works with stock and Swiftkey at least.
Good Luck!
Ron

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2