Should I get the iPhone 6 Plus or the Samsung Note 4?

Irwin5

Oct 28, 2014
Visit site
Switch from iPhone to Samsung Note 4

I've been a long term iPhone user and have an iPad and MacBook Pro. I'm thinking of getting a Samsung Note 4 instead of iPhone 6 Plus. Has anyone done this? Are you satisfied?

AlusionL

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
Re: Switch from iPhone to Samsung Note 4

1/3 posters are converts from iPhones, you'll get plenty of happy conversion stories here.

By the way, you won't be switching, you'll be transcending.

Irwin5

Oct 28, 2014
Visit site

Thanks for your reply. I'm new to this. I would sure like to get feedback about the experience of transcending. I looked at the Note 4 today - looks beautiful, I like the camera specs but it seems a little overwhelming with all the options available.

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site

My story started with an IPhone 4 and then went to a Galaxy S3 and back to IPhone 5. Then I switched to a Note 3 and never went back. The conversion process was not easy as Apple does not make it very easy to go from Apple to Android. Going the other way was much easier.

I was recently asked about the one thing that I liked about the Note 4 verses IPhone 6. I came up with 10 things that the Note 4 did that the IPhone does not. You will definitely not be the only one in this forum.

BTW, another plus,,, the battery I have in my Note 3 far excels the battery life in the IPhone 5 that I had. My wife has the IPhone and will be getting the IPhone 6 plus. I doubt I will ever go back to Apple.

Enforcer25

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site

I have iPhone for years and just switched from the iPhone 5 to the Note 4, I couldn't be happier, took a little work to get my contacts, sms messages, music and apps over to the note, but we'll worth it. The display is amazing, it's easy to use, the battery lasts so much longer. All the apps I need are in the play store. Like the other poster said, I don't have any plans to go back to apple, I still have my Ipad, but considering getting an android tablet. When I used my iphone, u didn't care about syncing with the iPad and sharing between the devices. The rest of my family has iphones. Really impressed and very happy I made the switch, I think you will be happy too.

Posted via the Android Central App

Irwin5

Oct 28, 2014
Visit site

Why is she so convinced about the iPhone to get the 6 Plus? I seems to me the iPhone is simpler to manage use whereas the Note 4 has more depth to it but more complicated to fully use. Is that an accurate impression?

M3Stang

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site

I have had iPhones since the iPhone 3G back in 2008. My last iPhone was an iPhone 5. I was deadset on getting a 6 plus, I even bought a case and screen protector ahead of time. I kept trying to find an iPhone at the 3 apple stores in my area and couldnt. Checked AT&T stores and Radioshacks and Best buys and they were no where. I saw the note 4 at best buy and I always had SOME interest in android phones. I thought why not give it a try since I can return it if it sucks. So I bought a note 4 and I really like it so far. The only thing that I HATE about it, and nothing can be done about it is the fact that I cant use iMessage or Facetime anymore. I used those heavily. Besides that the note 4 is pretty cool in just about every other way. If you really care about iMessage and iCloud, I would stay with the iPhone, although switching data over is really easy. Its really all about whether or not you want to try it. If you hate it you can return it at the end of the day. You do lose safari back and forward gestures which bothers me greatly.

Verizoned

Oct 28, 2014
Visit site

I just converted and Android seems great so far. Having said that, I'm not sure if I'm keeping my Note 4. I also got the Moto X and it's overall a smoother running device with better sound quality and some other bells and whistles. The Note 4 beats it though because of expandable memory and battery and twice as much ram to begin with.

vitoa

Oct 19, 2014
Visit site

I purchased an iPhone 6. Tried it for two weeks and returned it. It is a well built phone and if all you do is phone calls and text, it's great. But, I do a lot more with my phone and IOS is a closed circuit system.
I absolutely love my Note 4! This is by far the best phone I have ever had.

nugj

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site

And to me...that is the right way to think about the comparison vitoa. I have been a dedicated Apple user now for a long time. Waited on the 6 to give Apple a full shot at continuing to get my device business along with everything else. But to me the 6 and 6+ are just over-sized phones. Was ready to move on from that. Its 2014 for heaven sake!

PaulaO

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site

My sis-in-law switched from iphone to the note3 because she was tired of each iPhone being basically the same thing each time. She wasn't fond of the learning curve (or what she thought was one) in getting her music moved over. Finally her son read my texts to her, plugged her phone in, and dragged/dropped the music over. Done. No program needed (that was the part she wasn't understanding).

Add in the external memory card, the file manipulation, and the freedom to do whatever you want to your own device, and she is loving it. I asked her if she would be going to the iPhone 6 Plus since it is the same size (slightly bigger, actually) and she said "(expletive) no! I love this thing too much now"

Andrew Read1

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site

Hi Im from the UK and have had an iphone from the 3gs up until most recently the 6 all of which have worked seamlessly and always did what I wanted them to do when I wanted them to do it, however it had got to the stage I was fed up of paying a premium price when the changes made with each new release was general only athsetic the software and layout of the home screen and apps staying the same, I was pleasantly surprised my the feel and balance of the iPhone 6 and how the new updates to ios 8 but after a few days it felt just like every previous iphone, so I took the jump and sold my iPhone 6 and purchased a galaxy note 4 and although it's early days I feel there are a lot more pros than there are cons.

Pros:
Voice calls sound clearer.
Holds 4g better iphone used to drop to 3g more
S-pen.
Multi window.
Memory card
Screen size and brightness, iPhone looks wishy washy when put side by side
Overall customisation of phone
Google just works better on Android
Schedule text messages

I'm sure there are a lot more pros that I either haven't discovered or don't yet know.

Cons:

Regardless of mode camera can blur quite easily
Standard messaging app compresses pictures to much when sending or receiving (easy fix use alternative messaging app.
Miss family share and Imessage.

As u can see from my point of view there are more pro's then cons and although not everyone is the same I'm sure if you make the change you won't regret it

jdhooghe

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site

Just some experience from my past but I fully want you to get a Note if you want to. It looks like a great device for the right people:

1) Battery draining from wake locks/Touchwhiz to the point where I had awful battery life. This has not been fixed and is a crap shoot if you get a well behaved device. This is partly Android and partly Samsung so if you get the double whammy replace it as soon as you can

2) Camera was slow to focus and in my experience was not as great as the iPhone. However that was an S4 so read up on the note 4 camera before. I pitted the note 4 and my 6+ and was not thrilled with the Note 4's performance however but maybe that was the fluorescent lighting.

3) Audio wasn't as good as the iPhone. This is an area where the Samsung continually cuts corners

4) Crashes and restarts although not everyone gets this.

5) touchwhiz isn't the greatest looking in my opinion and is a lag-fest. There are some good features and a lot of gimmicks but you need to see which are features and which are gimmicks for yourself. Turning off a lot of the bloat will help(there is a lot of bloat)

6) The Note finally has a premium build so my complaint of creaky plastic is no longer valid

7) you will have to turn off a lot of the features to get decent battery life

8) apps are not as regulated as iOS so you will have to be careful and monitor your phone every time you download an app to make sure it is decent

9) Apps are given a lot more permissions and can do a lot of things that you do not want them to do. Again, you have to monitor them

10) you will be sacrificing great customer service

11) Amoled panels have some risk associated with them. Make sure your "whites" don't go from Blue to pink. With that said, make sure you like the over saturation of the Amoled displays. Many people do not like them

12) If you get a gap(not everyone has one) return it or be careful. Materials expand and contract and if something gets stuck in there, you could be facing cracking. The probability is low but just be on the safe side

13) you will be giving up the ecosystem. Depending on your views this can be liberating or sucky. Just know that there is a reason why there is a drawback of so much fragmentation in Android land. This is why Google is making the push to be more IOS like. It is not a coincidence that Google is mimicking iOS's ecosystem with their chromebooks, tablets and nexus player.

14) Most of all enjoy yourself on Android. You will have to do a lot of work to make it your own and hopefully it will stay your own without any problems. These fine folks can help you if anything goes wrong.

Also, "transcendence?" 0.o I guess it is different for everyone but for me it was not. That is just me though. Have fun, OP

Andrew Read1

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site

A couple of other nice touches are:

If you purchase an app and later regret it you can get a refund within 2 hours.

Smart alert the phone will vibrate when u pick it up if you've missed a message etc...

Led indicator will flash if you have a notification saves waking the phone unnecessarily

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site

Had the Note 4 for about a week while waiting for the iPhone 6 Plus. Got the Plus and decided ultimately to keep it over the Note 4. There isn't a clear winner here. I could certainly see anyone choosing the Note 4 over the Plus. It will ultimately come down to personal preference.

Sent from my Space Grey, 128 GB, iPhone 6 Plus (that took 5 weeks to ship to me through AT&T) using Tapatalk

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

I am not saying you won't enjoy Android but ... if you are already submerged in the Apple world you may want an iPhone to use the continuity feature where you can have everything sync across all of your devices.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Iphone pro
Bluetooth battery life displayed in notification bar on my jaybird bluebuds x
Tapatalk more developed
Idle battery life excellent
Lower automatic brightness in dark room
Runs cooler
Fingerprint scanner works well
Camera is better in lower light motion shots.

Con
Less customizations - no real widgets and limited icon placement
Swiftkey very limited, no number row
Google Apps limited
No Android intents
No usb otg
No sd card
No notifications in the notification bar
Difficult to share with other apps
Charges slower. In 30 minutes, the 6 plus gains 31% using the 2a ipad charger , the note 4 50%
Limited multi tasking. Uploading /downloading in background doesn't work well (Spotify, youtube, etc)

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site

My GF just came from Iphone to LG G3 and switching was super easy. The mistake most make I'm told is they don't shut off or log out of Imessage before switching and getting rid of their Iphone. By logging out it unties your phone number to Apple and allows txting on Android. She is so much happier with Android.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2