Does the Note 4 improve/fix these horrendous Note 3 issues?

frooglepoopillion

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I will agree about the Touch ID. The camera I honestly feel is a toss up because the Note 4 does much better in daytime shots from what i've seen and what most professional reviewers say. Apple Pay is the dumbest thing in the world in my eyes because all they did was copied Google Wallet and gave it a new name. There's zero innovation there when it's 3 years behind it's main competitor.

I can see how the camera in low light and touch ID could be huge for some. I also understand if you need Apple products so they play well with other Apple products you already own. I understand the iPhone 6 and 6+ are great devices. In my opinion, the very best iPhones yet. But I don't feel that they are the most innovative on the market. To me, innovation is new features that work well. The S pen is innovation. Moto's touchless controls are innovative. LG's button placement and "Knock on" feature is innovative. Apple doing Touch ID in the past was innovative. The i6 did nothing but take what they already had plus a few things that everyone else does, and make the screen bigger along the way. Great device, but not what i'd call "innovative."
I agree ApplePay itself is not innovative but the way they handle security for it is in theory much better than Google Wallet (just taking Apple at their word on the standalone security chip in the phone and that info is stored locally until proven wrong). Also while TouchID was offered on the 5S many of it's features weren't implemented until iOS8 and the iPhone 6.

As far as other phones go, it really just sounds like they are just throwing out features onto a wall to see what sticks. I mean, knock and touchless controls seem more gimmicky (much like many of the S4 features: scroll with your eyes! really?) than useful technology to me. Disclaimer: I have not messed around with a MotoX so I could be wrong on the touchless stuff, but at face value it just seems like something you would show your friends as a cool thing the phone can do and in practice it wouldn't get much use. As far as the S-pen goes, I can definitely see its usefulness and it is legitimately awesome.

Maybe innovation was the wrong word to use... I guess my point is for the most part the tech Apple uses seems far less gimmicky and more useful in day-to-day life than many of the "innovations" that other manufacturers have put forth. Are they bad? Not at all! But at a certain point I just have to step back and ask "ok, this is fun but is it really adding any value to my life?" And to me, right now, Apple is ahead in that regard followed by the Note 4.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I agree ApplePay itself is not innovative but the way they handle security for it is in theory much better than Google Wallet (just taking Apple at their word on the standalone security chip in the phone and that info is stored locally until proven wrong). Also while TouchID was offered on the 5S many of it's features weren't implemented until iOS8 and the iPhone 6.

As far as other phones go, it really just sounds like they are just throwing out features onto a wall to see what sticks. I mean, knock and touchless controls seem more gimmicky (much like many of the S4 features: scroll with your eyes! really?) than useful technology to me. Disclaimer: I have not messed around with a MotoX so I could be wrong on the touchless stuff, but at face value it just seems like something you would show your friends as a cool thing the phone can do and in practice it wouldn't get much use. As far as the S-pen goes, I can definitely see its usefulness and it is legitimately awesome.

Maybe innovation was the wrong word to use... I guess my point is for the most part the tech Apple uses seems far less gimmicky and more useful in day-to-day life than many of the "innovations" that other manufacturers have put forth. Are they bad? Not at all! But at a certain point I just have to step back and ask "ok, this is fun but is it really adding any value to my life?" And to me, right now, Apple is ahead in that regard followed by the Note 4.

I think I got ya now. I see where you're coming from. However I do think you have to see Moto's touchless controls in person before reducing them to gimmicks. They are not like Samsung's touchless commands that they tried out a little while ago. Also the knock on feature of the LG line is almost a necessity because the buttons are on the back of the device. My buddy was struggling to like his G3 because the buttons on the back made it so annoying for him to check for notifications if the phone was on his desk, because he'd have to pick it up each time to hit the power button to wake the screen. When I showed him the knock on feature, he about lost it and now he loves the thing. I do agree with you though on the S4 features. Samsung has tried way too hard to be innovative in so many ways, that at this point I really can only see the S pen as their true mark of innovation.

frooglepoopillion

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
They may have supported wifi calling as in Voip calls.. But not actual T-Mobile wifi calling where people call my normal cell number and it goes through my wifi instead. That is new to Nexus and usually has only been a T-Mobile branded phone thing.... And yes Apple worked with T-Mobile to do it for iOS 8..but it only works for T-Mobile customers.
Ah, you mean the app... I am pretty sure I read somewhere that once Lollipop hits the flagships it will be supported universally but I could be wrong. I'm not sure how it works on iOS8 either but I think it's baked into the OS. It would be great if it was supported by all carriers.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Ah, you mean the app... I am pretty sure I read somewhere that once Lollipop hits the flagships it will be supported universally but I could be wrong. I'm not sure how it works on iOS8 either but I think it's baked into the OS. It would be great if it was supported by all carriers.

It is baked into the OS but only works for T-Mobile. The carrier also has to support it as well since your calls (and texts) will be routed through wifi instead of the cell towers.

Sprint is starting to get wifi calling out... AT&T / Verizon are going to roll out wifi calling but not till next year or even later. T-Mobile is the only official one.

frooglepoopillion

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I think I got ya now. I see where you're coming from. However I do think you have to see Moto's touchless controls in person before reducing them to gimmicks. They are not like Samsung's touchless commands that they tried out a little while ago. Also the knock on feature of the LG line is almost a necessity because the buttons are on the back of the device. My buddy was struggling to like his G3 because the buttons on the back made it so annoying for him to check for notifications if the phone was on his desk, because he'd have to pick it up each time to hit the power button to wake the screen. When I showed him the knock on feature, he about lost it and now he loves the thing. I do agree with you though on the S4 features. Samsung has tried way too hard to be innovative in so many ways, that at this point I really can only see the S pen as their true mark of innovation.
That makes a lot more sense for knock on the G3 actually. But kind of begs the question why even move the buttons to the back in the first place? It's almost like a solution they created for a problem they created that no one really asked them to solve. :)

m3lover1

Trusted Member
May 4, 2010
Visit site
LG apparently thinks otherwise
I think otherwise too. It's brilliant. First of all it makes the bezels all around slimmer, and overall the phone slimmer as all. Secondly while holding the phone, it's easier to reach for power and volume buttons with your index finger instead of shifting the phone and using your thumb or index fingers on buttons on the side. Lastly, when the phone is on table? Just knock on. Simple and intuitive.

Preach2k

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I love my Note 3...except for the camera! The shutter is way too slow! Look, I understand it's a phone and not a DSLR or even a point and shoot but WTH!? I have no other big issues with the Note 3 but why an iPhone 5s' camera flat-out smokes it (IME) is annoying.

I sincerely hoped the Note 4's camera was heads and tails better. Should not the camera be remarkably great in a flagship phone? At least as good, if not better than the iPhone 5s'?

I don't know if you read this article about the Note 4 beating the iPhone 6 and other phones in a blind test.
Camera comparison: Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, Sony Xperia Z3, LG G3, Galaxy S5, Galaxy Note 3

Also this time around The Gnote4 has a Sony Camera on board.
https://plus.google.com/+SamsungMobile/posts/LPs7X8APvUy

I never had an Issue with My GNote3's Camera. It too great pictures. They have improved on the Camera.

frooglepoopillion

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
That Phone Arena test was allegedly rigged as there was an active plan among users to guess which shots were the iPhone and vote against it. Not sure how much truth is in that but I've seen it posted elsewhere.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I don't know if you read this article about the Note 4 beating the iPhone 6 and other phones in a blind test.
Camera comparison: Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, Sony Xperia Z3, LG G3, Galaxy S5, Galaxy Note 3

I never had an Issue with My GNote3's Camera. It too great pictures. They have improved on the Camera.

I note that they say my Note 3 does slow motion in video. I'll have to play with that.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
That makes a lot more sense for knock on the G3 actually. But kind of begs the question why even move the buttons to the back in the first place? It's almost like a solution they created for a problem they created that no one really asked them to solve. :)

I would think there were two reasons. #1 It allows for almost non existent bezels which everyone seems to want for some reason, and #2 it's more natural to have a button on the back when the majority of people prop the back of the phone up with a finger or two. I know I do it all the time so they put the buttons where the fingers are instead of making you adjust your grip to reach a button.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
That Phone Arena test was allegedly rigged as there was an active plan among users to guess which shots were the iPhone and vote against it. Not sure how much truth is in that but I've seen it posted elsewhere.

I doubt that tremendously. OF course it doesn't surprise me that the iPhone gets destroyed in a camera test so outlandish claims of it being "rigged" surface. How the he** would anyone know which pics were the iPhone? Guaranteed people would've guessed wrong at some percentage, and everyone loves iPhones and loves to hate Samsung so if anything, I could see it being the other way around.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

It depends on your needs. Lower light motion goes to the iPhone 6 plus for sure. Like indoors with limited lighting taking pictures of a toddler. Which is what I mainly use my phone camera for.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4

frooglepoopillion

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
It depends on your needs. Lower light motion goes to the iPhone 6 plus for sure. Like indoors with limited lighting taking pictures of a toddler. Which is what I mainly use my phone camera for.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4
How does the Note 4 compare with the HTC One camera?

HothTron

Banned
Mar 8, 2014
Visit site
How does the Note 4 compare with the HTC One camera?

Anything is better then that joke of a camera idea.... It really is too bad that the Z3 is so small cause I played with it at T-mobile store yesterday and it makes the entire Galaxy series feel like utter china crap, the Sony feels real good and looks damn good as well. If it was only in the 5.5'' range, I woulda thrown my Note 3 at the T-mobile rep right then and there and say "I'm done with Samsungs sheet, give me a Z3 now, cost irrelevant"

frooglepoopillion

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Anything is better then that joke of a camera idea.... It really is too bad that the Z3 is so small cause I played with it at T-mobile store yesterday and it makes the entire Galaxy series feel like utter china crap, the Sony feels real good and looks damn good as well. If it was only in the 5.5'' range, I woulda thrown my Note 3 at the T-mobile rep right then and there and say "I'm done with Samsungs sheet, give me a Z3 now, cost irrelevant"
I really like the M7 camera and I've gotta say I think the M8 camera is a big downgrade. As far as point and shoot goes, the M7 is pretty quick if you don't need a crazy high res shot.

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Hey all, been awhile since i've been around. So it looks like a new generation of Note is here once again and once again, I find myself wondering if its worth shelling out the money to pay off the remaining "half" of my Note 3 cost with T-mobile through the Jump! program as I don't have a full year of payments on my Note 3 as I got in in March this year.

I've been a Note user since Note 1 after I left VZW to get it on ATT and by far, the Note 1 was my favorite of them all. The Note 2 was pretty good over all but the lag on the Touchwiz was annoying and the camera was a bit less friendly and by far, the Note 3 has been the worse with T-Mobile. I had to go through THREE phones with T-Mobile due to the HORRENDOUS battery life loss after Kit Kat was installed on the Note 3 on T-Mobile.

Yes, I did EVERYTHING I could to help troubleshoot the following issues from clean cache wipes, to reformatting the SD card, to resetting the entire phone ect..ect.. but the following are STILL issues with my Note 3 that I'm wondering that are FIXED and or are IMPROVED with the Note 4 on T-Mobile before I decide to shell out $200 plus Tax to switch to a Note 4 or just wait until next year and see what Sony or HTC has out that may end my Note ownership days.

1. Continual droppage and reconnecting of Wifi at home. No matter what i've done and no matter what wifi network I connect to, my Note 3 continually just "drops" and "reconnects" to wifi, and YES I have taken off the smart switch. This problem has been continual even after 3 Note 3 replacements.

2. Horrendous camera quality. My Note 1 would take awesome photos, even in low light situations. My Note 3's camera quality all around is outright terrible. 90% of my decent indoor lighting shots are blurry or smudged, and you can pretty much guess that low light shots are utter crap all around with very high amounts of ISO grain noise and not to mention poor contrast and outline of subjects. Only in very nice, outside sunlight days does my Note 3 give me decent quality shots. Beyond that, it sucks, VERY hard.

3. Crap battery life. Most likely due to KitKat software issue that STILL HAS NOT been fixed with T-Mobile. This has been a known issue about Kitkat 4.4.3/4.4.2 since earlier this year and im wondering if 4.4.4 has fixed this issue, especially on T-Mobile.

4. SLOW SD response/reading/writing. I've used two Class 10 microSD cards from Samsung and Sandisk and photo browsing/copying/deleting on local phone or over USB 3.0 and i've been really dissapointed on the overaul performance of Note 3's ability to use a high quality SD card.

Any information, incite or feedback would help me decide if I should ditch my Note 3 and its crappy issues or suck it up until next year and see if HTC M9 Prime or Sony Xperia Ultra 2 prove to be worth giving up on the Note lineup and Samsung in general.

My N4 has great battery life, especially compared to the N3. And I'm on it constantly. Everything else is far above the N3 too. And I definitely have no problem with wifi connections. I think it's worth getting.

Posted via the Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FarajWala800