Battery Charged 100% should I unplug it?

jimhuntphoto

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
Not sure if I should unplug it as I like to have it 100% charged as much as possible because the battery drains so fast. Am I hurting the battery while keeping it plugged in?

douger

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
To the best of my knowledge, most "modern" smartphones have smart charging. Charging tapers off to nothing as the battery tops itself off. I plug in at bedtime and unplug when I go out the door the next morning. The battery on the S4 was still going strong a year plus after I got the phone.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
To the best of my knowledge, most "modern" smartphones have smart charging. Charging tapers off to nothing as the battery tops itself off. I plug in at bedtime and unplug when I go out the door the next morning. The battery on the S4 was still going strong a year plus after I got the phone.

This. It's fine to keep it in. Batteries... At least now a days.. won't over charge themselves like they used to in the past.

douger

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Word, especially with the "adaptive" charger that comes with the Note 4. Just like the need to run a phone battery completely flat occasionally, it's an old wives tale.

ChemMan

May 7, 2013
Visit site
I was kind of surprised the first time I charged my phone when it blinked on in the middle of the night with the message "Please unplug your phone, it is fully charged" or something to that effect. I ignore it, stupid phone.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
If it just hits 100%, you are cheating yourself of more run time. Leave it in longer or leave it in all night. Won't hurt the battery,. I guarantee it. Seriously. These batteries and charging circuits work well to eliminate any issue with overcharging.

Andrawer

May 31, 2011
Visit site
I was kind of surprised the first time I charged my phone when it blinked on in the middle of the night with the message "Please unplug your phone, it is fully charged" or something to that effect. I ignore it, stupid phone.
I believe that message is to "save electricity". As I understand it once the battery reaches 100% it will slowly discharge a small amount then the smart charger will bump it back up to full charge...cycle repeated until it is unplugged.

goin_nil

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
I believe that message is to "save electricity". As I understand it once the battery reaches 100% it will slowly discharge a small amount then the smart charger will bump it back up to full charge...cycle repeated until it is unplugged.

That's what I've read to.

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
Yes you need to take it off when it hits 100%

No you don't.

Plug it in. Don't worry about it. Take it off charge when you need it.

The phone has the smarts in it to know not to overcharge it. Because it has a removable battery, the BATTERY pack ALSO has protection electronics in it that prevents an over (or under) charge. Yet another benefit of a removable battery. Twice the battery protection.

Some devices pop up a 'unplug me' message. That is for those that want to be 'green' and save a few milliwatts of power.

Last edited:

alik4041

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
There is some misinformation being spread. Lithium ion batteries are very forgiving, but they share the same fundamentals as all other batteries.

There is damage being done by keeping the battery plugged in at 100%, but is it because you're charging at 100%? No. Damage occurs because most users tend to keep their device 'on' when charging, which causes a load on the battery as it's being charged. The significant damage to the battery occurs when you push charging parameters to their limits. Examples of this would be temperature, charging current, draw current, voltage levels, etc. To optimize battery life, lithium ions should never be fully charged or depleted because of the stress this causes on the cells. You should also never fast charge your battery because it doesn't hold a "true charge" compared to a normal charge rate and it also degrades the cell lifespan.

Finally, there is the end user. Engineers have to deal with the hard truth that although these are the optimal levels under which a product must be maintained, the average end user will never come close to meeting this criteria. So battery degradation will occur at a faster rate than it would under optimal conditions.

<<link removed per posting rules>>
^ that's nice :-$

Google "charging lithium ion batteries". First link from "battery university"

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21