Note 4 disappointments?

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
I was really anxious waiting for the Note 4. I do really enjoy using the device and I love the functionality.

I am concerned with performance though. It does seem to stutter quite a bit. Especially with the native Camera app and muti-tasking feature. Even swiping through windows upon wake-up lags a bit. For the record i am being melodramatic. But it does irk me, it really takes a way from the user experience, which to me is held above all else.

I've been a long time fan of the Note series but I cant help being a little bummed out especially coming from the HTC One M8, which seriously performs better than the Note 4.

It has me thinking, are all of the features worth the good (as opposed to EXCELLENT) user experience. Maybe an M8, moto x, or the new turbo would please my inner ocd more.

The Note 4 is a fantastic device and there's a good chance i will stick by its side (for a couple months ;) ) I just want my device to be SNAPPY

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm actually quite alarmed at how much lag this thing has. Just when I seem to solve one scenario, another pops up. Just yesterday I opened a folder on my home screen to select an app and it wouldn't open the app, nor would it completely close the folder animation on the home screen. It maintained a faded out background, almost ghostly outline of where the folder had been opened. I had to turn off the screen and unlock it again to get it to register my touch again.

As annoying as the lag has been, i'm in the camp that feels it's worth it for all the other amazing things it offers. I came from the Nexus 5 with ZERO lag and yet I still find myself willing to deal with it on the Note 4. I guess I feel like a laggy exciting experience is better than smooth boredom. I didn't necessarily find the Nexus 5 to be boring either because I love stock, pure android. But the Note just does so much more.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Try turning off all animations. I think there are 3 settings for that. If like on my Note 2, you will have to do that in Developer Options.

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
You can speed up the screen and remove most if not all lag by Holding down the touch button to the left of the home button. This will bring up a menu of three items at the bottom of the screen. Select Home Screen Settings > uncheck Flipboard Briefing. You should now have a much faster screen.

maximalife

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site
I turned off all animations (developer option menu )...this thing is just an lag machine lol

Posted via the Android Central App

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Hey, I don't want to hear this! I just took my iphone 6+ back and my Note 4 will be here Friday lol.

Don't worry. If anything, knowing that there is the occassional lag will help you keep your expectations in check as far as that goes. 97% of my time with the Note has been flawless bliss. That 3% is just easier to jot down on forums because it's less to type than all the positives that i've found.

maximalife

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site
Hey, I don't want to hear this! I just took my iphone 6+ back and my Note 4 will be here Friday lol.

No get the Note....it does lag here and there but the things this phone can do is ridiculous...i can't put it down ..ever (probably why its lagging )lol

PraetorianGuard14

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
I don't find it laggy at all...or maybe I am missing it. I don't demand a super snappy phone though. I haven't been transformed by my smartphone yet (this is my first one...)

Alexander Burnside

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
I have no disappointments with the Note 4. I've had my phone hang a few times, but it was a result of an application crashing - usually chrome. I expect things will get more reliable over time with updates. That's the price you pay for being an early adopter, which I am usually not.

You have to ask yourself, particularly when it comes to things like the multi-tasking bar: Is this "lag" or is this a feature?

Based on what I am seeing, it's a feature. It's possible they thought if you didn't have to hold the back button long enough, you'd be opening the multitasking shelf on accident. The fact that people report turning off animations "speeds things up" as far as lag goes also tells me it isn't lag, but the animation timer being set higher than some people want.

So yeah, I wouldn't call the phone laggy, as that implies weak hardware or a memory leak in the software. I think it's just a matter of settings that are not optimal for everyone.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I have no disappointments with the Note 4. I've had my phone hang a few times, but it was a result of an application crashing - usually chrome. I expect things will get more reliable over time with updates. That's the price you pay for being an early adopter, which I am usually not.

You have to ask yourself, particularly when it comes to things like the multi-tasking bar: Is this "lag" or is this a feature?

Based on what I am seeing, it's a feature. It's possible they thought if you didn't have to hold the back button long enough, you'd be opening the multitasking shelf on accident. The fact that people report turning off animations "speeds things up" as far as lag goes also tells me it isn't lag, but the animation timer being set higher than some people want.

So yeah, I wouldn't call the phone laggy, as that implies weak hardware or a memory leak in the software. I think it's just a matter of settings that are not optimal for everyone.

I agree with 99% of this. There have been clear instances of Lag that i've experienced however, that was not a setting. Like being unable to end a phone call. Having a home screen folder refuse to close out, and a few other small instances. I do agree that a lot of the problems seem to be a result of the extensive animations that TW employs. I love TW but they could certainly tone it down some and lend that processing speed to more important tasks.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
I agree with 99% of this. There have been clear instances of Lag that i've experienced however, that was not a setting. Like being unable to end a phone call. Having a home screen folder refuse to close out, and a few other small instances. I do agree that a lot of the problems seem to be a result of the extensive animations that TW employs. I love TW but they could certainly tone it down some and lend that processing speed to more important tasks.

I've had a folders refuse to close too. A lot of Little annoying things add up to be a few big ones. Since I have the iPhone 6 also, I find it to "stutter" and "lag" here and there also....it's just not so prominent.

But get this.....if you UP the scales to 2 or higher on the N4, it acts just like the iPhones animation. Slow but smooth as butter. My guess is that they have the scales set lower (then users set it even lower) for a "fast" experience.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I've had a folders refuse to close too. A lot of Little annoying things add up to be a few big ones. Since I have the iPhone 6 also, I find it to "stutter" and "lag" here and there also....it's just not so prominent.

But get this.....if you UP the scales to 2 or higher on the N4, it acts just like the iPhones animation. Slow but smooth as butter. My guess is that they have the scales set lower (then users set it even lower) for a "fast" experience.

Wow! So if i'm understanding correctly, you're saying that INCREASING the animations actually makes it altogether smoother? I never would've thought of doing that, but I guess it makes sense as someone else mentioned either in this thread or another, that animations may actually just provide more time for the phone to open and load an app. I may mess around with that and see what I experience.

HOLLYWOODANT215

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Wow! So if i'm understanding correctly, you're saying that INCREASING the animations actually makes it altogether smoother? I never would've thought of doing that, but I guess it makes sense as someone else mentioned either in this thread or another, that animations may actually just provide more time for the phone to open and load an app. I may mess around with that and see what I experience.

Exactly my point apps need time to open.. Making animations to low will make lag or stutter... Once a app is already open then it's no lag... But first time u open app it might lag with low animations

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
I have not seen any lag on my phone. Where by "lag" I mean stuttering or hesitating. What I have found is that Flipboard Briefing and having more than about 6 apps open at once causes the transitions between pages and screens to move smoothly but more slowly. This definitely is not an issue for me as I still can't out read or out type the phone.:-!

sandyb

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
My only complaint would be the display in direct sunlight.
I love pretty much everything else..

JasW

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
The only disappointment is TW's tendency to briefly freeze when scrolling from the home screen to the next desktop screen. Using Nova or the Google Now launcher got rid of it. I really wanted to give TW a chance, but I couldn't handle that.

bmoore0909

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
My only disappointment is that I can't reach the back button with my thumb when I'm holding the phone with my left hand. I can ALMOST use the thing completely one handed except for that.
The difference b/w this phone and smaller ones with one hand is that I don't cradle the bottom with my pinky. All fingers are on the back. And that's OK. Just wish my thumb could hit that back button!
I've used the one-handed feature, but who wants that? I wanna see the phone in its full glory.