Can I keep $200 Best Buy gift card if I return the phone?

x081967

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
I preordered from Best Buy (no email yet) and I'm planning to trade in a zero value phone (palm pre or HTC Evo) for the $200 trade in gift card.

Question: If I end up returning the Note 4, do I get to keep the $200 gift card? I think I should be able to, but I'm wondering if anyone knows or actually did this.

Thanks.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
There's no fine print for the gift card in case you return the phone. However, this is not an unlocked device and it is tied to a carrier plan. As such, you might have to pay the termination fee if you return the phone or keep the plan but be 'forced' to get another phone.

That's a tricky move for 200 bucks hehe.

ucsdsig

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I preordered from Best Buy (no email yet) and I'm planning to trade in a zero value phone (palm pre or HTC Evo) for the $200 trade in gift card.

Question: If I end up returning the Note 4, do I get to keep the $200 gift card? I think I should be able to, but I'm wondering if anyone knows or actually did this.

Thanks.

I purchased my Note 4 from BB but have considered returning the device and getting a N6. Several BB reps told me that if I returned the Note 4, I would not get back the $200 gift card I received for the trade-in promotion. They said that the $200 promo was specific to the Note 4 and S5.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
It is specific for those phones, but I thought you got the card right away at trade-in. I guess you get it after the 15-day return window, huh?

theoretically

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
The $200 trade in promo is for the purchase of a note 4/s5 if you return the device why do you think you should get to keep the gift card? They'll either make you turn the giftcard back in or deduct $200 from the refund amount...

M3Stang

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site
I thought they told me that I could get it back. Was planning on using this phone for 2 weeks anyway. Im going to be very upset if this is suddenly different because the rep told me thats how it would go.

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site

***Shaking my head*** why should you keep a $200 gift card for not keeping up your end of the deal (reason you received to begin with), if you return the phone????

tlo07

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
I did return my Note 4 to Best Buy and the guy refunded the tax and Zagg shield price on to another gift card and tried to give it to me ( I still had the original gift card with about $100 left on it). I gave him him back both gift cards and explained to him I had done the trade in deal and that the cards really shouldn't go back to me ( my trade in was probably worth a penny-- Samsung Captivate). He called his manager over and his manager confirmed they needed to void out both gift cards.

I guess I'm saying it's possible you could keep the GC if you get the right person, and you're dishonest.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

x081967

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the responses. I see the deal as two transactions. 1) Trading in my phone for $200. 2) Purchasing the Note 4 for $826.

If I return the phone, I should get the $826 back (minus restocking fee). If I have to return the $200, that's fine with me as long as they give me my phone back. But I doubt they'll do that. I don't think they should get to keep my phone for nothing in return. That's my logic.

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the responses. I see the deal as two transactions. 1) Trading in my phone for $200. 2) Purchasing the Note 4 for $826.

If I return the phone, I should get the $826 back (minus restocking fee). If I have to return the $200, that's fine with me as long as they give me my phone back. But I doubt they'll do that. I don't think they should get to keep my phone for nothing in return. That's my logic.

I think your logic is flawed and it also brings you moral compass into question. If they were 2 separate transactions it would not have mattered what phone you purchased to obtain the 200$. You knew this when you bought it. Same as stealing IMHO.

ucsdsig

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site

Highly doubt your local BB still has your phone. Best case scenario, they refund you the trade-in value of your phone, as determined by their trade-in website.

This scenario is why I traded in an old Droid X2 I had instead of a newer phone like the S3. Worst case, I'm out $13 bucks (value of the X2).

x081967

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Just trying to understand the process and how much risk I'm taking. My phones may have zero value in their systems, but that doesn't mean they don't have value to me (sentimental or otherwise).

Sounds like general consensus is that if a person buys the phone and wants to return it they'll be out the restocking fee and the trade-in phone (with nothing in return). I think that's good to know.

I don't have the phone yet, I'm still waiting for my "preorder" email.

Chris Lanier

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
My plan may be to return my black N4 and then just buy a white N4 when they finally get some.. I think in that case i should be able to keep my promotional gift card.. its not my fault their system wouldnt even let them preorder white N4s

desnabc44

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
I don't understand why you think you should get back more than what you paid. The PROMOTION gave you the extra value for your device. It's almost like having a BOGO free coupon. If you want a refund, you have to return both items and you don't get any money for the free item because (obviously) there's no money to give you back.

When you traded in your phone, that then became their property. If you look at the T&Cs on their trade in program I would bet it says something about transferring ownership to them.

Posted via the Android Central App

tlo07

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
Just trying to understand the process and how much risk I'm taking. My phones may have zero value in their systems, but that doesn't mean they don't have value to me (sentimental or otherwise).

Sounds like general consensus is that if a person buys the phone and wants to return it they'll be out the restocking fee and the trade-in phone (with nothing in return). I think that's good to know.

I don't have the phone yet, I'm still waiting for my "preorder" email.

There is no restocking fee at Best Buy.

MoonShade

Oct 16, 2014
Visit site
You should get the full price for the return of you phone less any fees charged for the return (if there are any). They "purchased" your trade-in from you for a $200 gift card. The BB I went to asked if I wanted to apply the gift card to the purchase or take it with me. Gift cards are typically treated the same as cash but some stores will require the gift card amount to be returned to you in the form of a gift card.

One thing I think we all learned from this BB preorder craziness is that it's possible to get a different answer at different stores. If one store doesn't want to give you the $200 go to a different one, they might.

Psyclone

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
You might want to call them. I had been waiting around for them to contact me after I preordered. I never even got the preorder confirmation. So I decided to call them up on Wednesday the 28th. Imagine my surprise when they told me that my phone was in and had been since the 25th...

So yeah, you might want to call.