Note 4 Chrome Edges - Polished Aluminum or Thin Chrome Plating ?

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
Are the chrome edges on the Note 4 polished aluminum or thin chrome plating?

Was looking at a video on Youtube where a guy says it's just thin chrome plating and will flake off easy when taking in and out of cases. :'(

What ya think?

vitoa

Oct 19, 2014
Visit site
I'm pretty sure the edges are polished aluminum. Although it's possible to chrome aluminum, it's not a common practice. If you look closely under good light, you can see slight machine marks in the edges from the CNC machine center.
This is a big step forward from the chrome plastic on the Note 3 that chipped easily. .

fortune5k

Nov 28, 2014
Visit site
I'm pretty sure the edges are polished aluminum. Although it's possible to chrome aluminum, it's not a common practice. If you look closely under good light, you can see slight machine marks in the edges from the CNC machine center.
This is a big step forward from the chrome plastic on the Note 3 that chipped easily. .

I am sad to say that the "polished edges" are rubbing off where I hold the phone most (back bottom corners where it rests in my hand and back bottom middle where my pinky finger balances the phone for one handed use). It is showing a dark dingy gray aluminum. I've had the phone for a month and this is what happens?

If anyone else is having this issue, register for this forum and post your experience. I chose my note 4 over a 6 Plus because supposedly Samsung finally made a step toward quality and it turns out it's smoke and mirrors. It's Chrome Painted aluminum and before long your edges will no longer reflect light and shine. They will be dark gray aluminun, not "polished aluminum". I'm pissed.

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
The Aluminum edges you mention are the exposed surfaces of the aluminum chassis the phone is built on. A simple online search will bring up any number of photos and articles pointing this out. And as mentioned above you can see the machining marks if you look closely.
The graying of the exposed Aluminum is most likely due to a high acid content in you skin. Aluminum is very susceptible to acid attack. While I have the same issue with brass musical instruments I have not seen it with my Note 4 which I use without a case and have used extensively everyday since I got it on Oct. 22.
The beauty of the internet is that everyone can opine, ... the horror of the internet is that everyone can opine. No actual knowledge of the subject in question is required.

slackerjack

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
I am sad to say that the "polished edges" are rubbing off where I hold the phone most (back bottom corners where it rests in my hand and back bottom middle where my pinky finger balances the phone for one handed use). It is showing a dark dingy gray aluminum. I've had the phone for a month and this is what happens?

If anyone else is having this issue, register for this forum and post your experience. I chose my note 4 over a 6 Plus because supposedly Samsung finally made a step toward quality and it turns out it's smoke and mirrors. It's Chrome Painted aluminum and before long your edges will no longer reflect light and shine. They will be dark gray aluminun, not "polished aluminum". I'm pissed.

Another user with horrible Samsung feedback with less than 10 posts. You Samsung haters need to get lives..

Posted by my Note 4, or Nexus 9...****, maybe by a Note 2014 ed. or hell...maybe it was this Nexus 4 or 5...oh, snap...there's Nexus 7. okay, I need to clean...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie