Note 4 syncs email to S5

Bert Larson

Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
A little off topic but hoping someone could help....

My wife has a S5. I am coming from a Motorola Razr Maxx HD.
We have 1 email account that is not gmail. Our email is from Cox, our ISP.
We do not sync gmail.
Up until my switch to the Note 4, we could each receive, read, reply, delete, etc... from our Cox account without affecting each other's email account.
Now that I have a Note 4, if I delete an email, it deletes on her device as well.
I can see a reply to an email that I didn't reply to, but I know she did.
It will mark emails as read on the other device if one of us opens the email.
Not a huge deal, but for the life of me I couldn't find a setting to prevent this from happening.

Update: This could be normal behavior but I have no idea.

anon(5600632)

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
It sounds like you have logged into both devices using the same email address, and your email is always in sync across all of the devices logged into that address. Even if you share the same Cox account, you ought to be able to each have a separate email address within that account. Use your individual email addresses, rather than the master account info, and the problem should go away.

Bert Larson

Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
That's the deal. We've only ever had 1 account and we have both been logged into it from different devices for ever with out this issue.
Only when I went to the Note 4 from Motorola, this started happening.
I understand I can set up different email accounts...I was curious if this is normal behavior for Samsung devices.
I've had Motorola devices for years.

anon(5600632)

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
What you describe sounds normal not just for Samsung, but for everything. It's hard to understand why it never happened before if two devices shared the same email address - something peculiar to your provider and your old setup. It almost sounds like an PC with Outlook, where you control whether the email program leaves mail on the server or takes it down, which results in devices not being synced. Just about everyone has wanted to get away from that old problem and I'm not aware of smartphones that work that way. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Trigati

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
It sounds like one account (on the Note 4 I'd imagine) is set to POP, not IMAP from a quick read. If nothing else, I'd go through the all the settings (basic and advanced) on each phone and make sure the Note 4's settings are identical to the S5's.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Exactly. IMAP keeps the email on the server - delete it and it's gone. POP3 keeps it on your computer (or phone). Delete it and it's still on the server. (Most clients running to a POP3 account have a checkbox that says something like "delete messages on server", meaning that - if you check the box - deleting it on your phone will also delete it on the server. But the default is to leave it on the server.

Bert Larson

Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
That was it. IMAP versus POP3.
I deleted my account and manually set it up using POP3 and set delete on server to Never.
When I set up my phone initially and I added my email account it chose IMAP.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trudycharles