Switching Sim Cards with Verizon Note 4 in International Countries

doubleu11

Nov 4, 2014
Visit site
I am looking to purchase a Verizon Note 4 knowing that I will be traveling a lot. While I know this topic has been discussed a little in other phone's forums, I would like some information about traveling with this new Note 4 internationally. Can someone tell me the basics on how to use this phone with international networks? More specifically, I do not want to use Verizon while overseas, rather I want to purchase a networks sim card and switch it out. I understand this phone should be "unlocked" from Verizon but what are the steps to connecting to a new network to use voice, text and data? Will using this phone versus the European version give me different data speeds? What does the international phone version have/not have that the Verizon phone has? Specifications on a website have led to me being confused. What is up with switching the APN and does this phone have the ability to do it out of the box? Can someone dumb this down for me?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
While it is factory sim unlocked, you will have to activate it on Verizon first. I am not sure if the region lock applies, to be safe, make 5 minutes of calls on Verizon.

As for using it abroad, pop in the local SIM and change the apn to the settings from the local carrier. Whoever you buy the sim from abroad can help you with this. With the local SIM installed, go to "settings - more networks - mobile networks - apns". Them add the apn.

With regards to connectivity, the Verizon version is quad band gsm so you should get signal everywhere. But it might not support 3g/4g/lte where you are going. There are many versions, it is hard to say which will give you the best connectivity without knowing what country and carrier you are planning on using. Per Verizon's website, this is what it supports :

Network: LTE Band 13/4 (700/1700 MHz), CDMA/1xEVDO Rev. A (800/1900 MHz); Global Network: EDGE/GSM (850/900/1800/1900), HSPA/UMTS(850/900/1900/2100)

As such you should be able to get 2g/3g/4g in many places but probably won't get 4glte.

You can check specific network frequencies here :
http://www.worldtimezone.com/gsm.html

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4

Last edited:

smoothrunnings

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
In most countries you can buy disposable phones with time on them. It might be better to just do that instead as putting a SIM in may not be allowed by the local carriers. In Colombia for instance cell companies require that you are a resident of Colombia and can prove that you have had a steady incoming there for the last 3 years before they even set you up with an account. :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad