Notification Sound for text message not working

jleighface

Jun 27, 2016
Visit site
OMG I was having this issue for 2 weeks and only just decided to actually look into how to fix it since I've been missing a lot of texts. I specifically signed up to this forum so that I could thank you!

Bowlingstorm

Jun 29, 2016
Visit site
Unfortunately still not working for me still (Galaxy S5, Android 4.4.4, AT&T). I've tried all of the above fixes, nothing works. Am still not getting text message sound when message app is open and chat string is ongoing, only when the app is closed do I hear a notification sound then, upon opening and reviewing message, should that person keep texting, no sound. I've also tried installing a 3rd party message application from Google Play Store just to test it out, and still have the same problem, no sound with chat/message text string. ANY THOUGHTS APPRECIATED. Thanks! (If / when AT&T updates to Lollipop maybe this will go away ugh.)

I've tried every thing on Google and none of them fixed the problem but I figure it out on my own. Go to settings>application manager>messages> notifications were set to blocked this happens after at&t update hope this helps

gramblam

Jul 1, 2016
Visit site
Go to notifications under settings and make sure notifications for texting are turned on. I just ffound this. Somehow my text notification got turned off. Easy fix. Hope it helps

sbuska

Jul 4, 2016
Visit site
Wow! I should've asked you two weeks ago! Your answer fixed my problem in about 2 seconds - maybe less. Thanks and Happy 4th!

Sheila

OhStripess15

Jul 5, 2016
Visit site
So this is how to fix the Galaxy s6 messaging notification issue. 1)go to Settings 2)go to Sounds and Notifications 3)go to App Notifications 4)scroll down to your Messaging App and click on it 5)Un toggle the Block Notification. All set and you should be good to go. Hope this was helpful. 😊👍

hemisaurus

Jul 9, 2016
Visit site
Unfortunately still not working for me still (Galaxy S5, Android 4.4.4, AT&T). I've tried all of the above fixes, nothing works. Am still not getting text message sound when message app is open and chat string is ongoing, only when the app is closed do I hear a notification sound then, upon opening and reviewing message, should that person keep texting, no sound. I've also tried installing a 3rd party message application from Google Play Store just to test it out, and still have the same problem, no sound with chat/message text string. ANY THOUGHTS APPRECIATED. Thanks! (If / when AT&T updates to Lollipop maybe this will go away ugh.)

i went to settings < applications < application manager clicked more to select system apps than scrolled down to messages then select notification and it had a slider in there that says allow / block notifications.

Darniki Sams

Aug 4, 2016
Visit site
I was getting text messages, but my notification sound wasn't working. I had the volume all the way up and the song/ringtone that I picked worked. (Cause I had to play a preview of it before I could select it.) So I knew nothing was wrong with my speaker. The app that I chose for my text messages, for some reason, automatically disabled all notifications on my phone. So I would get text messages, but it wouldn't ring or notify me that I had gotten a one, even though I knew the volume was up and everything worked. To fix, I had to go into my messenger app>>>settings>>>notification settings>>>enable notifications. This fixed the issue for me, I hope this helps some of you.

Thank you this worked for me

Ijwsicnh

Aug 4, 2016
Visit site
I was getting text messages, but my notification sound wasn't working. I had the volume all the way up and the song/ringtone that I picked worked. (Cause I had to play a preview of it before I could select it.) So I knew nothing was wrong with my speaker. The app that I chose for my text messages, for some reason, automatically disabled all notifications on my phone. So I would get text messages, but it wouldn't ring or notify me that I had gotten a one, even though I knew the volume was up and everything worked. To fix, I had to go into my messenger app>>>settings>>>notification settings>>>enable notifications. This fixed the issue for me, I hope this helps some of you.

Misshollywood! Thank you so very much. This was my exact problem. As soon as I Enabled messenger it started working. Again, thank you very much.

Gregorj

Aug 6, 2016
Visit site
As ridiculous as this sounds, I have spent the last 2 days fiddling around and diving through songs and I finally found a fix that worked for me. I have the galaxy s5 through Verizon...go to Settings>>>Applications>>>Messages>>>Notifications>>>Notification Sound. When it pops up to let you pick what sound you want, turn the volume up or down using the button on the side of your phone. I have no idea what made me think of this, but it worked and I finally have sound on my text message notifications. Hope this helps everyone!!

Thanks...that worked for my Note 5 through Verizon. It was making me crazy because all of my other volumes were up.

bcrestedj

Aug 6, 2016
Visit site
(I did not write the above message)
My response to it is:
YES, lately, when I receive a text message - I can hardly hear my text ring tone. Don't know where I can adjust volume. Anyone know??

Tasty 4Lyf

Sep 9, 2016
Visit site
I finally solved my problem! After reading through pages of solutions in this thread, I just can't find the exact solution I needed. I went to try out stuff myself. NOW HERE IS HOW I FIXED IT:

1. Go to Settings (Android phones may vary)
2. Then go to Audio Profiles
3. For this example, tap on 'General' Profile. A pop should say 'Edit' Click on that.

4. Now what you want to look for is 'Volume' and 'Notification Sound'

5. When you tap volume, you will see that your 'Notification' sound is muted or off. Slide until its maxed so you can hear your notification sounds FINALLY!!

6. Under Notification Sound, go ahead and change the 'Default notification sound' to the ringtone or notif sound you desire.

This worked for me. I hope it helps others too.

Bruce404

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
I was having the same problem of no sound on incoming SMS txt messaging, more or less since the Android 6.0 ("Marshmallow") update a couple of months ago on my Galaxy S5 (from T-Mobile USA).

My standard, Samsung-default messaging app's settings for sound and notification seemed correct, and the phone's GEAR ICON > Settings > Quick Settings > Sounds and notifications list showed all four types of sounds were set to full blast (Ringtone, Media, Notifications, System).

I think I have discovered the problem following a clue by others on this forum. But I don't know if Marshmallow caused it.

I went to GEAR ICON > Settings > Apps > Application manager > Messages (the default Samsung app with the "envelope" icon) > Notifications, where I saw that the "Allow notifications" option was somehow turned off.

I turned it on. But until I get an incoming SMS text, I won't be able to confirm this solved the problem. But I am pretty sure it will. Hope this reply to the original problem helps others.

mrnytowl0

Sep 23, 2016
Visit site
After updates, I too had this problem. This might help. Go to settings, then Sounds and Notif.,then down to Application Notif., then down to Messages. Mine was set to "blocked". Why don't know..?? Turn ON. This may help most or all. If not bypass and just download a text message app. and be done with the frustration.