Notification Sound for text message not working

Bradh370

Mar 23, 2015
Visit site
Found a solution to this issue for me. Hope it works for everybody else.

Go to Settings, Apps, Messenger+ and make sure there is a check in the Show Notifications box.

2015-03-23 18.18.47.png

rachmcwineo

Mar 26, 2015
Visit site
As ridiculous as this sounds, I have spent the last 2 days fiddling around and diving through songs and I finally found a fix that worked for me. I have the galaxy s5 through Verizon...go to Settings>>>Applications>>>Messages>>>Notifications>>>Notification Sound. When it pops up to let you pick what sound you want, turn the volume up or down using the button on the side of your phone. I have no idea what made me think of this, but it worked and I finally have sound on my text message notifications. Hope this helps everyone!!

OMG THIS WORKED! THANK YOU! so simple lol....

JCravelle

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Unfortunately still not working for me still (Galaxy S5, Android 4.4.4, AT&T). I've tried all of the above fixes, nothing works. Am still not getting text message sound when message app is open and chat string is ongoing, only when the app is closed do I hear a notification sound then, upon opening and reviewing message, should that person keep texting, no sound. I've also tried installing a 3rd party message application from Google Play Store just to test it out, and still have the same problem, no sound with chat/message text string. ANY THOUGHTS APPRECIATED. Thanks! (If / when AT&T updates to Lollipop maybe this will go away ugh.)

Colin Mayr

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
I found a fix...maybe. I'm running lollipop on a US Cell LG G3. I had the lock screen turned off so as soon as I woke my phone ( The g3 has a 'double tap on the screen to wake' feature) it would go straight to what i had been doing and I didn't have to swipe to unlock or any of that. If that's the case for you, enabling a lock screen again might make your phone give you the notifications you're looking for. It's a pain because I don't want a lock screen, but at least I'm aware of messages coming in again.

Best.

Nitro211K

Oct 7, 2014
Visit site
As ridiculous as this sounds, I have spent the last 2 days fiddling around and diving through songs and I finally found a fix that worked for me. I have the galaxy s5 through Verizon...go to Settings>>>Applications>>>Messages>>>Notifications>>>Notification Sound. When it pops up to let you pick what sound you want, turn the volume up or down using the button on the side of your phone. I have no idea what made me think of this, but it worked and I finally have sound on my text message notifications. Hope this helps everyone!!

Hi, Which phone and Carrier did this work on? (I tried this on my Sprint Note 4 Lollipop and no dice on that method).

RandylK

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
I found this forum looking for the cause of my Galaxy S6 personalized contact message tones not working in message+
While looking for the mute conversation option mentioned earlier I discovered 'Tone' at the bottom.
Apparently with this app you have to set the message tone in the contact AND message+ conversation thread.

I hope this helps someone.

misshollywood_1976

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
I was getting text messages, but my notification sound wasn't working. I had the volume all the way up and the song/ringtone that I picked worked. (Cause I had to play a preview of it before I could select it.) So I knew nothing was wrong with my speaker. The app that I chose for my text messages, for some reason, automatically disabled all notifications on my phone. So I would get text messages, but it wouldn't ring or notify me that I had gotten a one, even though I knew the volume was up and everything worked. To fix, I had to go into my messenger app>>>settings>>>notification settings>>>enable notifications. This fixed the issue for me, I hope this helps some of you.

BobHelms

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Newbe. Galaxy S5 Verizon. This issue (no message notification sound) started after the 5.0 Lollipop update. When I decrease the ring volume to mute and later turn it back up to the original setting I lose my message notification sound. I've gone through all the settings in this post, none of them work. When I do a restart the problem goes away. Is there any way to escalate this issue with Google support? TIA for any help.

Marc Vance

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
GS5, 4.4.4 G900A (ATT)

Hope this helps everyone.

I was having the same issue, went through all the fixes, nothing worked........ however, after disabling the "pop-up window" for the stock sms messaging app, I have not have had a problem since. It's a nice feature which I would like to have as a preview, shame......

Anyone know whether this is an android issue,or a hardware fail??

1421092825550.jpg
(obvoiusly not my phone, but an example...)

peyoung

Apr 24, 2015
Visit site
Hi Everybody. I have a Galaxy Note 4. I too have the issue of the notification alert not sounding if the conversation is open.I had upgraded from a Note 3 which chimed with each incoming message. I thought there would be a simple solution I just hadn't found yet. So I called Samsung customer service. Samsung rep. stated there will NOT be an alert if the conversation is open. "Because if you're looking at the screen you don't need an alert" she said. No solution...no work-around. That's it... just the way it is! SAMSUNG FAIL!

BTW I loved my Note 3. But the reason I received an upgrade was because of issues it had with hairline cracks appearing all around the bezel. I'm loosing confidence in Samsung!

joker8334

Apr 30, 2015
Visit site
Yea unfortunately this happened on my note 3 when it updated to lollipop. If conversation is open you wont get alert. Now if im active in the convo isnt too big a problem...issue is if i leave convo open and put phone down. Screen locks and turns off but i still wont get alerts bc convo is tecnically "open". Ugh smh

pups3

May 8, 2015
Visit site

Thank u, thanku, thank u! I thought I had tried everything. Now i just need to figure out how to be able to connect to my pioneer nex 6000 so i can see my phone screen on it. Anyone have any thoughts? Thanks again!

Last edited by a moderator:

lollipopfail

May 19, 2015
Visit site
Hi Everybody. I have a Galaxy Note 4. I too have the issue of the notification alert not sounding if the conversation is open.I had upgraded from a Note 3 which chimed with each incoming message. I thought there would be a simple solution I just hadn't found yet. So I called Samsung customer service. Samsung rep. stated there will NOT be an alert if the conversation is open. "Because if you're looking at the screen you don't need an alert" she said. No solution...no work-around. That's it... just the way it is! SAMSUNG FAIL!

BTW I loved my Note 3. But the reason I received an upgrade was because of issues it had with hairline cracks appearing all around the bezel. I'm loosing confidence in Samsung!

Does anyone know of a 3rd party messaging app that still has this response notification ringtone alert feature in open conversations?
Thanks.

cindygbt

May 21, 2015
Visit site
I had the galaxy s6 edge and had the same issue. My boyfriend has the same phone and his works fine.. BUT I have tmobile and he has Verizon. His text message app is Verizon Message.. my is Samsung Message. So I downloaded the Verizon app to my phone and now I get the notifications... not ideal but its a solution.

lollipopfail

May 19, 2015
Visit site
It's lollipop - After 2 hours of tech support with Verizon, and the Verizon Tech calling the Samsung Tech, I was told the stock Samsung Messenger App with Lollipop no longer had an alert for open SMS Messenger because "If it is open, it means you are looking at it." <eyeroll> I explained to them that I was waiting for someone the other day after texting them "I'm ready" then I proceeded to put my shoes on, they sat outside my house and texted me 10 times to let me know they were waiting... with no alert. The same issue with the stock Calendar, stock notifications don't work, however if you choose the dropdown choice "email" as the alert it works, but then you have to clear out your email because it is filled with emails of alert notifications.

After looking at the 3rd party choices (for hours) I installed both SMS KK and Calendar KK, I paid for the Prime version. I love them. I disabled the stock apps afterward. I have no idea what back processes these 2 stock apps were running but since I disabled them my phone's battery life has doubled and everything is running smoother/faster.

Finally, I am considering disabling the stock Galaxy S5 camera app because the Lollipop update has affected it as well. Autofocus is iffy, as soon as I open it the phone gets hot and the battery drains rapidly. I have 2 other Camera Apps on my phone already and neither of them have performance issues.

I hope this helps others, and thank you both for helping.

I'm just curious if both of your phones run the Lollipop OS (OS = operating system)? My phone is a Verizon Galaxy S5 and the issues only occured after Verizon forced me to update from KitKat to the new Lollipop OS. I declined the update because I was aware of the issues, until Verizon no longer allowed anyone to decline. It is my understanding that some carriers don't have Lollipop yet, but I would think that a phone as new as the GS6 edge would have Lollipop as the original install regardless of the carrier.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
That's the one I use. I like it a lot. It has a lot of options, and from what I understand, it will work on non-Verizon devices too. As a matter of fact, I use it on my wi-fi-only Galaxy Tab S tablet too. Works great there as well.

It doesn't have that ugly orange does it? I might look at that.