Notification Sound for text message not working

cdnredrose

Dec 20, 2016
Visit site
Thank you so much! While playing around with settings a few weeks ago I turned off sound on my notifications, expecting it to affect my incoming emails and Facebook notifications, not my texts. If course it did. I've didn't the last couple weeks trying to get it back, but couldn't remember how I'd got there. This worked, and once again I can hear when I'm getting text messages!!

Suloubrad88

Jan 5, 2017
Visit site
My fix~~~~
Samsung Galaxy S6
Consumer cellular/ ATT network
Android version 6.0.1

Settings > Notifications (under device) > Messages (flip the switch next to messages to "on")

I don't know how it ever got switched off.. I didn't even have any system update or anything.
Hope this helps!
😄

ChocolateDIVA822

Jan 5, 2017
Visit site
Thank You OmG I have been trying all day and pretty good with electronic and for the life of me I read a lot on gooogle trying what others was saying and it didn't work. Finally decided to go lower on thread and BAM I read yours and in a blink messages was the only one turned off weird I would never go to the screen for nothing.

MsRose426

Nov 24, 2016
Visit site
I have tried every single suggestion on this thread and NOTHING works...I am so frustrated...I have no idea why this has happened but its been going on for a few months... Ugh :'(

Sunnie49er

Jan 21, 2017
Visit site
I tried many of the suggestions in this thread, but none seemed to work for me. I was not receiving notifications of any kind for text messages. I tried restarting the phone, removing the SIM card, going into Settings > Applications > Messages > Notifications and tried all the tricks with the volume and choosing a different notification sound, etc.... still nothing. I have the Galaxy S6 by the way. It turns out there is another setting aside from turning Notifications on or off. There is also a setting to block notifications. I don't know how it got turned on but here you go: Settings > Applications > Application Manager > Messages > Notifications > Allow Notifications > ON!!

Omg thank you for figuring it out. I have tried everything I could think of to fix the sound on messages and nothing work till found ur solution. Thanks I can stop going nuts!!

kmangirl

Jan 22, 2017
Visit site
Yes this helped me! Thank you.

Another way I found to do it is to go to

settings>>>sounds and vibration>>>>volume>>>and turn up the "notification" volume!

bigbmc26

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Yes this helped me! Thank you.

Another way I found to do it is to go to

settings>>>sounds and vibration>>>>volume>>>and turn up the "notification" volume!

This lead me to realize that android wear was muting all notifications on the device. Once I turned that off in the android wear app, everything is back to normal, all notifications work now.

lilcritter9

Feb 3, 2017
Visit site
I don't know about other phones but on the Samsung Galaxy Luna every time you change one volume there is a little down arrow next to the slider. If you tap it it will allow you to change any volume you like (Ringtone, Media, Notifications and System Sounds) .

dappydarwin

Feb 15, 2017
Visit site
I created my account just for a response to this. After dealing with using another application for over a year I finally found the setting that fixed my issue with no notification sound coming from the native client, Go to Settings >>> Sounds and notification >>> Application notifications >>> Messages >>> ensure "Allow notifications" is turned on. It states right in the description "Receive notifications from this app, including notification messages, sounds, and vibration." It's finally working!!!!!!!!

RichWINTER

Feb 18, 2017
Visit site
I have a Samsung S6 and about three weeks ago (after latest Android update - 6.0.1), when the Verizon Messages+ app was open in a conversation, it wouldn't sound an alert if someone replied immediately to my message (it used to!). You can imagine how frustrating when you turn away for a few seconds after sending a message and the screen times out, and you're waiting and waiting and waiting for a reply, only to discover minutes later that the reply was received right away, but your alert notification didn't inform you. Also happened to my wife's exact same phone.

I searched through hundreds of messages in a variety of threads and tried every suggestion possible; in many instances the features on my phone were already activated so those obviously weren't the issues. Got as desperate as installing two different messaging apps from Google Playstore; one was a piece of junk and the other had the same issue - no alert if app was open. Two and one-half hours later, out of severe desperation, I re-enabled the Verizon app...AND NOW IT WORKS!

So, if you try the various suggestions (they are worth trying, because you never know what is going on behind the scenes) and nothing works, try reloading the Verizon app and hopefully that will do the trick!

Now if I could only get the alert sound to work when I say "OK GOOGLE"... :(

ChelseaNobles

Mar 4, 2017
Visit site
As ridiculous as this sounds, I have spent the last 2 days fiddling around and diving through songs and I finally found a fix that worked for me. I have the galaxy s5 through Verizon...go to Settings>>>Applications>>>Messages>>>Notifications>>>Notification Sound. When it pops up to let you pick what sound you want, turn the volume up or down using the button on the side of your phone. I have no idea what made me think of this, but it worked and I finally have sound on my text message notifications. Hope this helps everyone!!

That worked, great idea, thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:

Delmessgirl

Mar 6, 2017
Visit site
I received my Samsung Galaxy S7 about a week and a half ago, suddenly my text sound stopped alerting me. After searching several forums, including this one. I found that going to settings >device>applications> application manager, then scrolling to messages, once there my notifications were set to Off, once I turned it back on problem was solved. I have no idea how it got turned off, unless an upgrade did it. Hope that helps

daRicksta

Mar 17, 2017
Visit site
The same thing was happening on my wife's phone plus the green notification LED wasn't flashing when I sent her texts. I looked at the last text I sent her and to the right side of it there was a speaker with an X icon. I tapped the 3-bar settings menu with our conversation and saw "Unmute Conversation". I tapped it and that speaker icon disappeared. Now my wife is hearing the message notification tone when I send her a text and the green LED is once again flashing.

SwarthySynthStudio

Mar 22, 2017
Visit site
Hey guys,
Galaxy J7
I was having a similar issue and i recently discovered that Android now has a separate tab called 'notifications' under the settings menu, where you can toggle each applications notifications and their appropriate parameters. I'm my case the messenger application was set to "off". Go figure

Padillaz

Mar 23, 2017
Visit site
I have a NOTE 5 and had he same issues for the past few days after an update to Android 6.01 with none of my sounds coming through. I figured out that messenger was BLOCKED.
Go to: SETTINGS-APPLICATIONS---under "APPLICATION SETTINGS" find "MESSAGES" and make sure that "NOTIFICATIONS" is turned ON.

rckimmo

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
I couldn't get any notifications either on my s7. Sound mode on? Check. Volume turned up? Check. Notifications for email and messaging apps on? Check. Still nothing.

I ended up at Settings > Sounds and Vibration > Volume and discovered that the Notification volume was on silent. Whaaaat? Anyway, I increased the volume and voila! Problem solved!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca