Are these software problems or hardware problems(Wifi related) ?

dlee1001

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
When I connect to Wi-Fi, it usually works as expected, just with slow data speeds (and it turns out that it's a network issue, not the phone). But occasionally, the phone keeps the Wi-Fi signal, but the Internet connection is completely dropped, which makes any app requiring Internet access useless. When I ask others around me who have phones connected to the same network, I see that they have Internet connection. To resolve the problem, I have to turn Wi-Fi off and back on again.

I've also noticed recently that sometimes the phone doesn't connect to the Wi-Fi network even when it's in range. When I see why, the phone says "Failed to obtain IP address." Again, turning Wi-Fi off and back on again fixes the issue. But in both cases, the fix is temporary.

Right now, I have the "Always allow scanning" turned OFF, location services are set to high accuracy, and Wi-Fi Power-save mode is enabled. The idea that resetting the Wi-Fi restores lost connections tells me that it's a software issue (i.e. easily fixed) rather than a hardware issue, but I'd like to know what you think.

Are there any known issues with Wi-Fi functionality in Android 4.4.4, and have any of you experienced the same problems as described above?

Trinatek

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site
Re: Are these software problems or hardware problems?

There are a few threads about this. I myself, posted one not too long ago. There are some things to do to help alleviate the issue.

dlee1001

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site

Given that there are so many threads about this phone in general, can you please provide me a link to your thread and perhaps a few proposed solutions?

Anyone else is welcome to chime in on this. Thank you!

Trinatek

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site

Apologies - I checked both threads that I had posted about the issue (on these forums as well as xda's), and the majority of the responses in those threads were more of "Yeah, we've experienced it too" from various users.

I can't recall all the things I did specifically - but you may have to look into checking your router's wireless settings. Some people reported that changing the channels you're on may help if you're in a busy wifi location - or if you're not, that it could possibly be that you have a dual band router that your phone might not be liking shooting two different frequencies that's causing the phone to keep jumping back and forth.

dlee1001

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site

Perhaps when we get the Lollipop update, we'll see some better speeds and stability with the Wi-Fi. And at least we're not the only ones with this problem.

twolastnames

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site

You live in an apartment, or have a lot of Wireless networks visible? Could just be a ton of interference from other networks. Mine does this, but I'm in an apartment, and am assuming it's this.

dlee1001

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site

This actually happened last night when there was only one Wi-Fi network, the one I always connect to. It's a university network, and recently they've run into speed problems. But stability was never an issue until I got the Note 4 (see original post as a reminder). Turning Wi-Fi off and on again is a temporary fix that actually lasts several days until it acts up again. I'm not sure whether it's a software or hardware issue on my phone, as others around me (who had older phones) were able to use the Wi-Fi connection for Internet while my phone struggled.

Trinatek

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site

Just to add my statistic too, I don't live in an apartment - am literally less than 15 feet away from my router, only have two other SSIDs pop up when searching for a Wifi signal (and they're normally only at 1 bar strength), and I was experiencing this issue too, prior to tweaking my router settings a bit.

So, who knows.

MrWinner77

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site

Check your router and create separate SSIDs for your 2.5Ghz and 5Ghz bands. May help with your situation at home anyway.

Posted via Android Central App

rlanza1054

Samsung - SPH-D710
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site

When I connect to Wi-Fi, it usually works as expected, just with slow data speeds (and it turns out that it's a network issue, not the phone). But occasionally, the phone keeps the Wi-Fi signal, but the Internet connection is completely dropped, which makes any app requiring Internet access useless. When I ask others around me who have phones connected to the same network, I see that they have Internet connection. To resolve the problem, I have to turn Wi-Fi off and back on again.

I've also noticed recently that sometimes the phone doesn't connect to the Wi-Fi network even when it's in range. When I see why, the phone says "Failed to obtain IP address." Again, turning Wi-Fi off and back on again fixes the issue. But in both cases, the fix is temporary.

Right now, I have the "Always allow scanning" turned OFF, location services are set to high accuracy, and Wi-Fi Power-save mode is enabled. The idea that resetting the Wi-Fi restores lost connections tells me that it's a software issue (i.e. easily fixed) rather than a hardware issue, but I'd like to know what you think.

Are there any known issues with Wi-Fi functionality in Android 4.4.4, and have any of you experienced the same problems as described above?
Me and another person are having the same issue.

Please read our posts.

I want all the users that are having the exact same issue to band together and then get Samsung to recognize that its a real issue.

Here is a link to what I wrote.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?p=4030763

And the link to the other person. I plan on staying inside that persons thread for now.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?p=4030813

Rob

PS I found the easiest temporary fix is to just do a restart of your phone (no need to power off, just a restart). Seems turning WiFi off and on again does not fix it. The routing tables have gotten corrupted and the only way I know how to clear out bad data rebuild tables is to do a restart. Mine you its a temporary fix until we have enough masse to inform Samsung that these are not isolated incidents. As I've written, I already spoke with Sprint (easy, because I got an American speaking person out in Utah). I need to call her back and tell her that my latest changes did not work and the problem is still happening and now I will tell her I found at least 4 other people.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

tallguy5

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site

I'm having the same problem. This is happening at both work and home for me, so I'm pretty sure it's the phone and not the routers, especially as every other device at both locations is working as it always has. The phone was working just fine for the first week. Didn't install anything or reboot when this began happening.

dlee1001

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site

I'm having the same problem. This is happening at both work and home for me, so I'm pretty sure it's the phone and not the routers, especially as every other device at both locations is working as it always has. The phone was working just fine for the first week. Didn't install anything or reboot when this began happening.

I'm giving this post a bump, because the main issue I see now with my phone is that it stays connected to the Wi-Fi network, but it drops the Internet connection after a few minutes/hours, resulting in all apps saying that I have no Internet. It happens quite suddenly too. I've tried forgetting the network and connecting again, disabling "Always allow scanning" and "Passpoint," and clearing the cache, but they haven't fixed the problem. The only fix I can think of is a temporary one where I turn Wi-Fi off and back on again. But the problem comes back a few hours later. Very frustrating.

Given that there are other posts about Wi-Fi issues on this phone, I'm beginning to think it's an Android 4.4.4 issue or with the Note 4 in general; my Note 2 running 4.4.2 has absolutely NO problems with maintaining an Internet connection on Wi-Fi. I don't have access to the router's config page because it's maintained by the university. Can anyone at all give us some insights about WHY these Wi-Fi issues are happening?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

it's maintained by the university.
They may be dropping connections for inactivity after some fixed time period, since they're probably running a single subnet, which would allow a maximum of 253 simultaneous connections and that's almost nothing for a university.