Impressed with the camera

pantlesspenguin

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
The note 4 takes horrible pictures with the front facing camera in low light situations, it also lags while moving the phone while using the front facing camera in those low light situations.

I haven't been getting bad shots with my ffc. Here's me with my cat in my apartment at night with only a lamp on across the room and light from my TV.

UPQPkwf.jpg

twolastnames

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
I just tried it out in a low light situation and it did run smoother then normal selfie mode. Is their anyway to get clearer shots with the front facing camera in low light situations?

Turn some lights on. Is there a FFC on a phones that takes good low light pics?

Posted via the Android Central App

salmanahmad

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
The note 4 takes horrible pictures with the front facing camera in low light situations, it also lags while moving the phone while using the front facing camera in those low light situations.

Would you mind making a video of this to explain this a little better?

I think that this could be caused by the fact that the front camera drops the FPS in lowlight to account for tje lack of actual light.

The UI above the viewfinder is smooth, the camera just seems jittery because of it trying to gather more light.

But I could be wrong, so please make a video on this issue and show us.

Unfortunately, RAW images are much bigger, but won't offer much more dynamic range (highlight and shadow detail) than the JPEG images you now get from your phone. On a full-frame DSLR, I only shoot RAW, and the advantage over JPEG is huge. But as the sensor size gets smaller and the image resolution gets bigger, the pixels get MUCH smaller. Small pixels don't offer much in the way of dynamic range, thus, even with the mandatory post-processing, RAW images won't be much that better than the JPEGs you're now used to, especially in low-light.

The main advantage to RAW will be that you can adjust the white balance AFTER the image is taken. Frankly, the video shows about the same capabilities that you'd have if you post-processed the JPEG image (even though he indicates it isn't) - and most people aren't going to want to post-process all their images!

bert

Maybe you're right, but most of us haven't even tried RAW on our phones yet.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/paulmon...update-could-improve-every-smartphone-camera/

But some of the articles and images I've seen show that RAW captures significantly more detail.

Look at this example from the above article(and it's lowlight):

1415561976780.jpg

I'm sure that not all people would be willing to whip out their laptop or PC to edit each image buuuut...given how advanced Android we might just see some RAW image editing applications for our phones soon.

I hope the implementation of RAW is like Windows Phone, where the phone takes two images(one JPEG and one RAW) so that you have one image to instantly upload and the second one to edit later.

There are tons of other camera features coming in Android Lollipop, here's a list:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/0...bles-burst-mode-thorough-control-photos-much/

(And if someone asks how this is relevant to the Note 4, it is because the Note 4 will get Android Lollipop soon)

pantlesspenguin

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
I don't consider that picture to be low light. I'm talking about taking pictures at clubs, bowling alleys (at night) or at hotels (at night).

I had about as much light as your average hotel room. Again, there was no overhead lighting, just a lamp from across the room and my TV.

the tall guy

Q&A Team
Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
I don't consider that picture to be low light. I'm talking about taking pictures at clubs, bowling alleys (at night) or at hotels (at night).

do you have the beauty face mode on high? try turning it down to zero - I noticed this when taking a selfie with my niece - when the beauty face is on it produces a little bit of lag, when it's off I didnt notice any issues.

mayconvert

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
2014 Moto X was also said to have a be average. but I get great photos out of it with a little work Taking the picture.
Boo Sleep.jpg

This is an indoor, low-ish light pic.