Problems with NFC transactions

M3Stang

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site
Everytime I use NFC at vending machines at school or at disney, my payments never work. I have my pin in and all that and when I tap the phone the vending machines beep, looks like they are doing something, my phone opens google wallet, and then the vending machines say "MC debit cards are not allowed" I don't have MC anyway I have visa. Anyone else encounter this? My friend tried this with their iPhone 6 with apple pay and it worked just fine according to them.

Posted via the Android Central App

rrspikes

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Google Wallet uses a virtual MC.

I feel your pain about not being able to use GW at Disney!

M3Stang

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site
Sucks. I even tried softcard with the same result. Is there any form of nfc payment that works?

flexfield

May 19, 2013
Visit site
Yes, Google Wallet works at Walgreens. They embrace this payment technology unlike CVS and Rite Aid, who want you to use their "CurrentC" payment system that attaches to your checking account.

raziel

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Just tried Google Wallet tap and pay at McDonald's and it works fine. I think what people forget to do is they need to actually tap the NFC reader to get it to work. Took me awhile to figure it out!

TWC42

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
Just tried Google Wallet tap and pay at McDonald's and it works fine. I think what people forget to do is they need to actually tap the NFC reader to get it to work. Took me awhile to figure it out!

I hope that fixes the problem I'm having. Been trying both Softcard and Wallet at various McD's. It's not working like I've seen on YouTube videos. In all cases, with both payment systems, I get a message to the effect that the transaction was not verified (although it did go through) and to check with the cashier. This is after having my SIM replaced at the AT&T store (HTC One M7). I'm beginning to suspect something wrong with my phone.

mrwallyy

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Disclaimer I have a Note 3

Do you have your Visa linked? Does it look like this:

Attachments

• 2014-11-14-23-45-00.jpg
    2014-11-14-23-45-00.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 62

TWC42

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
Yep, except I got $25.00 in my Wallet balance :)
When I switch back and forth between Wallet and Softcard, I make sure the one I am going to use is selected under NFC, Tap and Pay. The charges eventually go through, I can see them almost immediately on my Amex mobile app under pending charges, and Wallet eventually sends me an email confirming the purchase.
But the transaction should be instant without the need to verify it manually by pushing more buttons on the screen or asking the cashier for confirmation.
I see that you have Amazon Chase linked to your Wallet. I have that on my Wallet as a secondary card. Even though Softcard is supposed to work with Chase, it would not accept my Amazon Chase card.
As someone pointed out in another thread, charges via Wallet to Amex show up as "Wallet B" and are treated as business expense, rather than the actual use, i.e., gas station, restaurant, grocery store. This reduces or eliminates the points one would get if the charge was reported correctly. Softcard, OTOH, reports the charges exactly as they are to Amex.
With all these glitches, limitations and foibles, it's no wonder tap and pay is slow to be adopted.

mrwallyy

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Yep, except I got $25.00 in my Wallet balance :)
When I switch back and forth between Wallet and Softcard, I make sure the one I am going to use is selected under NFC, Tap and Pay. The charges eventually go through, I can see them almost immediately on my Amex mobile app under pending charges, and Wallet eventually sends me an email confirming the purchase.
But the transaction should be instant without the need to verify it manually by pushing more buttons on the screen or asking the cashier for confirmation.
I see that you have Amazon Chase linked to your Wallet. I have that on my Wallet as a secondary card. Even though Softcard is supposed to work with Chase, it would not accept my Amazon Chase card.
As someone pointed out in another thread, charges via Wallet to Amex show up as "Wallet B" and are treated as business expense, rather than the actual use, i.e., gas station, restaurant, grocery store. This reduces or eliminates the points one would get if the charge was reported correctly. Softcard, OTOH, reports the charges exactly as they are to Amex.
With all these glitches, limitations and foibles, it's no wonder tap and pay is slow to be adopted.

From my credit card activity ...

Capture.JPG

TWC42

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
So it seems that your Chase card handles Google Wallet purchases differently than my Amex card
If I go to the details of a Wallet purchase on Amex, it lists the transaction as GOOGNFC*MCDONALDS........
If I look at the details of the transaction, it lists it as GOOGLE WALLET B with the Mountainview CA address
The category is Business Services.
A purchase at ShopRite was handled the same way, Business Services
However, a purchase with Softcard on Amex was listed as Sftcrd MCDONALDS.......
Details showed the actual McDonald's, and the category was Restaurant.
So it seems that the problem of losing points is USING AN AMEX CARD WITH WALLET
Use a different card on Wallet and the points may be credited properly.
Use Amex on Softcard, and the points will be credited properly.
More confusion., More frustration, Fewer people using Tap and Pay.

youthfulgeezer

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
First post here (I'm pretty sure). Have a Galaxy Note 3 on Verizon (running Android 4.4.3). Have tried numerous times to make an NFC payment, with no luck ever. Very frustrating - would love to use this technology, but cant get it to work. I have NFC turned on so that's not the issue. Went to Verizon today - verified NFC by receiving a photo from another Android phone (tap to send). Received the photo with no problem.

I have multiple cards associated with my Google Wallet account (and have one selected as a default) - no luck. At a loss here - anyone have any ideas?

Thanks much in advance

TWC42

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
Check to see if you have Google Wallet selected under "Tap and Pay" inside the NFC menu in Settings.
Would also suggest you try Softcard as well. If Softcard doesn't work, go to Verizon and see if you have the proper SIM

mrwallyy

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
So it seems that your Chase card handles Google Wallet purchases differently than my Amex card
If I go to the details of a Wallet purchase on Amex, it lists the transaction as GOOGNFC*MCDONALDS........
If I look at the details of the transaction, it lists it as GOOGLE WALLET B with the Mountainview CA address
The category is Business Services.
A purchase at ShopRite was handled the same way, Business Services
However, a purchase with Softcard on Amex was listed as Sftcrd MCDONALDS.......
Details showed the actual McDonald's, and the category was Restaurant.
So it seems that the problem of losing points is USING AN AMEX CARD WITH WALLET
Use a different card on Wallet and the points may be credited properly.
Use Amex on Softcard, and the points will be credited properly.
More confusion., More frustration, Fewer people using Tap and Pay.

It could be that it's Amex more than anything else. Contact them to let them know? Maybe if more people bring it to their attention they'll do something about it.

TWC42

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
Bummed out about Softcard. Been getting push notifications from Softcard, and no way to stop. TOS allows push notifications. So I can't control my phone in a way I want (no notifications except emails and texts), then I'll disable Softcard. Done. Deleted Amex from Softcard app, disabled Softcard. Wallet wins by default.

golgo1313

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm having a strange issue. When I try to use Softcard to pay (tried at multiple McDonalds and multiple Subways), it will beep, and on my screen it will say something like "information sent, please confirm with the cashier." But when I ask them, they say no information is coming through. It isn't coming up as declined or anything. Just no info.

I linked my mycoke rewards to get 3 free drinks. That worked, but Softcard NFC payment doesn't seem to work. I haven't tried google wallet. Note 4, T-mo, Walmart prepaid plan. Any thoughts or ideas? I'm quite sure that Softcard is my default NFC payment, as whenever I use google wallet app, it tells me that it isn't the default NFC payment.

larsdennert

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
Put me in the same boat. I have a Razr HD on Verizon and haven't gotten a single NFC transaction to work.
Wallet works fine for buying apps on playstore or online websites.
I have multiple CC registered and one selected for tap and pay.
I turn on the phone screen, hold it near the terminal and the phone buzzes and opens wallet asking for my security pin.
The terminal also asks for a pin (Debit MC transaction?) and I type the same pin in.
Transaction gets rejected. I've gotten the error on the phone to consult the cashier (they are clueless). I've gotten the error that the phone needs to be online (ie to download virtual numbers every 24 hours) but it always has 4G and/or WIFI.

Anyone do things differently? Do you continue to hold the phone near the terminal? Do you leave the pin blank on the terminal? Do you push a credit button on the terminal or something? Do you fling your droid across the store?
Who's had success?
Is there a Secure Element Sim I'm missing possibly?

Last edited: