Why The Note 4

clitrenta

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
I'm trying to decide between the Note 4 and the Note Edge. Taking the money difference out of the equation, how many of you chose the Note 4 over the Edge and why? I seen the Edge in the store the other day and it was definitely tops for coolness factor but I need calmer heads to prevail here. Logical thinking if you will. I know the Edge's battery has a little less capacity and obviously there's that edge but what other factors did you consider? I'm springing for one of these devices next month and trying to do my due diligence. Of course I do realize the Edge just went on sale today but it has been at AT&T stores for people to see.

LaTuFu

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
The only difference between the two is the rounded screen, and a couple of TW tweaks to take advantage of it.

Said a different way, if you buy the edge you are getting a very niche product.

If you plan to get a case, play games, use a lot of third party apps, root and run custom ROMs then the edge is probably not for you.

If the curved edge functionality will help you with a specific area of your life with the stock Samsung apps, and you have no interest in cases, customization, etc. The edge is probably a good choice for you.

clitrenta

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
Well... I don't use cases or customs ROMs and I don't do games that much. I'm more about productivity. Maybe a better question is, what advantage might there be in getting the Edge? I think people tend to concentrate on the disadvantages but is there some unique advantage it might give you besides being overly cool? ;)

jam4775

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
I had the Note 3 then passed that down to my son and chose to get the Note 4 because...

1. Main reason... I always use a case (Otterbox Commuter) and I don't want a phone where I can't protect the side.
2. I don't want to lose screen real-estate for something I don't find very useful. I think the edge display is a cool idea but in practice I just don't think I'll use it much and would be a waste for me.
3. The edge display is only going to be mostly supported by Samsung apps in the beginning and I think it'll take quite awhile for support for more apps. And if this phone doesn't sell well I'm guessing they probably won't continue with a new model next year, and the effort for more developers to make their apps support this feature will most likely stop.

clitrenta

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
I'll probably go with the Note 4 for the reasons stated in your #3. As nice as it is to look at and as much as I am an early adopter, I think this might be the time to just hold back on the edge concept and see how it plays out.

blitz118

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I had the Note 3 then passed that down to my son and chose to get the Note 4 because...

1. Main reason... I always use a case (Otterbox Commuter) and I don't want a phone where I can't protect the side.
2. I don't want to lose screen real-estate for something I don't find very useful. I think the edge display is a cool idea but in practice I just don't think I'll use it much and would be a waste for me.
3. The edge display is only going to be mostly supported by Samsung apps in the beginning and I think it'll take quite awhile for support for more apps. And if this phone doesn't sell well I'm guessing they probably won't continue with a new model next year, and the effort for more developers to make their apps support this feature will most likely stop.

You can place any app on the edge panel so that it not an issue. Samsung is only making one million Edges to be sold worldwide, and I think they will sell what they make. The Edge has all the features on the Note 4 except the a little smaller battery and screen. Other than that the Edge looks so much cooler and you will not see everyone with it.

blitz118

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Well... I don't use cases or customs ROMs and I don't do games that much. I'm more about productivity. Maybe a better question is, what advantage might there be in getting the Edge? I think people tend to concentrate on the disadvantages but is there some unique advantage it might give you besides being overly cool? ;)

You should head over to the Edge forum as users will start receiving their phones, and you can feedback from people with the phone.

Samsung Galaxy Note Edge - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

goin_nil

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
I was considering the Note Edge too. But the lack of info about it, lack of pricing details, lack of release date, cost $100 more, lack of enthusiasm about it or just general lack of discussion in the Note Edge forum here led me to the Note 4.

If it came out at the same time as the Note 4 and also was only $30 to $50 more, I would have a Note Edge.

I started a thread on the Note Edge forum to capture ideas (use cases) for the Edge screen and the group came up with 23 of them. So maybe developers will target it but I doubt many will other than Samsung and maybe a couple other big names like ESPN/CBS (sports scores/news ticker), stock price ticker, and other news organizations (breaking alerts).
http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=434808

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site
One thing that made my mind up to wait on the Edge was lack of promotion. I don't know if Sammy has lack of confidence or if they are just testing the waters. Either way I feel there will be a lack of support compared to the Note 4 which has turned out to be one of the biggest selling phones on their roster. It seems there is a lack of accessories for the Note 4 already. Next year will tell if the Edge is for real. If it is, I am game for one but just too much uncertainty right now. IMHO

jam4775

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
You can place any app on the edge panel so that it not an issue. Samsung is only making one million Edges to be sold worldwide, and I think they will sell what they make. The Edge has all the features on the Note 4 except the a little smaller battery and screen. Other than that the Edge looks so much cooler and you will not see everyone with it.

There are other functions the edge display does too though... like media player controls... I use many other media players other than the stock Samsung player, especially cause the stock one doesn't play a lot of video types, and it would bug me if I got used to the play/pause/track controls of the stock player on the edge and then had to use something else and then not have those controls available on the edge cause of lack of support.

Also, I don't find launching apps from the edge display very useful either... that's what my home screens are for... and it's difficult to do with one hand, even with big hands like mine... But this is all just my opinion, there many other people who will love this feature.

Last edited:

clitrenta

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
One thing that made my mind up to wait on the Edge was lack of promotion. I don't know if Sammy has lack of confidence or if they are just testing the waters. Either way I feel there will be a lack of support compared to the Note 4 which has turned out to be one of the biggest selling phones on their roster. It seems there is a lack of accessories for the Note 4 already. Next year will tell if the Edge is for real. If it is, I am game for one but just too much uncertainty right now. IMHO

Since Samsung is releasing it in limited supply, it would seem they aren't sure either and want to gage how it's received. I think we all have to admit that we just have no idea what to think about it. Still, it definitely makes for an interesting conversation piece.

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
The device looks cool and I am intrigued by the functionality of the curved screen. I am concerned about how I am to hold it while using it. my right palm would always be on the right edge when just using one-handed. And then my fingers curl around that edge when holding the phone in my left hand when using the S-pen with my right hand.

Scribbled from the mighty pen of my Galaxy Note 4!

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
The only difference between the two is the rounded screen, and a couple of TW tweaks to take advantage of it.

Said a different way, if you buy the edge you are getting a very niche product.

If you plan to get a case, play games, use a lot of third party apps, root and run custom ROMs then the edge is probably not for you.

If the curved edge functionality will help you with a specific area of your life with the stock Samsung apps, and you have no interest in cases, customization, etc. The edge is probably a good choice for you.
Plus it takes even longer to get updates I assume like to android 5.0

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
For me, a case is a requirement. I tend to use my devices in harsh environments too often. The edge wouldn't work with a reasonable case.
Plus, it remains to be seen if it is useful. For example, my previous phone was a galaxy S4. Samsung had put all types of different eye tracking features in there to scroll the screen automatically and much more. I never used any of it, it didn't really work that well, and the only feature that made it into the Note 4 was 'smart stay'. And even it doesn't work that well.
Anyway, it remains to be seen if the edge feature sticks. I suspect it won't.