"SD Card Blank" Help!

Chuondroid

Oct 16, 2014
Visit site
Another disappointing issue dealing with this phone. I just downloaded all my music to my SD card last night and some pictures. Tonight I get a message that some of the apps that I previously moved to the external card are not installed even though the icons appear on the main page. So I go and try to move these apps back into the device 's memory and it then tells me that the card is blank.

I then go to settings then storage and scroll down to SD card and it gives me the only portion which is to mount. I press mount then it shows a message that it is blank. This is the third time this has happened and I'm fed up with it. I didn't get a chance to open the SD card.to my computer just yet. But when I do what should I expect to see? . Why is this happening? I searched the Web and couldn't find these exact sequence of events.

My SD card : SanDisk Ultra Xc 1 micro SD 128gb speed 30mb/s

Chuondroid

Oct 16, 2014
Visit site
I have a Mac and used android file transfer to just drag and drop. Songs were playing well for a few hours, then all of a sudden blank.

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Firstly, under KitKat including 4.4.4 on the Note 4 (or any other phone running Android 4) you can't move applications to the SD card no matter what any app claims. This is a Android OS security "feature" by design. This SD card limitation is removed in Android 5 Lollipop.
rcoborn is correct in that the SD card must be FAT32 to work in Android OS and if you simply inserted and mounted the SD card in your phone it is properly formatted and doesn't need to be formatted again under most circumstances.
Because of KitKat's "security feature" one solution to your issue that has worked for some is to uninstall your music player program, and then with the SD card with the physically moved music files on it and mounted, reinstall your music player program. This should cause the player to locate the music files and get the needed permission to read them.
Another means to the same end that has worked for some folks is to remove the music files from the SD card and then download them again directly from the source to the phone without by using a computer to move them.
I am using the same SD card as you that I had in my Note 3 and after mounting in the Note 4 and uninstalling and reinstalling my music player apps on the Note 4, they all could read and play the music files on this SD card.

Chuondroid

Oct 16, 2014
Visit site
When I got home last night I tried to open my SD card in its adapter to my Mac and got a message saying Files can't be recognized by computer or something like that. I got fed up and just threw out the SD card ($70 in the trash). I'm going to look for a Samsung SD card now. Thanks though for your help but I am having little patience with android lately.

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
When I got home last night I tried to open my SD card in its adapter to my Mac and got a message saying Files can't be recognized by computer or something like that. I got fed up and just threw out the SD card ($70 in the trash). I'm going to look for a Samsung SD card now. Thanks though for your help but I am having little patience with android lately.

Anytime you change operating systems there is a learning curve you must embrace. Android compared to iOS is not only completely different, it has a huge amount of customization available, and because there are so many choices available you have to take the time and effort to learn far more information to be successful than with a closed extremely limited choice OS.
To be clear, it isn't a SD card issue, it isn't a particular Android phone issue, it is an Android KitKat OS security issue. An issue that no one running Android KitKat is pleased about. So much so, that Android Lollipop due out soon removes this issue.
Welcome to Android. Welcome the frustration of a steep learning curve. Welcome the great pleasure and freedom you will realize once you embrace the chaos that allows Android OS to do anything and be anything YOU choose..

Chuondroid

Oct 16, 2014
Visit site
Well said, thank you and I do embrace it but after searching and finding that many complaints came from people who have used sandisk with similar problems made me just want to get a different SD card brand.

pinotejhayar

Sep 26, 2015
Visit site
Another disappointing issue dealing with this phone. I just downloaded all my music to my SD card last night and some pictures. Tonight I get a message that some of the apps that I previously moved to the external card are not installed even though the icons appear on the main page. So I go and try to move these apps back into the device 's memory and it then tells me that the card is blank.

I then go to settings then storage and scroll down to SD card and it gives me the only portion which is to mount. I press mount then it shows a message that it is blank. This is the third time this has happened and I'm fed up with it. I didn't get a chance to open the SD card.to my computer just yet. But when I do what should I expect to see? . Why is this happening? I searched the Web and couldn't find these exact sequence of events.

My SD card : SanDisk Ultra Xc 1 micro SD 128gb speed 30mb/s

H3aTeRzz

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Not sure if you tried this....but "sometimes" reseating the card, (take out, put back in) helps with those issues. Might not have, but, I've seen it before. Sorry for your loss!

Phone Off
remove card
boot phone
turn phone off
replace card
reboot phone

:-D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz