Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Qi Charging with Adaptive Charge

Duffin

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
So, I'm fairly new to wireless charging and definitely new to the new Adaptive Charging. Anyone know if a Qi charging pad is even capable of using the Adaptive Charger to its full potential? Normally when I plug in the cable, a notification says it's fast charging, but I got the wireless charging cover today and when I put it on the charging pad (using the same cable and adapter), there is no notification. So, I'm guessing it's not using the adaptive charging?

raptir

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
Re: Qi Charging with Adaptive Charge

No, I don't believe it's possible through wireless charging. Since wireless charging uses induction you end up with a lot more heat generated even at normal charging speeds, I don't think it would be safe for fast charging.

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site

My understanding is that the adaptive fast chargers change the voltage to achieve the higher charge rate. This is something new so its impossible for existing wireless chargers to support it. Whether or not wireless charging standards change to support it is anyone's guess.

ChemMan

May 7, 2013
Visit site

Ok, so wireless charging follows a standard put out by Wireless Power Consortium – creating a standard for wireless charging Much like USB, HDMI or BlueTooth, the attempt is to make something that is cross platform compatible. The standard usually follows a power rate of 5 Watts. Since the formula for Watts is equal to Volts times Amps, That means that any QI standard charging transmitter and receiver should not be more than 1 amp. Most I have seen are rated at 650 milliamps (0.65 Amps) or so. The charging cover may have that current rating marked on it. Texas Instruments appears to have come up with something to operate at 10 Watts and will be backwards compatible with QI. Your adaptive charger operates at 9 volts at 1.67 Amps or 5 volts at 2 Amps. I would be surprised if using your adaptive charger with a QI pad would give you anything but QI standard of 1 Amp. The TI QI article is below.

Industry's first 10-W wireless power solution allows consumers to charge faster and cooler... -- DALLAS, Nov. 19, 2014 /PRNewswire/ --

Hope that helps

donebrasko

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
So, I'm fairly new to wireless charging and definitely new to the new Adaptive Charging. Anyone know if a Qi charging pad is even capable of using the Adaptive Charger to its full potential? Normally when I plug in the cable, a notification says it's fast charging, but I got the wireless charging cover today and when I put it on the charging pad (using the same cable and adapter), there is no notification. So, I'm guessing it's not using the adaptive charging?

Does the wireless charging back plate make the note 4 any bigger?

Posted via the Android Central App

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
I am using the Samsung Qi wireless charging back with the older S4 charging plate which is a 2A output. While it doesn't charge using the Adaptive Fast Charging feature it does charge faster than any other Qi charger I have tried.

Duffin

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
Does the wireless charging back plate make the note 4 any bigger?

It does make the phone a little bit thicker, yeah. It doesn't bother me, personally. It actually helps me grip the phone a little more securely. And the other plus is that the heart rate sensor is kind of indented which makes it easier to find. And the camera lens doesn't stick out either.

bertsirkin

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
You can always purchase a wireless charging transmitter pad and receiver from eBay - they're relatively cheap and don't affect the phone size in any way. I paid about $17 for the pad and receiver and it works great. It uses the same protocol that the official Samsung back does, so charging is no different. The receiver fits between the standard phone back and the battery - it's paper-thin. You can still charge with the USB port with the quick charger or with any standard charger.

Wireless charging is definitely slower than with most USB charging scenarios, but, if you charge overnight, it really doesn't make much difference.

Here are some links: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=note+4+wireless+charging&_from=R40&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR1.TRC0.A0.H0.X%22note+4%22+wireless+charging&_nkw=%22note+4%22+wireless+charging&_sacat=0

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
The wireless charging is probably somewhere around 3-4w,at least it was on my note 3. The adaptive charging is 15w. You can use the adaptive charger but you won't get faster wireless charging

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Tthe Samsung Wireless Charging back cover adds about 0.6mm of thickness to the phone and many hard cases will not fit.

paradox60660

Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Tthe Samsung Wireless Charging back cover adds about 0.6mm of thickness to the phone and many hard cases will not fit.
I just put the Samsung back on and my cases will not fit either. Are there any cases available for the Samsung wireless charging back? Surely there must be one case somewhere!

ChemMan

May 7, 2013
Visit site
If you get the little recharging module I would think most cases would still fit on. I kind of modified my Note 2 case so it was flat. Haven't got my Note 4 charging module but it is stated to be Thickness: 0.6mm(minimum)-1.5mm(maximum)..

Last edited:

bdgriff

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
I got the official Samsung N4 wireless back from best buy today bc the rep said any case would work, got home and changed it out and 3 of my 4 cases won't fit anymore! Taking it back mañana and ordering off ebay

harryhoudini66

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
I got the official Samsung N4 wireless back from best buy today bc the rep said any case would work, got home and changed it out and 3 of my 4 cases won't fit anymore! Taking it back mañana and ordering off ebay

Keep in mind many of those pads will block or affect NFC. For my old S4, I used them without issue but had to find the right one. For the N4, I just went with the S-View Wireless Charging Back.