Do we really need to put a screen protector on the Note 4?

zeuswsu

Feb 6, 2010
Visit site
I went without a protector for about a week. I decided I needed one when mass paranoia set in every time my 2 year old picked up my phone and ran around the house with it. If I didn't have kids I could probably go without screen protection.

In that week a put a tiny scratch in my phone screen so I'm glad I have it protected now.

Yogi217

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
I sold many phones and every buyer always ask if the screen is perfect, they don't care if it has minor/small chips or dents like I had on my Samsung S5.

I just don't buy what Gorilla Glass is selling at the end of the day it's going to get scratched. This is why I always use a screen protector.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk
Still going naked?

What screen protector are you using?

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
I didn't put a screen protector on mine because I didn't think that I would need one. And I haven't.

Nothing but Note! A little rim, some backboard, but mostly Note!

GalaxyOnyxWitch

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
I put a spigen crystal film type (plastic). This way it won't be too thick for any cases I put on. It's not AS nice as bare, but I like the protection offered. Also, if I decide to take it off in a year, the screen will still be like new!

trickz20

Nov 27, 2014
Visit site
I've had the note 4 for about 3 weeks now and there's already a small scratch somehow. It's only really noticeable at certain angles and when the screens off in bright light. Now I baby the hell out of my note 4, my right pocket only has the phone in it and all that, so I'm a bit confused on how this mini scratch came about.

Having said that I recently bought the SuperShieldz Tempered Glass protector for a few bucks and I love it. It's glass, so it feels just like the regular glass and it actually looks good I think. It went on perfectly, no bubble, lint, and no halo. You can barely tell it's on there. Functionality remains the same as does the screens image quality.

Rhiannon10

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
I initially did not have one on because the Zagg Glass that I've used on other phones was out of stock. I try to be extremely careful but I worried the entire time it was unprotected. Finally got one and put it on and a week later dropped my phone face down in the parking lot. Luckily both protector and screen were fine but I'm glad I had the screen protector on!

Posted via my Galaxy Note 4

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
I really do believe that with a protective case that a screen protector may not be necessary. I have always had a case on my phone. But rarely do I keep a screen protector on my phone. And even when I do buy one, it doesn't stay on the phone for long.

doohsun

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
It really depends on the user everyone is different but for personal comfort most people put a screen protector on. You already made a huge investment what's another 10-20 bucks? Most people nowadays are getting the tempered glass extra layer of protection. The good thing about Tempered glass is the prevention of scratches for me. The regular screen protector they scratch like crazy after months of use so you it'll irritate you and you'll be replacing it with another one.

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
It really depends on the user everyone is different but for personal comfort most people put a screen protector on. You already made a huge investment what's another 10-20 bucks? Most people nowadays are getting the tempered glass extra layer of protection. The good thing about Tempered glass is the prevention of scratches for me. The regular screen protector they scratch like crazy after months of use so you it'll irritate you and you'll be replacing it with another one.
I wouldn't say that most people put on a screen protector. And it is a huge investment. But that's why I have insurance on the phone.

doohsun

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
wow you probably have good insurance or they're lying to you most company don't replaced cracked screen due to customer's abuse.

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
wow you probably have good insurance or they're lying to you most company don't replaced cracked screen due to customer's abuse.
What do you think that insurance covers? If I drop my phone and the screen cracks, it's insured. I pay the deductible and get the phone replaced or repaired.

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't say that most people put on a screen protector. And it is a huge investment. But that's why I have insurance on the phone.

Money is one issue, and to me the least important of the two. The other is inconvenience/hassle/disruption of activities, depending on the type of harm the phone suffers, which could be anything from a scratch to catastrophic loss. If you have to send the phone back for repairs, you'll be without it for awhile. Depending on the type of repair, it may also come back wiped and have to be set up again. If you have to get a new one, you'll definitely have to set everything up again. If it happens at an inconvenient time, while, say, you're on a 3 week vacation in Europe, you may be not be playing any MP3s, reading ebooks or getting texts for awhile, until you get home and can take care of it. My phone is an important part of my daily functioning. I'm more willing to leave the house without my wallet than my phone these days.

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
Money is one issue, and to me the least important of the two. The other is inconvenience/hassle/disruption of activities. If you have to send the phone back for repairs, you'll be without it for awhile. Depending on the type of repair, it may also come back wiped and have to be set up again. If you have to get a new one, you'll definitely have to set everything up again. If it happens at an inconvenient time, while, say, you're on a 3 week vacation in Europe, you may be not be playing any MP3s, reading ebooks or getting texts for awhile, until you get home and can take care of it. My phone is an important part of my daily functioning. I'm more likely to leave the house without my wallet than my phone.
Sure. What you say is correct, but I will have to indicate that I have only had to send a phone in for repair once in 7 years and that was with my very first smartphone the AT&T Tilt. And I didn't have a case on that phone. I have always gotten along without a screen protector on my devices. My insurance is mostly if someone steals my phone or I lose it. Screen protector does not assist in either of those scenarios. And I have always sold my phones in pristine condition. Just a case. That works for me. But I do understand if that doesn't work for others.

LaTuFu

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
It's personal preference. Gorilla Glass already is scratch resistant. If you take reasonable precautions to care for your phone, it should be just fine without it.

I've not had a screen protector on my Galaxy devices for a few years now. Never had any issues, and not a problem selling them.

CehowardNote7

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
Like so many knowledgeable posters have stated, a screen protector and even the case, is a personal preference. Also, whatever the preference is, to put one or or not put one on, it will be CORRECT for the that user.

Example, I will not ride my street motorcycle on the street without full gear head to toe, others ride helmetless, shorts and tennis. We all be correct for ourselves.

On my Note 4 and Tab Pro, glass screen protectors and cases were put on as soon as boxes were opened. On day 1. :D

Yogi217

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
Money is one issue, and to me the least important of the two. The other is inconvenience/hassle/disruption of activities, depending on the type of harm the phone suffers, which could be anything from a scratch to catastrophic loss. If you have to send the phone back for repairs, you'll be without it for awhile. Depending on the type of repair, it may also come back wiped and have to be set up again. If you have to get a new one, you'll definitely have to set everything up again. If it happens at an inconvenient time, while, say, you're on a 3 week vacation in Europe, you may be not be playing any MP3s, reading ebooks or getting texts for awhile, until you get home and can take care of it. My phone is an important part of my daily functioning. I'm more willing to leave the house without my wallet than my phone these days.
Yeah, but that could all still happen with a case on.... Cases add some protection, but they aren't full proof. Maybe less likely with a case on, maybe not....

But as everyone has said, to each his/her own. No right or wrong answer.
Sure. What you say is correct, but I will have to indicate that I have only had to send a phone in for repair once in 7 years and that was with my very first smartphone the AT&T Tilt. And I didn't have a case on that phone. I have always gotten along without a screen protector on my devices. My insurance is mostly if someone steals my phone or I lose it. Screen protector does not assist in either of those scenarios. And I have always sold my phones in pristine condition. Just a case. That works for me. But I do understand if that doesn't work for others.

Doc, how is someone going to snatch your Note 4 when you never put it down?