Why isn't my Note 4 syncing?

b2d2

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Note 4 Sync questions

I don't remember having these questions on my Galaxy S3, so I'm not sure if this is a question about the KitKat implementation on my N4 or the TouchWiz interface or the device itself. Anyway...

I seem to be having trouble getting my accounts to regularly sync - all of them, it seems: Google, Facebook and especially LinkedIn, which is really necessary right now since I'm looking for a new job.

Any thoughts or solutions? Or if I just haven't read far enough thru the N4 threads, please post a link to the thread that I need to read.

Thanks a bunch!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Note 4 Sync questions

The first basic question is if your Auto-Sync is turned on. If so, go to Settings>Data Usage, and make sure background data isn't restricted in general, or for any specific app.

If all of that looks good, then open the individual apps and go their respective menus--look for the options for sync interval, and make sure they aren't set to Manual or Never.

b2d2

May 3, 2011
Visit site

Ok, everything seems to be fine there. Though I don't have *unlimited* data, I do spend a lot of time on my home Wi-Fi, so I don't think the 'unlimited' option is going to cost me major $$. I opened FB and LinkedIn and their individual settings are turned on and the sync's for each are fine, so I don't know what else to check. I've checked the Settings menus and they are also fine, but it troubles me that there's no "Apply" or "Save" button.

hummingbirdhill

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site

Ok, everything seems to be fine there. Though I don't have *unlimited* data, I do spend a lot of time on my home Wi-Fi, so I don't think the 'unlimited' option is going to cost me major $$. I opened FB and LinkedIn and their individual settings are turned on and the sync's for each are fine, so I don't know what else to check. I've checked the Settings menus and they are also fine, but it troubles me that there's no "Apply" or "Save" button.

Is your master sync turned on? To get into your top settings area, swipe downwards and check that the SYNC button is on.

b2d2

May 3, 2011
Visit site

THAT button won't stay on and I'm not sure why. Is it not supposed to stay on? Is there some setting that will keep it on?

hummingbirdhill

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site

THAT button won't stay on and I'm not sure why. Is it not supposed to stay on? Is there some setting that will keep it on?

Yes, for my stuff to sync that button must stay on. I don't use linkedin at all and I use fb only on my puters and tablet, so I don't know for certain about those two. All my email accounts stopped auto syncing and I discovered that my master sync button had gone off---not sure how that occurred since I'm the only human who even touches my phone :) But when I touched it, it immediately came on and stayed on and everything synced correctly henceforth. Your prob sounds like a wrong setting somewhere to me. If you fail to get a correction soon, you could message an AC senior staffer, so to speak, for his professional advice :)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Sync should stay on if you turn it on. You're saying the Sync button in the Quick Settings swipedown menu keeps turning off on its own? Go to Settings>Accounts​, tap Menu, and make sure Auto-Sync Data is checked. The location of this option might vary with the device (I have a Nexus 5).

b2d2

May 3, 2011
Visit site

I found the Settings location you mentioned, B Diddy, and on the Note 4, Samsung redid the left hard button to be a 'Task Manager' button instead of settings, but I checked Google and it was turned off. I checked the Master Sync and it was turned off as well. The only thing that happened since I last posted in this thread was the time passed past 10:30 and the Profile Manager that I downloaded and installed, turned on the Night Profile (on weeknights, I'm normally in bed by now, but this is not a normal work day). Hmmm.... interesting.

lterry913

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
Do you have a task manager app? If so it could be killing the sync if not excluded.Or could a recent app you installed be causing trouble.I would un install any recent apps and see if you can get sync to stay on.then ad back apps you want one at a time to make sure none of then are causing the issue. Have you used the profile so before maybe something within that app is causing the problem.