Can anyone help this new Android user with a few questions about the Galaxy Note 4?

nezff

Nov 27, 2014
Visit site
New Galaxy Note 4 user

I am very new to android. I came from a iPhone so some of the things on this phone are definitely different.

First question: Im wanting to try and good battery life, but I noticed that I went 23 hours on one charge. With the screen consuming 47% of that and only being on 5 hours 15 min. Im not sure if that's good or not?

Second question: I see that you can close apps with the left hand bottom button, and also running processes in the settings menu. Problem is, Im not sure what can and cant be closed or stopped? any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I noticed in the messages app that comes on the phone, that when texting people, the bubbles after writing something don't go in order like on the iphone. if a friend texted me, his bubble would be first, then my would go on top of his? Not a big deal, just wondering if that is normal or a setting.

I see a lot of ATT apps, Samsung apps, and other junk also on the phone. I know this is bloatware and removing it requires rooting. Is disabling a good way to make sure these apps don't bother me ever?

thanks in advance to all you guys.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: New Galaxy Note 4 user

Welcome to Android Central! I don't have a Note 4, but I'll see if I can help.

Im wanting to try and good battery life, but I noticed that I went 23 hours on one charge. With the screen consuming 47% of that and only being on 5 hours 15 min. Im not sure if that's good or not?
5+ hours seems about right. Battery life depends on a lot of different factors, including what apps you're running, how strong the cell signal is, how bright you set the screen, etc. See this guide for more info: http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...how-tos/298919-guide-battery-saving-tips.html

I see that you can close apps with the left hand bottom button, and also running processes in the settings menu. Problem is, Im not sure what can and cant be closed or stopped? any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Don't worry too much about stopping apps on your own. Let the system manage it. Android manages your RAM for you, and likes to keep RAM reasonably full, to allow for faster and more efficient app opening and switching. It's not like Windows at all. See these articles for more info:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/ambassador-guides-tips-how-tos/380592-guide-ram-android.html
RAM: What it is, how it's used, and why you shouldn't care | Android Central

I see a lot of ATT apps, Samsung apps, and other junk also on the phone. I know this is bloatware and removing it requires rooting. Is disabling a good way to make sure these apps don't bother me ever?
Yes, disabling a bloatware app will prevent it from opening, and therefore prevent it from using up RAM that could be used for other open apps. Don't worry about the warning that you get when you disable an app--if things start to act funny, you can always re-enable it.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: New Galaxy Note 4 user

Based on your other thread, it sounds like you still have concerns about your battery life. To help us understand better, do the following: Charge up to 100%, then let it drain to 20-30% with normal usage, without charging in between. Then show us:

1. The main Settings>Battery screen.
2. The fullscreen battery graph screen (which shows Awake time and Cell Signal Strength).
3. The Screen category (to see total Screen On time).
4. The Cell Standby category, if present (to see Time Without Signal).

http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...ide-how-post-screenshots-android-central.html