Android Device Manager

DX9

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
Guys, coming from an iPhone and simply enabling Find My iPhone was great since it was integrated and can't be uninstalled and if you lose your phone. You can't turn it off also without your password and also can't Restore your phone in iTunes without turning it off making the phone impossible to use once lost.

I see that there is Android Device Manager but you have to download the app. It's not integrated at all and can simply be uninstalled after. Is there really a point in using that if you lost your phone and forgot to have any type of security on the lockscreen? Maybe I'm missing something in the settings on my Note?

Thanks

sbhatia1981

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
Guys, coming from an iPhone and simply enabling Find My iPhone was great since it was integrated and can't be uninstalled and if you lose your phone. You can't turn it off also without your password and also can't Restore your phone in iTunes without turning it off making the phone impossible to use once lost.

I see that there is Android Device Manager but you have to download the app. It's not integrated at all and can simply be uninstalled after. Is there really a point in using that if you lost your phone and forgot to have any type of security on the lockscreen? Maybe I'm missing something in the settings on my Note?

Thanks

I moved from iPhone too, yeah device manager can be uninstalled, and also samsung has also their built in find my phone which can be tracked, erase etc from their website. with that i hope i will be able to locate if it is lost.

DX9

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
Actually going through everything Device manager is integrated. After uninstalling the App like you can actually do with Find My iPhone I can still locate my device on the website, wipe, lock and ring. Even turning off GPS I can still lock the phone and wipe the device and ring it as well. All good here :)

brothamoveson

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
I have used the device manager a few times never downloaded the app. I just go to the website and was able to do everything I needed including, locking the phone, wiping my sd card, and I actually located my phone and the police retrieved it for me.

Posted from my Note 4 baby.

keyzlife

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Lookout security works great. While it can be uninstalled, if the phone is turned off, has am incorrect password entered, new sim installed, it will take a picture with the front facing camera ping the GPS, and email it to you. It also has the remote wipe, lock and scream features as well. The problem with these phones that differs from the iPhone is the person can just pull the battery and then all bets are off. Experienced thieves will bypass all of it. But for the non-seasoned thief, lookout will most likely do the trick.

sent from my Samsung GALAXY Note® 4

boufa

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Yes, to clarify, Android Device Manger on the Android lets you use the functionality on OTHER phones from your phone. You do not need to have the app on your phone to have someone else (web or another phone with the device manager app) access your phone's location. Android Device Manager app is simply a mobile interface to the features, it is not required to have the app, to have the features installed.

No it's not as controlling or integrated as the iPhone version, but then again, that sums up the entire Andorid Vs IPhone discussion.

SamCarterX302

Sep 8, 2014
Visit site
You know what's strange? I was just looking at Android Device Manager on my browser, and I noticed I have a phone registered to my account (GT-I9100 Samsung Galaxy S2) which is most definitely not mine. I have never owned a Samsung phone before.

It appears to be active- it was registered April 29th, and says it was last online yesterday. Now where in the heck did this phone come from?

Last edited:

MightyMike

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
You know what's strange? I was just looking at Android Device Manager on my browser, and I noticed I have a phone registered to my account (GT-I9100 Samsung Galaxy S2) which is most definitely not mine. I have never owned a Samsung phone before.

It appears to be active- it was registered April 29th, and says it was last online yesterday. Now where in the heck did this phone come from?

How did you look this up? Samsung...Google...on your phone?

Posted via the Next Big Thing, My Galaxy N4

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
ADM is great.
On Samsung's it's enabled by default, but if you uncheck it in Security - Device Administrators you will be out of luck if you need it.
If you have a screen lock and you forget your pin/password (or someone messes with your phone), you can get ADM to Lock it again where you will be prompted to enter a new pin which will work.
It is your phone on your Google account, so logging in with your own account elsewhere gives you access.

Almeuit's guide:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/an...-you-enable-android-device-manager-guide.html

MightyMike

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
ADM is great.
On Samsung's it's enabled by default, but if you uncheck it in Security - Device Administrators you will be out of luck if you need it.
If you have a screen lock and you forget your pin/password (or someone messes with your phone), you can get ADM to Lock it again where you will be prompted to enter a new pin which will work.
It is your phone on your Google account, so logging in with your own account elsewhere gives you access.

Almeuit's guide:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/an...-you-enable-android-device-manager-guide.html

Great info...and Thanks for the link!

NVNJ

May 24, 2010
Visit site
Wow. I never knew that this existed on android! I recently left iPhone and wished that android had something similar to find my iPhone.

Posted via the Android Central App

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I still don't understand why someone else's phone is registered in my ADM.

Posted via the Android Central App
Yeh. That's an odd one. Coincidentally it was on a GT-I9100 I had as a backup that I figured how to unlock with ADM a few months ago. I sold it for a Moto G since but it was showing on my devices until I hid it.

You can't actually remove it but only 'hide' it, which works the same. (it's not mine is it? )

So it's your account and your other Note 4/device is showing too.
I don't know what to tell you!

From my SM-N9005 Note 3 on Tapatalk

Bishop_99

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site

I have the same exact phone, the GT-I9100, registered on my account. I've never owned a Galaxy S2. It was registered on October 14, 2013. I never understood it. The carrier is T-Mobile, but it doesn't have a "Last Used" date. Odd.

MightyMike

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
This was a good thread for me. I learned a lot about protecting our devices and security. I know it's Not everything, but every lil bit helps. Thanks all!

leerandall

Nov 23, 2014
Visit site

You wouldn't perchance have an Android emulator, something like BlueStacks, installed on a PC and configured to download apps from Google Play, would you? What you describe is exactly my situation and it turned out to be caused by BlueStacks installed on my PC. Evidently the emulator is coded to look like a Samsung phone when logged in to Google.