why does this phone do this?????

mayconvert

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
I just got a Note 4 on VZW 2 days ago.
I use the new Google Keyboard because I like it. and this has been an issue on EVERY samsung device I have ever tried and obviously samsung has no plans to fix it, so maybe you guys know how to fix it.

it make me chose the input method OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER....
I have set defaults, I use type, I sometimes type and swipe, but i use voice texting A LOT.
here is it 2 days old and I go in to use voice text, hit the voice button, it lights up, but will not put text in for me.
and of course, at the notification bar, it wants me to chose a default method AGAIN for the 8 millionth time in 2 days.

If this is just a bug on sumsung that can't be fixed. please tell me so I can take this back and get something else.
I am so sick of things not working. It sucks because I basically have droid turbo or iphone 6+ to chose from if this sumsuck can't be fixed to actually work like its supposed to.....

Google messages is buggy, some people get my picture message, some don't. The verizon messages overwrote the samsung default messaging app, so I can't use it. so I am stuck with hangouts i guess even tho I hate hangouts....

ugh. This phone is pissing me off bad enuf to say **** android and get a **** bag iphone. at least most of it works.

FRUSTRATED obviously. sorry for the angry post.....

twolastnames

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
First, be cool.

Second, go to setting- applications - default applications. Should be able to cleat hangouts there. If this does not work, there is a setting in hangouts to shut off sms. Then go to your contact list and send a text message from theee, choose what ever you want as the default when it pops up.

I don't know about Google keyboard specific problems, but...... The choose input method always pops up, that is an android thing, has been for a few versions. Also, the stock keyboard is better imo, for a couple reasons. First, it has handwriting recognition, so you can write with the s-pen, second, the number row is at the top, and third, you can undock it and use it as a floating keyboard. It also uses Google voice recognition, so that would work just as well as the Google keyboard.

Posted via the Android Central App

Android D

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
I just got a Note 4 on VZW 2 days ago.
I use the new Google Keyboard because I like it. and this has been an issue on EVERY samsung device I have ever tried and obviously samsung has no plans to fix it, so maybe you guys know how to fix it.

it make me chose the input method OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER....
I have set defaults, I use type, I sometimes type and swipe, but i use voice texting A LOT.
here is it 2 days old and I go in to use voice text, hit the voice button, it lights up, but will not put text in for me.
and of course, at the notification bar, it wants me to chose a default method AGAIN for the 8 millionth time in 2 days.

If this is just a bug on sumsung that can't be fixed. please tell me so I can take this back and get something else.
I am so sick of things not working. It sucks because I basically have droid turbo or iphone 6+ to chose from if this sumsuck can't be fixed to actually work like its supposed to.....

Google messages is buggy, some people get my picture message, some don't. The verizon messages overwrote the samsung default messaging app, so I can't use it. so I am stuck with hangouts i guess even tho I hate hangouts....

ugh. This phone is pissing me off bad enuf to say **** android and get a **** bag iphone. at least most of it works.

FRUSTRATED obviously. sorry for the angry post.....

Hmm...I can OBVIOUSLY tell your frustration.

I changed my input keyboard to sywpe and have had no issues..And I am on verizon as well.

Try factory resetting your phone...As for the default messaging app, you shogiuld be able to use any app you like...Just turn off the verizon messaging app and you are good to go.

If nothing else works, I think u may have a defective phone so you should either swap it out for a new 1 or get something else!

akutch34

Trusted Member
May 26, 2011
Visit site
We had a thread about this before and some people got out of control. that stupid pop-up in the notifications isn't making you re-choose your default keyboard, it just shows up in case you'd like to temporarily change your input method. As far as we know, there is no way to prevent it from popping up.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
The Google Keyboard is amazing for me. I don't need a dedicated numbers row because long pressing is quick and easy, and it's worth it to keep more screen real estate when the keyboard is up. Also, if I have to have the number row, I can add it. I haven't had any problem with the Google Keyboard and have never enjoyed Samsung stock keyboards.

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
The Google Keyboard is amazing for me. I don't need a dedicated numbers row because long pressing is quick and easy, and it's worth it to keep more screen real estate when the keyboard is up. Also, if I have to have the number row, I can add it. I haven't had any problem with the Google Keyboard and have never enjoyed Samsung stock keyboards.

Just kidding I'm an *****

FBA

Banned
Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
I do not have this issue at all. I can select a keyboard while typing by using the pull down notification bar, but there are no nag screens. I didn't have the issue on my Note 3 either. I use the SamDung and CrapKey keyboard...no issues such as you've described.

TeritorialDemon

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
I have been reading a lot of problems associated with the Note 4. Maybe I should stay away. I tried the S3, S4, and the S5 and got nothing but major problems with all of them. I returned them a number of times and still had problems. I think I'll pass on the Note 4.

LaTuFu

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
I have been reading a lot of problems associated with the Note 4. Maybe I should stay away. I tried the S3, S4, and the S5 and got nothing but major problems with all of them. I returned them a number of times and still had problems. I think I'll pass on the Note 4.

I think you are looking for reasons not to get a phone. No one is reporting major issues with the Note 4.

Are there individuals that have received defective devices? No question. In the world of mass produced electronics, this is a reality for all manufacturers.

Are there individuals who are having issues with their devices because of a combination of carrier issues and/or user setup? Absolutely. The vast majority of issues occuring with these devices are a result of user error. That is no different than any other electronic device. 50-80% of the tickets IT professionals work on every day are the result of user error, not device failure.

There are certainly other users somewhere in between those extremes, but they do not constitute a significant percentage of the user base.

The beauty of the electronics market is that there is a device for everyone. It sounds like the Galaxy series hasn't worked out for you. It sounds like you weren't patient enough to learn how to use the devices properly, or were expecting them to be something completely different. Hard to say without knowing more details. Given the overwhelming success in the marketplace, the consistently overall positive reviews and user feedbacks in forums, and the number of loyal fans of the devices you specifically mentioned, I would have to start with the user error side of the equation and rule that out before moving on to blaming the devices.

I am certainly not saying you have to get a Note 4. You need to get the device that makes you happy. But you are not going to come across as someone with much credibility if you blame the Note 4 for "issues" as your reason for not buying it.

Good luck with your decision, and I hope you enjoy the device you ultimately select!

nugj

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
I think reviews, especially the professional reviews can for some, create unrealistic expectations for this generation of electronic devices....particularly mobile devices. None of the top electronics companies are godlike although the reviews could lead the naive to believe that and then be disappointed when it turns out not to be true. Within the upper echelon of manufactures of which Samsung is clearly one, you could not fit a sliver the depth of a sheet of paper between them for their quality control standards. They have all gone to the same school of design and manufacturing standards, all have the assets to exercise controls the way they want to exercise them and all manufacture in cost effective manufacturing environments with all their benefits and foibles. Sometimes the number of features added to a particular device also has an additive effect to its defect rate but again, stay within the same category of product across the upper echelon of manufactures and the differences in defect rates are paper thin. If you depart from that upper echelon then you are likely to run into higher defect rates and more issues but your price will likely be lower as well.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

I read comments like this and I wonder what planet i'm living on because I sure haven't seen much of any of these reports. I've also seen countless times when someone returns flagship devices "a number of times" especially 3-4 completely different flagships spanning 3-4 years. it's when someone is looking for problems and ends up creating a problem out of thin air like: "The camera is off center under the glass" or some other such nonsense.

I myself have had a few odd issues with lag on the Note 4, but i've easily made a few settings/app changes and solved almost all of the lag. Aside from that, i'm not aware of any real problems with the Note 4. I know people tried to fabricate some gap issue but my understanding was that issue is vastly resolved on the actual release date models and those following. I certainly haven't seen anything online from any credible source saying the Note 4 has a lot or even a few minor issues. I'm not saying it's perfect, but you have to dig pretty deep to get any website or reviewer that hasn't given it 4/5 or 4.5/5 stars.

bdgriff

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but just so I am straight are you saying you get a pop up like a nag screen about choosing an input method or are you referring to the notification in the pull down menu on the home screen?? Bc if that's the case, like others have pointed out, that's just the default way it is....Nothing to go or can do unless you're rooted and use exposed I blv

21stNow

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
I read through the entire thread to try to figure out what this thread was about and still can't come to a conclusion. Once I selected my input method (the Swype keyboard), I haven't seen the option to choose my input method again. The only way that I will see it is if I download a new keyboard or manually go through the phone's Settings menu.

akutch34

Trusted Member
May 26, 2011
Visit site
Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but just so I am straight are you saying you get a pop up like a nag screen about choosing an input method or are you referring to the notification in the pull down menu on the home screen?? Bc if that's the case, like others have pointed out, that's just the default way it is....Nothing to go or can do unless you're rooted and use exposed I blv

This is the problem

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
phone user