guys...help!!! red line on battery status

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
What is this red line? Worries me :l
Just guessing, because I never let my batteries get that discharged, but probably an indication that the battery dropped to below 15%. (Which should worry you, because, unless that happens only very rarely, you're killing the battery. Try to charge it when it reaches no lower than 40%.)

godzillinois

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Just guessing, because I never let my batteries get that discharged, but probably an indication that the battery dropped to below 15%. (Which should worry you, because, unless that happens only very rarely, you're killing the battery. Try to charge it when it reaches no lower than 40%.)

Do you have anything that says that's bad for these batteries? I've always heard the more you charge a battery the less it lasts in the long run

Trigati

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site

Yeah, that's the first time I've ever heard that. I'd like some source stating that discharging the battery is 'killing it'.

LaTuFu

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
The 40% number he's using is somewhat arbitrary, but his point is accurate.

If you can avoid discharging the battery all the way down between charges, it will prolong the service life of the battery.

Lithium ion batteries in smartphones don't have a "memory" like other chemistries did. So you do not need to do any kind of break in (full charge/discharge cycle).

If you want to prolong service life, try not to discharge too low whenever possible.

Here's a link http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries to an article about it.

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
'Kill it' isn't really the correct term. But full cycles do 'wear out' the battery.

Charger early, charge often.

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
What's the difference?

When you run it fully to 0% and leave it there, there is a risk that the battery safety system will turn on, and the battery will be totally useless. That would be killing it. (lithium batteries require a number of safeties or they literally explode)
On the other hand, if you constantly do full charge and discharge cycles, the battery capacity will eventually become smaller and smaller. So instead of getting 20 hours from the battery, you only get 10 hours, because you are wearing it out.

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site
When you run it fully to 0% and leave it there, there is a risk that the battery safety system will turn on, and the battery will be totally useless. That would be killing it. (lithium batteries require a number of safeties or they literally explode)
On the other hand, if you constantly do full charge and discharge cycles, the battery capacity will eventually become smaller and smaller. So instead of getting 20 hours from the battery, you only get 10 hours, because you are wearing it out.

Ahhhhh i see what you are saying.

Posted via the Android Central App

godzillinois

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
So can we get a definitive consensus from the forum about this? Specifically in the case of the Note 4-Does waiting until the battery is low to charge wear down the battery life faster, or does charging early and often do it? What is best?

Just for the sake of testing my battery, I've been wearing my battery down to 10-30% before I charge it again to 100%

vasekvi

May 5, 2013
Visit site
So can we get a definitive consensus from the forum about this? Specifically in the case of the Note 4-Does waiting until the battery is low to charge wear down the battery life faster, or does charging early and often do it? What is best?

Just for the sake of testing my battery, I've been wearing my battery down to 10-30% before I charge it again to 100%
You're fine recharging at 10-30%. Just keep doing your thing.

Sent from my Samsung GALAXY Note Edge on AT&T

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site

Its best to avoid large depth of discharge (DoD) if you want to prolong the battery life. I have a post just for this http://forums.androidcentral.com/go...w-realy-really-prolong-your-battery-life.html . In short, (30-80%) is probably the best.

But again, Note 4's battery is replaceable, so even if it were to lose too much capacity in 12 months, you can simply get a new one. Charge however you want.

godzillinois

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Excellent post, thanks! I'm all for charging often and early if it doesn't hurt the battery, but it's even better if it actually helps prolong battery life! I got a Verizon fast charger for my car that I've been neglecting during my battery life tests.

On a side note, I'm going to download an app and check tonight when I'm home - but does anyone know offhand if the fast-charging feature raises the battery temperature? Although even if it does, the convenience of leaving that on outweighs the loss of battery capacity to me. Hopefully if I ever do need to replace my Note 4 battery it will be when the price has dropped.

vasekvi

May 5, 2013
Visit site
On another "note" having a spare battery splits the wear and tear between two batteries. By the time you're ready for a new phone you won't even notice the diminished capacity

Sent from my Samsung GALAXY Note Edge on AT&T

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
does anyone know offhand if the fast-charging feature raises the battery temperature? Although even if it does, the convenience of leaving that on outweighs the loss of battery capacity

It has to raise the temperature, ohms/watts law and all that. As the battery ages and the internal resistance goes up, it will only get worse.
But if you need it, use it, that is why you have it.
The Samsung spare battery with charging tray is only about $25 if you find a discount code. Very handy and not too expensive at all.

LaTuFu

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
It has to raise the temperature, ohms/watts law and all that. As the battery ages and the internal resistance goes up, it will only get worse.
But if you need it, use it, that is why you have it.
The Samsung spare battery with charging tray is only about $25 if you find a discount code. Very handy and not too expensive at all.

I agree, by definition it is going to increase temp. Whether or not the temp increase is high enough to matter...academic debate really--especially with the battery being replaceable.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheOzarks