Why are most of my videos and photos showing up grey (Samsung Note 4)?

Ken Clements

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
Samsung Note 4 CAMERA ISSUE .. GREY

After recording a long video (20min) on slow motion (fireworks), i have had no end of grief... Now I am unable to take video or photos. Most of them show up as 'grey'.

I have tried cold - booting the phone, clearing cache and all data, resetting the phone to factory, reformatted the SD card and changed the default location to 'internal' just in-case it was an SD card issue.... to no avail.

Ofcourse Samsung Support offered little help, apart from 'reset it to factory'.

UPDATE:
My gut feeling tells me it has something to do with how KitKat 4.4.4 is handling/managing the SD card.... just noticed that 'formatting' the SD actually does nothing.

I'm still thinking the FAT (of the microSD) has been corrupted due to the file size of the video. Just got to format it outside of the phone, since attempting to format it using the Phone's format doesn't seem to work. I did set the camera storage location to 'internal' but that made no difference....... so I am guessing now its possibly isn't the MicroSD card..... UPDATE: Actually i take that back.. camera seems to have settled down and working fine now that i have switched to 'internal storage'. Will keep an eye on it....

I'd be interested to know if anyone has recorded a slow-motion video (20-30min) on 1/8th to external microSD card and had issues.... anyone care to repeat/test this?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-12-07-10-29-54.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-12-07-10-29-54.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:

Seremedy

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
Re: Samsung Note 4 CAMERA ISSUE .. GREY

That is odd. I have no idea what is wrong.

Posted via Samsung Galaxy Note 4

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Are you using the stock camera? Try viewing them in the stock gallery app

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4

LaTuFu

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site

What kind of SD card do you have? How old is it? How many other phones have you used it in before the Note 4?

ronb

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site

Someone suggested taking all data off the card and letting the phone format it and then put it all back.
If your card is older, perhaps a new one is in order as well.
Good Luck!
Ron

Ken Clements

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site

Phone is 1 month old, so is the MicroSD card... 64Gb Sandisk Class10. Have tried formatting the card on the phone, but appears not to format it.

Ken Clements

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site

Brand new Sandisk 64Gb Class10 memory card. Not used in any other device or phone. Has been in there working fine since i had the phone (1 month).

MightyMike

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site

Brand new Sandisk 64Gb Class10 memory card. Not used in any other device or phone. Has been in there working fine since i had the phone (1 month).

Just curious...Where did you get it...Amazon?

Sent via the Next Big Thing, My Galaxy N4

ronb

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site

If you have another one SD Card, I would try that. There have been reports of some SanDisk cards not working just right. If you have to buy one, I would suggest a Samsung brand.
Good Luck!

mrstruegemini

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site

I am on the phone with AT&T as I type this. I am having the same problem. I have eve. Tried exchanging for a brand new phone. I orginally called AT&T last week and they are doing a follow up call today where they called me. I'm so annoyed I lost wedding photos and videos that I can never get back. If they find anything that works I will post it here :(

Posted via the Android Central App

mrstruegemini

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site

I also think it's a kit Kat problem which is what I also told AT&T report. He said they are documenting it and looking for a fix. He is reporting the issue.

Ken Clements

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
I got mine working again.. i did a few things, so not sure which one fixed it.
I tried formatting, however, seemed to do nothing with the microSD card (64Gb Sandisk.. which may be an issue in itself or related).
If you use the file manager (MY Files) and browse into the SD card to DCIM->Camera, there was/is a file called temp_video ... i deleted it. Then i changed the storage location to INTERNAL.... and now it seems to work. Its still working fine now with internal storage... i will switch back to External MicroSD later and see if it works then too.... I haven't heard back from the Samsung technicians .. yet....

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Thanks for the update

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4

mrmoe110

Oct 20, 2009
Visit site

This is the sd card becoming disconnected or unreadable. It's a known issue with Galaxy devices. From what I've read using a newer Samsung sd card should be the solution. I was having the same problem with my Kingston sd card multiple times a day. Yesterday I switched to a Samsung card and it hasn't done it again.

Ken Clements

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site

This is the sd card becoming disconnected or unreadable. It's a known issue with Galaxy devices. From what I've read using a newer Samsung sd card should be the solution. I was having the same problem with my Kingston sd card multiple times a day. Yesterday I switched to a Samsung card and it hasn't done it again.

I didn't have any problems prior to recording a slow motion video (which would have been a huge file).. are you sure its not just because you switched cards?

ansa82

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site

Actually that is exactly what happened when my sd card was going bad with my old note 3. A few pics grey then more till one day it gave me a message about the sd card.