First time rooted, cannot download updates?

yo0123yoyo

Oct 18, 2014
Visit site
So as the title says, since this is my first ever rooted phone and once I heard a lot of people on here talking about an official update on this phone, I tried to download it and I keep getting this error message. Am I just going to not be able to update because I am rooted? Here's the error I keep getting when attempting to update.

Attachments

• 1418320467366.jpg
    1418320467366.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 34

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
If you want the official OTA then you would probably have to unroot. But keep in mind that the new software might not have root exploit yet. Or you can wait for an aftermarket rom that incorporates the OTA.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4

BrockS.

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Rooted devices cannot install updates via OTA, you have to use Kies. However, only do this if you wish to lose root. I would jump over to XDA to find out if the update is rootable before flashing it.

posted from an undisclosed device

UniQue WerkX

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
I haven't seen any updates worth loosing root over.... will probably root mine too, especially after that last "update" included DT Ignite! :/

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

yo0123yoyo

Oct 18, 2014
Visit site
Rooted devices cannot install updates via OTA, you have to use Kies. However, only do this if you wish to lose root. I would jump over to XDA to find out if the update is rootable before flashing it.

posted from an undisclosed device

Hmm ok I didn't know this prior to rooting. Does this means when Android Lollipop 5.0 is released that rooted phones will not be able to install it? Is it guaranteed that I will lose root anytime I do an update? Thanks so much!

LaTuFu

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
It sounds like you needed to do a lot more research and studying on what Rooting is and what it entails before trying it out on a brand new $800 device.

Yes, any time you go back to a factory/stock software load, you will be unrooted again. Assuming you're able to load the factory OS.

You won't be able to download and install the OTA release of Lollipop for your device from your carrier with a rooted phone. You'll have to wait for someone to release a rooted ROM with Lollipop on it.

You might want to spend some time over at the XDA forums reading up on the rooting process and what it entails.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12