Camera quality is absolutely horrendous. Am I doing something wrong?

Paige Palmer2

Dec 10, 2014
Visit site
Sounds ridiculous, but I feel like for a phone that is $300 on upgrade, SURELY the quality of a photo should be better than this? I get low light won't always produce a good picture--But I don't consider my kitchen low light at all. My GS4 (and GS3 for that matter) took better photos than this. The rest of the phone is SO nice! I'm so disappointed. Having two young kids, the camera is the first thing I look for in a phone. Well, aside from battery life... Boo. Anyone able to help me out? I recorded a video of my daughter singing the ABCs and the quality was deplorable.

Last edited by a moderator:

nugj

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
How about stills. I can't say that I have done much with video. But still seems to be pretty good for me.

Jdane07

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
The Note 4 has one of the best cameras on a phone. Maybe a defective unit.

Posted via the Android Central App

iGalione

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Do you mind snapping a photo and posting it or even recording a new video and posting it to show the quality you're getting?

What are your settings, did you remove the plastic from the around the lens (that shouldn't matter, but...) or make sure it did not shift down covering the lens.

Recording mode, type, front camera, rear camera?

Live life, love life, excel life...

N1 . N2 .. N3 ... N4 #ILE
#ILoveEvolution

sqa4life

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
The Note 4 has one of the best cameras on a phone. Maybe a defective unit.

Face the truth, we have two note 4's and 1 iphone 6 plus in the house and we all agreed the iPhone camera is better than the note 4, regardless the note 4 documented double the mega pixel of the iPhone.
I've used the note series from 1-4.

TheDonJ77

May 13, 2011
Visit site
Face the truth, we have two note 4's and 1 iphone 6 plus in the house and we all agreed the iPhone camera is better than the note 4, regardless the note 4 documented double the mega pixel of the iPhone.
I've used the note series from 1-4.
BS, I have done numerous side by side comparisons with friends who have IP6+ units and the N4 takes the better shots with no adjustments, just simple point and shoot.

Sent from not just an oversized phone but my Samsung Galaxy Note 4

saiyyasuka pon

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
My experience with samsung phone, from s2, note 1, note 2, note 3, s5, and now i 'm using note 4, and what i can say that, note 4 camera have better pic at low lite or dim lite from all samsung phone that i'm use...

dafuse

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
I think the GN4 has the best camera I've tried on a smartphone. Do you have the optical image stabilization turned on for the low light shots? Also, in low light, if the subject is moving, nothing short of a pro camera will give you perfect results. You need to match your expectations with the capabilities of (any) smartphone camera

Jdane07

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Hah. How much were you paid to post this lie?

Lol, well let's see. I posted that from my Moto X while my iPhone 6 and Note 4 sit in my drawer, so chances are nothing...

It is definitely one of the better cameras I've used, and I go through a TON of phones.

Fluffyman

Sep 11, 2014
Visit site
Samsung just isn't able to build a camera that delivers sharp and crisp photos, unlike Apple.

iPhone camera crushes the android competition, thats the only reason why I'm a bit jealous at iPhones.

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
I think the pictures taken by my Note 4 are better than the pictures with my 6 plus. You do have to download extra shooting modes. But once I understood what I was doing, everything turned out good.

Note in my house!

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Samsung just isn't able to build a camera that delivers sharp and crisp photos, unlike Apple.

iPhone camera crushes the android competition, thats the only reason why I'm a bit jealous at iPhones.

There is no disputing the camera on the iphone 6 plus is great or rather the processing, but the 6 is lacking iOS so thus will be effected.

So we are talking about the 6 plus vs Note 4 and its not a hammering but yes its been reviewed as the 6 plus takes it.

But wait this WILL depend on the user to an extent obviously. Point n shoot the Note 4 has surprised me in lowlight, I have a 3 year old that won't stay still and have managed to get keepers.

So in my mind it depends on varying factors, I'm no photography expert (know very little). What I do know while the 6 plus may produce sharper images, the note 4 is far from a shoddy camera and I am more than happy with the results "I" get.

LaTuFu

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
The Note 4 camera isn't perfect, it definitely struggles with low light motion shots compared to the iPhone 6+. But in all other aspects, the camera is excellent and in many ways way ahead of it's peers.

I have to concede the issue with the low light motion, however.

LaTuFu

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
Sounds ridiculous, but I feel like for a phone that is $300 on upgrade, SURELY the quality of a photo should be better than this? I get low light won't always produce a good picture--But I don't consider my kitchen low light at all. My GS4 (and GS3 for that matter) took better photos than this. The rest of the phone is SO nice! I'm so disappointed. Having two young kids, the camera is the first thing I look for in a phone. Well, aside from battery life... Boo. Anyone able to help me out? I recorded a video of my daughter singing the ABCs and the quality was deplorable.
Any environment indoors is generally going to be considered a low light environment, unless you have a lot of sunlight from skylights or large windows.

Fluffyman

Sep 11, 2014
Visit site
There is no disputing the camera on the iphone 6 plus is great or rather the processing, but the 6 is lacking iOS so thus will be effected.

So we are talking about the 6 plus vs Note 4 and its not a hammering but yes its been reviewed as the 6 plus takes it.

But wait this WILL depend on the user to an extent obviously. Point n shoot the Note 4 has surprised me in lowlight, I have a 3 year old that won't stay still and have managed to get keepers.

So in my mind it depends on varying factors, I'm no photography expert (know very little). What I do know while the 6 plus may produce sharper images, the note 4 is far from a shoddy camera and I am more than happy with the results "I" get.

The regular iPhone 6 delivers much sharper images too. The Note 4 you need to hold perfectly still (I need both hands for that) to get a really clear photo, the iPhone 6 you can just pull out of your pocket and take a quick sharp picture without needing to think about it.
Don't be fooled by the lack of OIS on the small iPhone 6.

Its such a shame.

NVNJ

May 24, 2010
Visit site
I'd really like to see people post some pics of their motion shots without blur. Please.

leerandall

Nov 23, 2014
Visit site
I think the GN4 has the best camera I've tried on a smartphone. Do you have the optical image stabilization turned on for the low light shots? Also, in low light, if the subject is moving, nothing short of a pro camera will give you perfect results. You need to match your expectations with the capabilities of (any) smartphone camera

On my Verizon Note 4, you can only turn on/off optical image stabilization for video. There is no option to control it for stills, at least none that I can find.