Why can't I SMS on my Note 4?

ingridn

Dec 18, 2014
Visit site
I can't send or receive SMS messages on my Note 4. If I include myself on the message thread, messaging will switch to an MMS, which will work (but not consistently). I have run a diagnostic on my network connections, per Sprint's suggestions. I have also installed Textra, with the same result. Help!

Last edited:

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Bring the phone into a Sprint store (and hope that there's someone there who knows more about cellphones than how to write up a contract) and ask them what's wrong with the phone. It's under warranty, so if it's a problem with the phone they have to fix or replace it. (Make sure anything you don't want to lose is backed up to another device.)

slackerjack

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Did you come from an iPhone? Did you unlink your phone number from iMessage?

Posted by my Note 4, or Nexus 9...****, maybe by a Note 2014 ed. or hell...maybe it was this Nexus 4 or 5...oh, snap...there's Nexus 7. okay, I need to clean...

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Did you come from an iPhone? Did you unlink your phone number from iMessage?

Posted by my Note 4, or Nexus 9...****, maybe by a Note 2014 ed. or hell...maybe it was this Nexus 4 or 5...oh, snap...there's Nexus 7. okay, I need to clean...

This is a good question. If you did and didn't unlink it could be causing the issue.

ingridn

Dec 18, 2014
Visit site
I did install the SD card from my old Galaxy SII, do you think that could be my issue? (it doesn't seem to be, but I'm willing to try anything at this point)

ronb

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
Test the SD card by removing it and seeing if that fixes your problem.
If it does then either remove all data and format the card in the phone and replace data, OR purchase a new card and format in the phone and replace the data.
Good Luck and let us know!
Ron

thebear

May 31, 2011
Visit site
In textra there is an option to use MMS for group chats. Make sure this is unchecked and it should use sms. I toggle this option depending on how I want to text multiple people. Works great for me.

399fcfe20d60b8b1b26fca78167ad163.jpg

Last edited:

Trigati

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
before taking in the phone for a new sim card, try this.

First, turn Wi-Fi off. Go to settings>system updates>update profile. After this is complete, dial ##72786#. The phone will reboot.

See if that fixes things with your SMS. It may not. But, I was having a problem where I was only on 3G even where 4G was available and after doing the above process, 4G works perfectly once again, so it seems to fix weird connection issues attached the phone number.

teeitupmo#WN

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Ingrid... You are beautiful! :)

Try typing this from the dialer:
##72786#

This re-initializes your Sprint Network and device registration to the network.

punkdixie

Sep 2, 2012
Visit site
Look at your message center number. This number should not be your phone number. You well have to call Sprint to find out what it is our look it up. Also did you get a new phone number with your note 4 if you did go deregister your number with Apple just in case the person who had the number b4 you may have had an iPhone and had it registered. Hope this helps.

_YoKolorMeBadd

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
Look at your message center number. This number should not be your phone number. You well have to call Sprint to find out what it is our look it up. Also did you get a new phone number with your note 4 if you did go deregister your number with Apple just in case the person who had the number b4 you may have had an iPhone and had it registered. Hope this helps.

She said she never had a iPhone so how can she deregister it from Apple? U can't deregister it if you don't have the correct Apple ID/Password, even if she calls Apple they'll still ask for a ID and password that the original person had for the number. It just doesn't work like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

punkdixie

Sep 2, 2012
Visit site
Ah if it was a new number she got the number could have been used b4 with an iPhone and can be deregistered. I work for tech support and this happens on the regular.

«Pun|<_D¡x¡€»

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs