srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site

smoothrunnings

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
Re: RAW photo format finding it's way into Android

I don't think mobile phones will replace DSLR's anytime soon. However, its' good to see how fast mobile phone cameras are starting to improve.

I wouldn't be so sure if I where you. Because of the cell phone manufactures have started to introduce the RAW file format as an option to their cameras. I don't remember which manufacture but I do remember seeing Fro Knows Photo mentioning it a in November or early December.

Bosbouer

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site

I wouldn't be so sure if I where you. Because of the cell phone manufactures have started to introduce the RAW file format as an option to their cameras. I don't remember which manufacture but I do remember seeing Fro Knows Photo mentioning it a in November or early December.

That (introducing raw format) would just be another reason not to use the camera in a cellphone. Think of the size of a raw shot of a group of people in bright and varied clothing.

smoothrunnings

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site

That (introducing raw format) would just be another reason not to use the camera in a cellphone. Think of the size of a raw shot of a group of people in bright and varied clothing.

Why are you so worried about the file size? My phone has a 64GB MicroSD card, my D600 a 24MP full-frame camera has two 32GB SDXC cards in it that gives me about 1600 RAW shots at 14bit. So yeah, I don't see your point.

Bosbouer

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site

And it is so much easier to swap the card out in the dslr.

smoothrunnings

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site

And it is so much easier to swap the card out in the dslr.

Wow do you enjoy trolling? Because I bet you do!!

MicroSD cards go up to 128GB now, if you really need to used take 1600+ pictures in a day then bring your DSLR with you. At this point in time cell phone camera's replace the point and shoot camera's, though it still would be nice to be able to save the images in RAW on the Note 4 or future Samsung Galaxy Note's. Because there will always be a moment where pulling out your DSLR and having to set it up in M, A, or S mode will take so long that you will have missed the opportunity.

Good luck, and please troll elsewhere! :)

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site

The best thing about phone cameras is that they're nearly always with you. ...and that's a reality that is hard to beat. Therefore, having a high quality shooter with easily accessed flexibility remains important.

from the IV✒

sparksd

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site

The best thing about phone cameras is that they're nearly always with you. ...and that's a reality that is hard to beat. Therefore, having a high quality shooter with easily accessed flexibility remains important.

from the IV✒

Exactly. My N4 will never match or replace my Canon DSLR & high-end lenses but I don't carry that gear with me at all times to catch that random shot I'd like to get. This is one of the reasons I got the N4.

bertsirkin

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site

I would love to see Samsung make this feature available on the Note 4 or future Note devices for that matter. It would certainly start to put my Nikon D600 to shame. :)

Android Camera Advantage Over iPhone - Business Insider

Having a RAW image available on a cell phone is actually pretty useless. First, RAW images are extremely useful on a full-frame or APS-C DSLR, but as the sensor size gets smaller, the RAW image becomes less useful, as the pixels are SO small, that there isn't a lot of quality data available. Plus, most people would be taking RAW images with their phone (with no post processing), expecting them to be better than the JPEGs - similar to what's happening now with the Note 4 and people shooting EVERYTHING in HDR mode. RAW images on cell phones will just be a marketing campaign, and won't provide anything useful.

If you even vaguely think that the Note 4 phone, or any other smart phone, can take images even CLOSE to the quality of a D600, than you're doing it wrong!

Rally Android

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Very few camera phones would benefit having a RAW option. The only recent one I can think of for the Android camp is the Panasonic CM1. That has a Sony made 1" sensor. Another that might see some benefit would Sony's Z phones, those have a larger then normal phone sensor, a 1/2.3 I believe.

KreepyKen

Just a cool guy
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site

The best camera is the one you have with you at the time.

I know phone cameras won't replace DSLRs...can't pack those optics in a phone. But I'm all for any improvements they can make in phone cameras.

bertsirkin

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site

The best camera is the one you have with you at the time.

I know phone cameras won't replace DSLRs...can't pack those optics in a phone. But I'm all for any improvements they can make in phone cameras.

The only thing that can be done to improve phone cameras is to increase the sensor size - something unlikely to happen, as 10" tablets don't even have larger sensors - and larger sensors mean THICKER phones! RAW isn't something that will improve camera phone image quality. Post-processing is be required for RAW images, and a camera-phone RAW file that's post-processed won't be any different than a camera phone JPEG that's been post processed.

dcstuntman

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
I strongly disagree that RAW is useless on a cellphone. Or that post-processing would produce same results as .jpg.

Less useful than dSLR? Yes, even certainly... you are likely starting with more information/better pixels. Yet you could say RAW is useless on my 9 year old Canon Rebel XT... compared to newer cameras.

My argument stems from this: We can all agree the cameras capture RAW images already, right? But who is making the decision on how this image is processed? Who chooses the WB, saturation, tone, and compression? Currently, the phone's camera. It takes the raw image data does its "magic" or lack thereof, and gives you a rendered image... throwing away the bits it says you didn't need.

Oh, all your images have a strong bluish cast due to poor WB choice?... it went heavy handed in noise reduction? You can edit to some extent... but with the actual data having been thrown away there is only so much you can do. With RAW, that data is preserved for me to do as I wish. Maybe I want the same image processed radically different ways... having RAW lets me do that with the best quality for each rendering of the image.

Just because the starting point for my phone was so much lower than my dSLR doesn't mean I want whatever information WAS captured thrown away too. It's like saying a photo-copy isn't pristine anyway so why bother copying from the source document... why not just use a copy of a copy of a copy? <Answer: Because using the original source results in better output.>

I think saying its useless because it won't replace dSLR, or that "normals" won't know how to use it is a specious argument. I think we all know dSLR will typically take better pictures produce better images. But as stated previously its the camera you have with you... and I want the opportunity to extract the best that I can from what I've got.

As for the "normals"? I don't think its on by default (just as it isn't on most dSLRs.) So if they don't want burdened by extra storage space or hassle of processing RAW, they'll never see it.

Back to original question, though. Has anyone heard if Samsung, HTC, Motorola, etc will allow RAW capture (even with 3rd party camera apps?) For example, on Samsung HDR mode doesn't work in the Google Camera app.

Last edited: