I have some questions for note 4 owners

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
So I'm going to be giving my brother my HTC one m8 that I'm using now and I'm going to be able to use his upgrade. I was looking at what's available and it seems like the best options on art right now are the note 4 and Moto X. I'm really leaning towards the note 4 because it looks like it outclasses the Moro x in just about everything. From battery life, performance, screen quality, and so on. However, the part I'm most nervous about out s software. I like stock android a lot epspeacily with material design. And touchwiz is rather different and paves over a lot of the material design elements, no? Is touchwiz really bad? Is it worth getting something else instead of Samsung?

Also, how good are Samsung with carreir OS updates? Are they slow to roll out

macdarwin

May 20, 2014
Visit site
I like stock android a lot epspeacily with material design. And touchwiz is rather different and paves over a lot of the material design elements

You already answered your own question. You will be happy with the Nexus 6.

You will get annoyed about the occasionally lag on the Note 4 specially coming from M8.

Jadien

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
I'm with th OP on liking a simpler, more pure form of Android. That being said, I think I'm going to get the Note 4 tomorrow. With the extra software enhancements (s-pen functions, split windows, etc) in TW, I think I can put up with the ugliness.

That being said, I think there is definitely some Nova in my future.

Posted via Android Central App

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site
Touch wiz is not a problem any more. Most of the ppl still saying they don't like it, are ppl who got a bad taste for it and never could give it another shot. There is no lag, no delays to speak of. I downloaded nova but never really use it.

Posted via the Android Central App

Haunted_FC

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
I'm with th OP on liking a simpler, more pure form of Android. That being said, I think I'm going to get the Note 4 tomorrow. With the extra software enhancements (s-pen functions, split windows, etc) in TW, I think I can put up with the ugliness.

That being said, I think there is definitely some Nova in my future.

Posted via Android Central App

Nova is the launcher right?

aeroPM

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Hey op, I was in your same boat. I can't stand TouchWiz, but got the note 4. I was concerned about the software and my concerns were not unwarranted. The software is ugly with blues and greens and random colors that don't look nearly as good as stock android or sense. Most of the extra features are overkill and do cause lag sometimes.

With all that said and for as much as I hate the look of TouchWiz Software on the note 4 the little things it adds are pretty sweet and the camera is amazing. For now, I'm sticking with the note because the (moto x, Droid turbo, nexus 6, one m8, LG g3, or any other flagship out right now) may be better looking software wise, but the combination of build quality, camera, s pen/note, battery and screen have so far made up for the software looks.

Just my opinion, but I came from htc and had the same concern you did.

godzillinois

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
So I'm going to be giving my brother my HTC one m8 that I'm using now and I'm going to be able to use his upgrade. I was looking at what's available and it seems like the best options on art right now are the note 4 and Moto X. I'm really leaning towards the note 4 because it looks like it outclasses the Moro x in just about everything. From battery life, performance, screen quality, and so on. However, the part I'm most nervous about out s software. I like stock android a lot epspeacily with material design. And touchwiz is rather different and paves over a lot of the material design elements, no? Is touchwiz really bad? Is it worth getting something else instead of Samsung?

This thread is getting way more complicated than it should be- just get the Note and use the Google Now launcher:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2014/08/06/stock-android-on-every-device/

mrgigabyte

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I had a droid maxx before my note 4 and with the note I am loving it, I do also use Nova as my launcher, you won't be sorry this is the best cell to date I have had

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
My issue is that I'm going to have to get the phone from the carrier since I can't afford to buy it off contract. So I'm unsure how the carriers are going to mess with the updates of the nexus 6 (or Moro x if I get that)

godzillinois

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
My issue is that I'm going to have to get the phone from the carrier since I can't afford to buy it off contract. So I'm unsure how the carriers are going to mess with the updates of the nexus 6 (or Moro x if I get that)

You're going to make yourself go crazy trying to 'predict' when or how updates will be doled out. No one knows for certain, the only thing anyone can give an educated guess on is that the Nexus 6 will likely get updates first. That isn't always a good thing considering how many bugs can happen. Plus, you can know for sure that the Note won't be too far behind with updates since they're a flagship phone for Samsung.

But like I said, one day Sprint can delay an update and the other day Verizon may have a bug in their update specific to them. You can never know or predict so don't waste your time making that a deciding factor.

IMO if you want a bigger phone with water-resistance, stock Android out of the box and possible first dibs at updates - go with Nexus. If you want a phone with a pen, replaceable battery and upgradeable storage go with the Note. Both are comparably fast and you can always get the stock Android look on the Note with the Google Now Launcher if Touch Wiz bothers you that much (I personally went with Nova Prime, it's insanely fast and extremely customizable.)

I don't notice any lag on the Note 4, but I have no experience with the M8. My friend has the M7 HTC One I believe, and that's nowhere near as smooth or fast as my Note. It's not like the latest Android on the Note is horrible, it's fast and I'm content with it.

JAG21979

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
However, the part I'm most nervous about out s software. I like stock android a lot epspeacily with material design. And touchwiz is rather different and paves over a lot of the material design elements, no? Is touchwiz really bad? Is it worth getting something else instead of Samsung?

The Note 4 is a top notch device, and the best according to multiple reputable reviewers. I've always used Nova Prime, and no exception with the Note 4. I've never experienced lag, but have seen some short delays for example when opening the Gallery from the camera. Samsung does add a lot of features to its devices, and if you don't like them don't use them, or if you want simplicity get a Nexus or Motorola because the Note is feature rich. Samsung isn't as fast to roll out updates say as fast as HTC or Motorola, but I think that is splitting hairs. Get the Note 4, try it for 14 days and if you like it keep it, if not return it and get something else. It's your hard earned money, so get what makes YOU happy.

LaTuFu

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
If you are the kind of person that lurks forums day in and day out, and it actually ruins your day that somewhere, someone else has received a software upgrade for your phone faster than you did, then stick with a Nexus device.

The claims of lag and TW blahs are greatly exaggerated on the Note 4. There are some lag issues experienced by some people, but it is not consistent and it is not crippling, so it certainly isn't enough to rule out this device. The things that almost everyone agrees on about the Note 4 compared to the current flagships available make it a solid choice: Best display of its peer group, best battery performance of its peer group, external storage capability, replaceable battery, one of the best cameras available in a smartphone today.

No smartphone is perfect. None of them have been, none will be. You won't be disappointed by owning a Note 4, even if it ends up having a few things here or there that don't meet your expectations.

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
Sorry for dredging this thread back up, but didn't want yo create a brand new one.

So, after thinking on it, I'm going to be getting the note 4 once my refund from Motorola gets processed through (taking a while though) although I may be annoyed with some things with touch wiz, I honestly don't hate it enough for it to be a deal breaker. Never owned a Samsung phone, so it'll be interesting coming from mostly all stock android devices to the note 4.

I do hope Samsung at least makes a attempt to update the phone regularly.

saiyyasuka pon

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
If u dont like the tw user interface. Use launcher.. it will settle ur prob..note 4 is multipurpose and i really use S pen software...multi window n etc..it so functional!

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
If u dont like the tw user interface. Use launcher.. it will settle ur prob..note 4 is multipurpose and i really use S pen software...multi window n etc..it so functional!

How much does a launcher cover up though? I'll still get touchwiz on stuff outside of the main home screen. Like the notification pane, settings menu, and etc.

qbnkelt

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
I've got to tell you that I've got the Note 4 and it's a fantastic device. Occasionally there is a bit if stutter or jag but it's so infrequent that it doesn't bother me at all. The device is fantastic. I would buy it again if anything happened to this one.

Sent from my gorgeous sexy white BEAST of a Note 4 ❤

godzillinois

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
How much does a launcher cover up though? I'll still get touchwiz on stuff outside of the main home screen. Like the notification pane, settings menu, and etc.

Download one and try it out, most are free or have free versions and it's easy to switch out. Nova Launcher is the best imo, and the Google Launcher basically makes your Phone look like stock Android