I'm worried

I'm sorry if this thread have been discussed a while ago
Thanks Guys

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Fast Charging Side Effect

Lithium batteries shouldn't be charged at a faster rate than 1C. (C is the capacity of the battery, so if the battery has a capacity of 3220mAh (3.2 Ah), it shouldn't be charged faster than 3.2 Amps. I doubt that you'll find charger capable of supplying more than that out of one port, and I don't think the phone can draw that much charging current.

Phones usually charge at a maximum current of about 1 Amp, so a 2 Amp charge would be a "fast charge" for a phone, but a lower than 1C charge as far as the battery is concerned, so it shouldn't cause any problems. (Even if you find a 10 Amp charger, the phone won't draw more than it's designed to, which is probably just over 1 Amp. [The Note 3 draws 1.2 Amps.])

iOSConvert2k14

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site

I've had the note 4 since October and fast charge every time I charge it except for the car because my car charger can't handle it. No side effects. And worse case scenario is that you have to get a new battery in like a year which is about 30 dollars so no biggie :) full throttle all day son!

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site

Uhmm... i got my note yesterday and i was wondering if fast charging
have a side effect on my battery
I'm worried

I'm sorry if this thread have been discussed a while ago
Thanks Guys

No reason to worry. It is designed for it.
If you aren't in a hurry, you can turn of the fast charge rate and then you have nothing to worry about.
It has been discussed a number of time. Search for the older threads for more info.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Lithium batteries shouldn't be charged at a faster rate than 1C. (C is the capacity of the battery, so if the battery has a capacity of 3220mAh (3.2 Ah), it shouldn't be charged faster than 3.2 Amps. I doubt that you'll find charger capable of supplying more than that out of one port, and I don't think the phone can draw that much charging current.

Phones usually charge at a maximum current of about 1 Amp, so a 2 Amp charge would be a "fast charge" for a phone, but a lower than 1C charge as far as the battery is concerned, so it shouldn't cause any problems. (Even if you find a 10 Amp charger, the phone won't draw more than it's designed to, which is probably just over 1 Amp. [The Note 3 draws 1.2 Amps.])
The note 3 charges at 5v/2a nominal. In practice I have seen around 5v/1.8a.

The Note 4 can do the same, though quick charge actually reduces the current but increases the voltage, 9v / 1.67a

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4

Arbietd21

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site

The side effect is when you charge it at a friend's house and they only have a regular charger it's painfully slow =/

Flashfox

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site

I do agree with your 1C charge rate for Li-Ion batteries but look at the fast charger that's supplied with the phone --> It offers 5V @ 2.0A (~10W) "or" 9V @ 1.67A (~15.6W). Standard chargers offer 5Vdc, some at 1A, some at 2A, 2.1A or 2.5A (never saw one with higher capacity). This charger seems to offer the 9Vdc port ... is THIS the "Secret ingredient"?

Does this mean that for the "fast charge" mode, the battery uses the 9Vdc port (electronic charger chip in the battery to manage the voltage & charge rate) which seems capable of providing more power (i.e. 15.6W vs. 10W)?

Seremedy

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site

It will due more harm than good. But very little almost unnoticeable. Its just a more powerful charger thats it. Every few years chargers continue to get more powerful. If i look at my like 5 year old samsung fascinate the charger output i weak ler compared to my htc one m8s charger or nexus 7s charger. The faster it charges the more stress and heat it piluts on the battery but it is slow slight that it really wont make much of a difference.

Posted via my Samsung GALAXY NOTE 4

kobe008

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site

When I charge at night I plug into a regular charger since it doesn't matter because I'm sleeping. When I need a boost during the day I will use my fast charger so I can get it unplugged quicker.

KoukiFC3S

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site

The battery surprisingly doesn't heat up much when fast charging.

Posted via the Android Central App

Salidmora

Apr 25, 2015
Visit site

Hi,
I have a question regarding the normal charging time of my note 4.
The first two times that I charged it, it ended approximately on 2 hours.
But the third and fourth time, it finished in about 7 hours.
Is it normal? Should I be worry and buy a new battery?