Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Force GPU Rendering - is this necessary?

scorpio001

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
Hey all,

Read about Force GPU Rendering in Developer Mode.

For my Note 4 octa-core v4.4.4, is it still necessary to keep this setting Checked as default to ensure it will use GPU to render all graphics?

Does more harm than good?

Keep it Checked anyways?

Will it result in better battery life?

Cheers, thanks.

Seremedy

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
Re: Force GPU Rendering - is this necessary?

It completely speeds up your phone. There was a huge difference in overall ui speed when I did that.

Posted via the NOTE 4 or NEXUS 9

Seremedy

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site

I was able to check turn off hardware overlays when fgr was checked.

Posted via my Samsung GALAXY NOTE 4

Snake Griffin

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site

It made a big difference for me on the Snapdragon variant. As far as I know it's up to the app developer to decide whether GPU rendering is enabled or how it's used. It is not necessary to have this enabled, which is why it's buried in the developer options, but it made scrolling and other things in most apps smoother for me.

Stolen form elsewhere:
" Enabling this preference in developer options offloads task of rendering window components like buttons, text and complex 2d graphics calculations to GPU. This often results in much faster UI rendering including animations. On one side you will definitely achieve better frame rate (and hence smooth experience) throughout system, but you may end up using more battery. On certain devices, GPU consumes more power the CPU, hence you may observe 5-15% lower battery life with option enabled.

I would recommend having this option enabled on devices with weaker CPUs e.g. You should seldom need to enable this on dual-core 1.4ghz ARM CPU.

Offloading UI rendering to GPU has obvious benefits so that CPU can work on other important tasks like database IO, data manipulation, layout calculations and responding to other user inputs"

Posted via the Android Central App

Carrtman

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site

As someone who is using an older tablet or allowed me to keep it at medium mode and still improve the speed to me the trade of its absolutely worth it

scorpio001

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site

So I gather as default best to keep this option as Checked (and 'forget') as it has more advantages than disadvantages.

scorpio001

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site

Unchecked FGR now on my Note 4 and can't see any noticeable difference in GUI speed between checked and unchecked.

Could it be that the octa-core Exynos version is using combination of its 1.3Ghz CPU and GPU?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Necessary ? If you want to speed the device up but ... You will most likely use more battery as well... So depends if that trade off is worth it for you.

makie

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site

So does it use more battery when unchecked or more?

Posted via the Android Central App

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site

Will use more battery when checked. But responsiveness will be worth it, fast and smooth. Good trade-off in my book's :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance